Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ultra thin screwdriver

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Hi folks,

I am looking for a flat screwdriver with an exceptionally thin blade,
for use on clock mechanisms. The blade needs to be at least 3/16" long,
but no more than 25/1000" thick. Does anyone know of a source for such a
screwdriver? UK sources are preferred, if anyone knows of them.

I know I can try grinding my own, but I'm not convinced I can do it neatly.

Follow-ups set to rec.crafts.metalworking.

Many thanks,

Chris Tidy

Don't expect much torque out of it, but you might try a thickness gauge. You may still
need to grind the side to make it narrower.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al Patrick wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Hi folks,

I am looking for a flat screwdriver with an exceptionally thin blade,
for use on clock mechanisms. The blade needs to be at least 3/16"
long, but no more than 25/1000" thick. Does anyone know of a source
for such a screwdriver? UK sources are preferred, if anyone knows of
them.

I know I can try grinding my own, but I'm not convinced I can do it
neatly.

Follow-ups set to rec.crafts.metalworking.

Many thanks,

Chris Tidy

Don't expect much torque out of it, but you might try a thickness gauge.
You may still need to grind the side to make it narrower.

You mean a feeler gauge? I don't think one would be strong enough.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Al Patrick wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Hi folks,

I am looking for a flat screwdriver with an exceptionally thin blade,
for use on clock mechanisms. The blade needs to be at least 3/16"
long, but no more than 25/1000" thick. Does anyone know of a source
for such a screwdriver? UK sources are preferred, if anyone knows of
them.

I know I can try grinding my own, but I'm not convinced I can do it
neatly.

Follow-ups set to rec.crafts.metalworking.

Many thanks,

Chris Tidy

Don't expect much torque out of it, but you might try a thickness
gauge. You may still need to grind the side to make it narrower.

You mean a feeler gauge? I don't think one would be strong enough.

It's spring steel.
Slot the end of a piece of 3/16 drill rod to 1/2 or so.
Insert 3/16 wide piece of .025 feeler gauge. Or hacksaw blade as John
suggested. Either is good hard steel.
Leave just enough sticking out to bottom in the screw slot, probably
1/16" or so. Epoxy in place.
Add a handle for torque

Should be plenty strong enough.

You could also start the process with an old screwdriver with a 3/16 or
larger slotted shank.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Al Patrick wrote:

Christopher Tidy wrote:

[...]

While this might work, especially with a bi-metal hacksaw blade, I think
it sounds harder than trying to grind an existing screwdriver.

Chris

ultra light mdf news.tds.net Woodworking 2 September 19th 06 06:58 PM
Ultra Fin-any opinions? JJ Home Repair 1 April 10th 05 02:36 AM
armstrong ultra 3 80 ??? braveops Home Repair 4 December 14th 04 01:41 PM