Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Gun Problem

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:27:50 -0500, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper
wrote:

I hope I'm not gonna have to fix this problem.

I bought this chick gun as I call it a couple of years ago I guess. It
is a Model 60 (I think) S&W .357 Mag. 5 shot. The other day I shot it
with another for the first time and this thing shoots 1.5' low @ maybe
200'. It has one of those like fiber optic plastic end sights and
wondering if I have to have the bottom of the big red dot above the
"rail".

The book and box are deep in storage. Am I gonna have to send this
thing back to the factory? The S&W site I tryed e-mailing before I
bought it was no help. How, do I go about fixing this problem. I'm
thinking it is just us, but I know how to shoot a gun and it is 1.5
feet low.

I've asked around here and all I get is "what ammo? and doesn't sound
good". BTW 120 g. Oh, seems to have excessive side shrapnel, I had to
stand back further than I thought when the other shot it.

I don't know what to do. Write snail mail to S&W, or call those bone
heads where I bought it. The latter might be fun.

Since I'm on guns. I can't get a .22 rifle up here and I'd like to
taste a goose for the first time before they all leave south like I
should be doing. LOL. What is the deal? I have two registered guns and
can't buy a pop gun. Suppose I'll have to wait and give a DNA sample
to get a shot gun to shoot partridge.

I might get back to the same place today and measure, probably way off
on the distance. Still, with all other hand guns that I've shot it has
never that bad. Horizontally seems good.

Been having problems with Agent, the read ones won't stay read for
some reason. So, having trouble navigating.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Took it back and had the land owner try it for the third person and he
broke out a screwdriver cause it did the same thing to him also. Got
it down to 3" right @ 100' and need a specifiable wrench to get it
further. Didn't ask about the shrapnel cause he was doing so good.
If someone can come within 8" max. at that distance it is ok for me.

Obviously they do not sight new guns at all. I assumed they would.

I'm good, I can shoot it now if I shoot 3" to the left till I get a
gun smith or wrench to move it over a bit past the screw drive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:15:39 -0500, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper
wrote:

Took it back and had the land owner try it for the third person and he
broke out a screwdriver cause it did the same thing to him also. Got
it down to 3" right @ 100' and need a specifiable wrench to get it
further. Didn't ask about the shrapnel cause he was doing so good.
If someone can come within 8" max. at that distance it is ok for me.

Obviously they do not sight new guns at all. I assumed they would.

I'm good, I can shoot it now if I shoot 3" to the left till I get a
gun smith or wrench to move it over a bit past the screw drive.

be careful..that barrel may be pinned into the frame

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Took it back and had the land owner try it for the third person and he
broke out a screwdriver cause it did the same thing to him also. Got
it down to 3" right @ 100' and need a specifiable wrench to get it
further. Didn't ask about the shrapnel cause he was doing so good.
If someone can come within 8" max. at that distance it is ok for me.

Obviously they do not sight new guns at all. I assumed they would.

I'm good, I can shoot it now if I shoot 3" to the left till I get a
gun smith or wrench to move it over a bit past the screw drive.

be careful..that barrel may be pinned into the frame

Lost me. Not gonna have anyone take it apart. Seemed to fix it with a
screw driver, it is close enough for now. I don't know gun smithing
and saw someone local, so might go see him. Or not, might figure out
how to buy the right wrench from S&W to move the site some more. And
check the alignment with the barrel like others have said.

Anyhow thanks guys, cause I was really worried, cause it was shooting
very badly to me.

It was for the big bad city, now it is just for higher food chain
animals before they eat me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Is that rear sight "fixed", i.e. mounted in a dove tail? If it is,
save your money buying a wrench from S&W. If it is anything like a
Glock you can make your own fixture. All it is is a clamp that fits
over the receiver with a jackscrew that forces the rear sight one way
or the other. The rear sight on my S&W 3904 9mm is adjustable with a
screwdriver for L/R and elevation but I'm not familiar with your
model.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-01, Jim Chandler wrote:
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:49:09 -0500, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper
wrote:

[ ... ]

Lost me. Not gonna have anyone take it apart. Seemed to fix it with a
screw driver, it is close enough for now. I don't know gun smithing
and saw someone local, so might go see him. Or not, might figure out
how to buy the right wrench from S&W to move the site some more. And
check the alignment with the barrel like others have said.

