Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TIG Cart project...Sources for Cabinet or Drawers?

Hi,

I'm building up a cart for my welders, and want to put a small "chest
of drawers" to hold miscellaneous stuff. I'm having a hard time
finding something that will work, and wondered if anyone has some
ideas.

Ideally, I want a cabinet with 3-4 drawers, 15 to 18 inches wide,
about 15 inches tall, and about 18 inches deep. I can't seem to find
anything like this. I've seen many "side cabinet" tool boxes that
hang on the sides of large tool boxes, but the shortest one I've found
is 29 inches high.

Alternatively, I could make up my own, but shudder about doing so if I
have to cut up metal to weld up drawers. If I could just buy drawers,
or metal trays to make into drawers, that could be an option.

Anyone have any ideas or sources?

TIA, Jeff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-28, Jeff W wrote:
Ideally, I want a cabinet with 3-4 drawers, 15 to 18 inches wide,
about 15 inches tall, and about 18 inches deep. I can't seem to find
anything like this. I've seen many "side cabinet" tool boxes that
hang on the sides of large tool boxes, but the shortest one I've found
is 29 inches high.

I have a cabinet like this, but I have no idea where to find one. I
use it for storing taps, NC, NF and NS in their respective drawers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff W wrote:
Hi,

I'm building up a cart for my welders, and want to put a small "chest
of drawers" to hold miscellaneous stuff. I'm having a hard time
finding something that will work, and wondered if anyone has some
ideas.

How negotiable are the dimensions?

Would a couple stacked 'card cabinets' work for you?

*Card Holder Type : Double Drawer Card Cabinet
*Global Product Type : Card Holders
*Card Capacity : 3,200
*For Card Size : 6 x 9
*Color(s) : Black
*Material(s) : Steel
*Width : 20 5/8 in
*Depth : 16 in
*Height : 8 1/8 in

http://www.twinsupply.com/office/pro...?prod=BDY16694
http://www.officesupplieslane.com/bdy16694.html

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff W wrote:

Hi,

I'm building up a cart for my welders, and want to put a small "chest
of drawers" to hold miscellaneous stuff. I'm having a hard time
finding something that will work, and wondered if anyone has some
ideas.

Ideally, I want a cabinet with 3-4 drawers, 15 to 18 inches wide,
about 15 inches tall, and about 18 inches deep. I can't seem to find
anything like this. I've seen many "side cabinet" tool boxes that
hang on the sides of large tool boxes, but the shortest one I've found
is 29 inches high.

Alternatively, I could make up my own, but shudder about doing so if I
have to cut up metal to weld up drawers. If I could just buy drawers,
or metal trays to make into drawers, that could be an option.

Anyone have any ideas or sources?

TIA, Jeff

This one is a bit wider than your spec, but pretty close otherwise:

Or you could make the cart with slide in spots for a couple of these:

Another place to check is your local service truck / van supply place
since specialty drawer units are common there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 28, 1:35 pm, Jeff W wrote:
Hi,

I'm building up a cart for my welders, and want to put a small "chest
of drawers" to hold miscellaneous stuff. I'm having a hard time
finding something that will work, and wondered if anyone has some
ideas.

Ideally, I want a cabinet with 3-4 drawers, 15 to 18 inches wide,
about 15 inches tall, and about 18 inches deep. I can't seem to find
anything like this. I've seen many "side cabinet" tool boxes that
hang on the sides of large tool boxes, but the shortest one I've found
is 29 inches high.

Alternatively, I could make up my own, but shudder about doing so if I
have to cut up metal to weld up drawers. If I could just buy drawers,
or metal trays to make into drawers, that could be an option.

Anyone have any ideas or sources?

TIA, Jeff

Look at between-seat cargo van drawers, like they sell to plumbers or
electricians. That's what I got. Real hard to find used.

Grant Erwin
posting from google (dreaded) because teranews posting is *still* down

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff W wrote:
Hi,

I'm building up a cart for my welders, and want to put a small "chest
of drawers" to hold miscellaneous stuff. I'm having a hard time
finding something that will work, and wondered if anyone has some
ideas.

Ideally, I want a cabinet with 3-4 drawers, 15 to 18 inches wide,
about 15 inches tall, and about 18 inches deep. I can't seem to find
anything like this. I've seen many "side cabinet" tool boxes that
hang on the sides of large tool boxes, but the shortest one I've found
is 29 inches high.

Alternatively, I could make up my own, but shudder about doing so if I
have to cut up metal to weld up drawers. If I could just buy drawers,
or metal trays to make into drawers, that could be an option.

Anyone have any ideas or sources?

TIA, Jeff

How about using the drawers from a tool cart?
Something like these.

