Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Ultra thin screwdriver

RB wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Al Patrick wrote:

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Hi folks,

I am looking for a flat screwdriver with an exceptionally thin
blade, for use on clock mechanisms. The blade needs to be at least
3/16" long, but no more than 25/1000" thick. Does anyone know of a
source for such a screwdriver? UK sources are preferred, if anyone
knows of them.

I know I can try grinding my own, but I'm not convinced I can do it
neatly.

Follow-ups set to rec.crafts.metalworking.

Many thanks,

Chris Tidy

Don't expect much torque out of it, but you might try a thickness
gauge. You may still need to grind the side to make it narrower.

You mean a feeler gauge? I don't think one would be strong enough.

It's spring steel.
Slot the end of a piece of 3/16 drill rod to 1/2 or so.
Insert 3/16 wide piece of .025 feeler gauge. Or hacksaw blade as John
suggested. Either is good hard steel.
Leave just enough sticking out to bottom in the screw slot, probably
1/16" or so. Epoxy in place.
Add a handle for torque

Should be plenty strong enough.

You could also start the process with an old screwdriver with a 3/16 or
larger slotted shank.

While this might work, especially with a bi-metal hacksaw blade, I think
it sounds harder than trying to grind an existing screwdriver.

Chris