[ ... ]

Is that rear sight "fixed", i.e. mounted in a dove tail? If it is,
save your money buying a wrench from S&W. If it is anything like a
Glock you can make your own fixture. All it is is a clamp that fits
over the receiver with a jackscrew that forces the rear sight one way
or the other. The rear sight on my S&W 3904 9mm is adjustable with a
screwdriver for L/R and elevation but I'm not familiar with your
model.

Note that some models have the rear sight simply as a groove
milled into the top of the frame -- so there is no provision for
adjustment. And those are likely to have the front sight blade
silver-soldered to the barrel as well, so adjustment becomes really
difficult.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2 Oct 2008 01:56:42 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2008-10-01, Jim Chandler wrote:
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:49:09 -0500, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper
wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

I guess in that case you could open up the sight on the side you need
to corect to and solder up and black the other side. Crude, but
effective. :-)

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-01, Jim Chandler wrote:
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:49:09 -0500, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper
wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Or screw in the barrel a little, which is why Gunner was warning of
pinned barrels. Of course, that only works if the revolver is
shooting to the side aided by screwing in. Otherwise, you have to cut
the shoulder back, screw in again, and recut the forcing cone. Way
too much work.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-01, Jim Chandler wrote:
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:49:09 -0500, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper
wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

The rear site is adjustable vertically and horizontally. It's just the
guy said it was getting tight to move it anymore to the right. On the
other side of the set screw is one of those type of screws one would
see on a machine, can's recall the name at the moment, but looks like
two holes opposite each other. That is the tool I was talking about
and with it, it might enable me to move the sight further right.

Thanks for all the help.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-01, Jim Chandler wrote:
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:49:09 -0500, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper
wrote:

* *[ ... ]

[...]

Thanks for all the help.- Hide quoted text -

That's the sight screw nut and it's staked to the the adjustment
screw. Mess with that and the adjustment screw snaps, that's the
factory method for changing rear sight blades. Twist the nut until
the screw snaps and replace BOTH nut and screw after swapping the
blade. Then you have to have the special staking tool to stake the
new screw to the nut. Be careful with messing with stuff you don't
know about. It can get expensive!

Stan

On 2008-10-01, Jim Chandler wrote:
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:49:09 -0500, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper
wrote:

* *[ ... ]

[...]

Hmmm, back to the gunsmith idea. Thanks. Got me, need it to shoot
straight if a bear shows up.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-02, Pete Keillor wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 03:38:06 GMT, Jim Chandler wrote:

On 2 Oct 2008 01:56:42 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

Note that some models have the rear sight simply as a groove
milled into the top of the frame -- so there is no provision for
adjustment. And those are likely to have the front sight blade
silver-soldered to the barrel as well, so adjustment becomes really
difficult.

[ ... ]

I guess in that case you could open up the sight on the side you need
to corect to and solder up and black the other side. Crude, but
effective. :-)

[ ... ]

Or screw in the barrel a little, which is why Gunner was warning of
pinned barrels. Of course, that only works if the revolver is
shooting to the side aided by screwing in. Otherwise, you have to cut
the shoulder back, screw in again, and recut the forcing cone. Way
too much work.

Hmm ... steel shim stock washer to move the sight to the
"loosening" side?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-01, Jim Chandler wrote:
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:49:09 -0500, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper
wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Many revolvers with the barrels screwed into the frame, have a cross
pin to keep it screwed in. Tweaking the barrel one way or another a
degree or two to ajust for windage, is common on fixed sight
weapons..but that pin HAS to come out first.

Gunner

On 2008-10-01, Jim Chandler wrote:
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:49:09 -0500, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper
wrote:

[...]

Some..some...Smiths had a push/push screw adjustment, similar to lathe
gibs, Loosen up one side, screw the other in, moves the sight to the
loose side, etc etc

Gunner