Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Copper Wire laying around

I have entire boxes full of copper wire that has been stripped from
standard 14/2 UF cables. I also have even more scrap wire that can be
stripped.

Anyone have any good ideas on what to do with this? Should I melt it
and mold it (is that an option), should I use it as is? Any ideas
would be great.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

sell it for scrap.

On 2008-08-25, neogeo wrote:
I have entire boxes full of copper wire that has been stripped from
standard 14/2 UF cables. I also have even more scrap wire that can be
stripped.

Anyone have any good ideas on what to do with this? Should I melt it
and mold it (is that an option), should I use it as is? Any ideas
would be great.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Igor's right. The scrap value of copper is very high right now, and as world
copper prices ease off, the scrap value will be coming down. Sell it now.

Grant

Ignoramus9283 wrote:
sell it for scrap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Any cheap and easy ways to take the plastic off of wire that has not
ben stripped yet? it is all wound up and in small and large pieces.
IE, it is not easy to do by hand.

Igor's right. The scrap value of copper is very high right now, and as world
copper prices ease off, the scrap value will be coming down. Sell it now.

Grant

Ignoramus9283 wrote:
sell it for scrap.

On 2008-08-25, neogeo wrote:

I have entire boxes full of copper wire that has been stripped from
standard 14/2 UF cables. I also have even more scrap wire that can
be stripped.

Anyone have any good ideas on what to do with this? Should I melt
it and mold it (is that an option), should I use it as is? Any
ideas would be great.

Fire works well. Burning PVC is frowned upon in some circles,
but if you don't breathe in the phosgene, or if you have moisture,
the HCl...
/m

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

NeoGeo wrote:

Any cheap and easy ways to take the plastic off of wire that has not
ben stripped yet? it is all wound up and in small and large pieces.
IE, it is not easy to do by hand.

I have heard of electricians after a big job getting an old box springs &
putting all the wire drops on top of the box springs. Light 'er up.
Plenty of fumes and plumes of fire and smoke. Do it in the country with
fire extinguishers on hand.
--
John L. Weatherly

please remove XXXs to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jacketed copper scrap is getting pretty good prices right now. Take
it to a "secondary metals" company (eg..scrap yard) as is.

Here in Ontario it is illegal to burn the jacket off the wire, and
illegal for the scrap dealer to by wire that has had the jacket burned
off.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:00:34 -0400, "John L. Weatherly"
wrote:

NeoGeo wrote:

Any cheap and easy ways to take the plastic off of wire that has not
ben stripped yet? it is all wound up and in small and large pieces.
IE, it is not easy to do by hand.

I have heard of electricians after a big job getting an old box springs &
putting all the wire drops on top of the box springs. Light 'er up.
Plenty of fumes and plumes of fire and smoke. Do it in the country with
fire extinguishers on hand.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 25, 9:13 am, NeoGeo wrote:
Any cheap and easy ways to take the plastic off of wire that has not
ben stripped yet? it is all wound up and in small and large pieces.
IE, it is not easy to do by hand.

Do not know about cheap and easy, but if you had something like the
harbor freight rolling mill
4832-4, you could adjust the distance between the rollers to a bit
less than the copper diameter and run the wire thru the rollers. The
plastic would be split into two pieces and easily removed.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:00:34 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
"John L. Weatherly" quickly quoth:

NeoGeo wrote:

Any cheap and easy ways to take the plastic off of wire that has not
ben stripped yet? it is all wound up and in small and large pieces.
IE, it is not easy to do by hand.

I have heard of electricians after a big job getting an old box springs &
putting all the wire drops on top of the box springs. Light 'er up.
Plenty of fumes and plumes of fire and smoke. Do it in the country with
fire extinguishers on hand.

And I hope the fire department and the EPA catch every one so the
fidiots can be fined and/or arrested accordingly.

Many metal recyclers are no longer taking wire which has had its
insulation melted off in an effort to keep the tweakers from stealing
any more wiring out of homes, businesses, streetlights, etc.

--
Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government:
Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DrO DrO is offline

On Aug 25, 5:09*pm, " wrote:
On Aug 25, 9:13 am, NeoGeo wrote: Any cheap and easy ways to take the plastic off of wire that has not
ben stripped yet? *it is all wound up and in small and large pieces.
IE, it is not easy to do by hand.

Do not know about cheap and easy, but if you had something like the
harbor freight rolling mill
4832-4, you could adjust the distance between the rollers to a bit
less than the copper diameter and run the wire thru the rollers. *The
plastic would be split into two pieces and easily removed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan

IF you have over 30# of copper it would pay for the roller mill and
then you would have, no argument, #1 copper...sometimes the scrap
yard is fussy about how much carbon is left on the wire (oh yah have
your copper BBQ at night...) and robs you for #2...I took in a whole
bunch of plates from a big pile of old motors I got at an auction and
because they saw one spot of solder they tagged the whole pile as #2
(1/2 price at time). I've built a used oil smelter and I'm melting
all my stuff now into bricks.

