Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ultra thin screwdriver

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:42:20 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Hi folks,

I am looking for a flat screwdriver with an exceptionally thin blade,
for use on clock mechanisms. The blade needs to be at least 3/16" long,
but no more than 25/1000" thick. Does anyone know of a source for such a
screwdriver? UK sources are preferred, if anyone knows of them.

I know I can try grinding my own, but I'm not convinced I can do it neatly.

Follow-ups set to rec.crafts.metalworking.

Many thanks,

Chris Tidy

It's very easy to do "neatly" from a bit of drillrod (silver steel to
you) if you have access to a vertical mill. It can certainly be done
by hand with a Dremel but that does take a bit of patience and skill.

Check UK sources for gunsmith screwdrivers, if there are any.

You might even find something at Farnham's.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:58:23 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

Check UK sources for gunsmith screwdrivers, if there are any.

giggle Don't they even ban -butter- knives there.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi folks,

I am looking for a flat screwdriver with an exceptionally thin blade,
for use on clock mechanisms. The blade needs to be at least 3/16" long,
but no more than 25/1000" thick. Does anyone know of a source for such a
screwdriver? UK sources are preferred, if anyone knows of them.

I know I can try grinding my own, but I'm not convinced I can do it neatly.

Follow-ups set to rec.crafts.metalworking.

Many thanks,

Chris Tidy

It's very easy to do "neatly" from a bit of drillrod (silver steel to
you) if you have access to a vertical mill. It can certainly be done
by hand with a Dremel but that does take a bit of patience and skill.

I have access to a lathe, but not a vertical mill. The lathe has an
attachment for milling (right now I've forgotten its name), but it was
made by the lathe's previous owner and is not very satisfactory.

I haven't got a Dremel. I have always eschewed them in favour of more
powerful grinding tools. I just tend to use a variety of hand files for
Dremel-sized jobs.

You back up to speed now, Don? I remember you mentioning Labor Day as
one of your targets, and I think that just passed. How are you doing?

Best wishes,

Chris