When I built my cart I set it up with drawers in the front and
discovered that they were getting filled with crud because the welder
controls usually need to face your work. I switched to side drawers and
they don't seem to get so crappy.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff W wrote:
Hi,

I'm building up a cart for my welders, and want to put a small "chest
of drawers" to hold miscellaneous stuff. I'm having a hard time
finding something that will work, and wondered if anyone has some
ideas.

Ideally, I want a cabinet with 3-4 drawers, 15 to 18 inches wide,
about 15 inches tall, and about 18 inches deep. I can't seem to find
anything like this. I've seen many "side cabinet" tool boxes that
hang on the sides of large tool boxes, but the shortest one I've found
is 29 inches high.

Alternatively, I could make up my own, but shudder about doing so if I
have to cut up metal to weld up drawers. If I could just buy drawers,
or metal trays to make into drawers, that could be an option.

Anyone have any ideas or sources?

TIA, Jeff

Why not make 'em out of sheetmetal?

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jeff W" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm building up a cart for my welders, and want to put a small "chest
of drawers" to hold miscellaneous stuff. I'm having a hard time
finding something that will work, and wondered if anyone has some
ideas.

Ideally, I want a cabinet with 3-4 drawers, 15 to 18 inches wide,
about 15 inches tall, and about 18 inches deep. I can't seem to find
anything like this. I've seen many "side cabinet" tool boxes that
hang on the sides of large tool boxes, but the shortest one I've found
is 29 inches high.

Alternatively, I could make up my own, but shudder about doing so if I
have to cut up metal to weld up drawers. If I could just buy drawers,
or metal trays to make into drawers, that could be an option.

Anyone have any ideas or sources?

TIA, Jeff

Look at tool boxes or tackle boxes. Lots of little spaces for stuff. Then
once you have found the right size box all you need to do is to weld up a
frame to hold it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 20:42:23 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Jeff W" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I put mine on a set of "muzzle loading" shelves 12" wide, 24" deep
with 10" vertical spacing, tucked in beside the cold air return for my
furnace. All made from scrap wood that I was going to have to pay for
disposal.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...retired_files/

See tigcart.txt and the accociated jpgs.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:35:02 GMT, Jeff W wrote:

Hi,

I'm building up a cart for my welders, and want to put a small "chest
of drawers" to hold miscellaneous stuff. I'm having a hard time
finding something that will work, and wondered if anyone has some
ideas.

Ideally, I want a cabinet with 3-4 drawers, 15 to 18 inches wide,
about 15 inches tall, and about 18 inches deep. I can't seem to find
anything like this. I've seen many "side cabinet" tool boxes that
hang on the sides of large tool boxes, but the shortest one I've found
is 29 inches high.

Alternatively, I could make up my own, but shudder about doing so if I
have to cut up metal to weld up drawers. If I could just buy drawers,
or metal trays to make into drawers, that could be an option.

Anyone have any ideas or sources?

TIA, Jeff

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 00:43:47 -0400, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

I put mine on a set of "muzzle loading" shelves 12" wide, 24" deep
with 10" vertical spacing, tucked in beside the cold air return for my
furnace. All made from scrap wood that I was going to have to pay for
disposal.

Your black powder is right next to the furnace? Talk about quick
disposal...

(Never mind that it's the cold air return or that you're talking about
the welding supplies. This is a misread, knee-jerk post.

--
Change is the process by which the future invades our lives.
-- Alvin Toffler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Jeff W wrote:
Hi,

I'm building up a cart for my welders, and want to put a small "chest
of drawers" to hold miscellaneous stuff. I'm having a hard time
finding something that will work, and wondered if anyone has some
ideas.

How negotiable are the dimensions?

Would a couple stacked 'card cabinets' work for you?

*Card Holder Type : Double Drawer Card Cabinet
*Global Product Type : Card Holders
*Card Capacity : 3,200
*For Card Size : 6 x 9
*Color(s) : Black
*Material(s) : Steel
*Width : 20 5/8 in
*Depth : 16 in
*Height : 8 1/8 in

http://www.twinsupply.com/office/pro...?prod=BDY16694
http://www.officesupplieslane.com/bdy16694.html

--Winston

I've pcked up several of those for $5 in thrift stores, and had some
given to me. I have a stack from the floor to the ceiling in the shop
that are full of tools & parts.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Winston wrote:

(Card cabinets)

I've pcked up several of those for $5 in thrift stores, and had some
given to me. I have a stack from the floor to the ceiling in the shop
that are full of tools & parts.

I bought a Cole 11-drawer cabinet (resembles a narrow flat file) from the
old "Weirdstuff Warehouse" in Sunnyvale CA for U$100 many years ago.
Looks identical to eBay item 380087171052.

The nearly - full extension drawers are on smoooooth rollers.

It's held my fastener collection for many years. I love that thing and
have been kicking myself for having left it's twin behind at the time.

--Winston