DrO

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:14:19 -0500, neogeo
wrote:

I have entire boxes full of copper wire that has been stripped from
standard 14/2 UF cables. I also have even more scrap wire that can be
stripped.

Anyone have any good ideas on what to do with this? Should I melt it
and mold it (is that an option), should I use it as is? Any ideas
would be great.

Keep it so that you can make Explosively Formed Projectiles. When
George Bush gets his Nazi police state, becomes Der Fuhrer, and
armored vehicles are rolling through your area to cart you off for
extermination, you can blow them to smithereens like the insurgents do
to M1A1 Abrams tanks in Iraq. The molten copper even cuts through the
mighty Abrams' armor.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have entire boxes full of copper wire that has been stripped from
standard 14/2 UF cables. I also have even more scrap wire that can be
stripped.

Anyone have any good ideas on what to do with this? Should I melt it
and mold it (is that an option), should I use it as is? Any ideas
would be great.

Keep it so that you can make Explosively Formed Projectiles. When
George Bush gets his Nazi police state, becomes Der Fuhrer, and
armored vehicles are rolling through your area to cart you off for
extermination, you can blow them to smithereens like the insurgents do
to M1A1 Abrams tanks in Iraq. The molten copper even cuts through the
mighty Abrams' armor.
Dave

Dave? Bush is out in January.

Now Im glad to see your BDS is not yet reached the terminal stage yet,
but early onset madness appears to have occured.

Now EFPs, platter charges and so forth are likely to be called for
...but it will be the Democrats National Polizi that will be the
benificiaries of said devices.

But hey..it was a good idea nevertheless.

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,

On 2008-08-25, neogeo wrote:

I have entire boxes full of copper wire that has been stripped from
standard 14/2 UF cables. I also have even more scrap wire that can
be stripped.

Anyone have any good ideas on what to do with this? Should I melt
it and mold it (is that an option), should I use it as is? Any
ideas would be great.

Fire works well. Burning PVC is frowned upon in some circles,
but if you don't breathe in the phosgene, or if you have moisture,
the HCl...
/m

Clean #1 scrap copper brings the higher price .
Burnt copper attracts a lower price.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:04:04 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:37:11 -0400, wrote:
Keep it so that you can make Explosively Formed Projectiles. When
George Bush gets his Nazi police state, becomes Der Fuhrer, and
armored vehicles are rolling through your area to cart you off for
extermination, you can blow them to smithereens like the insurgents do
to M1A1 Abrams tanks in Iraq. The molten copper even cuts through the
mighty Abrams' armor.
Dave

Dave? Bush is out in January.

Now Im glad to see your BDS is not yet reached the terminal stage yet,
but early onset madness appears to have occured.

Now EFPs, platter charges and so forth are likely to be called for
..but it will be the Democrats National Polizi that will be the
benificiaries of said devices.

But hey..it was a good idea nevertheless.

Gunner

Dems....Repubs.....they are both bought and paid for and voting for
either is heading us all towards one world government. Da New World
Order.

It's time to get a whole slew of Ron Paul types up in DC and shake the
tree up.....people who actually want to live in a nation that still
has a Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the freedom that goes along
with it.

Ron Paul is probably incorrect about a return to the gold standard,
but he is absolutely correct about getting rid of the "Federal"
Reserve Bank.

The next Prez is going to inherit all those delicious Nazi powers that
GW Bush and Chenney gathered to the executive office, and I don't
think the next guy....dem or repub....will be giving them back.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Not a world gov't, just corporations running everything as they do in
the US.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

The "Nazi" powers have been around since FDRs (and before) time.
Think Gitmo was unique?

Google "Manzanar"....and "Army + Coal Strike"...and "bonus marchers"

The problem with Libertarians...is not that I agree with most of their
platforms..which I do..is that they are going about it from the wrong
end.

They want to put a libertarian in at the top. If they managed to do
so...little would change and he would last (1) term because the Dems
and Republicans would cry long and loud about not being able to work
with him, setting the process back and leaving a bad taste in
everyones mouth.

Want real change? Start putting Libertarians in at the bottom, local
government. City councils, dog catchers, ombudsmen etc Let it
percolate for a couple years, then vote them into state politics.
Representatives etc etc.

Let the public understand that they are not all open borders/free dope
types, Muzzle or disavow those individuals.
To date..Libertarians are considered cranks, wackjobs and free dopers
by the general public..who dont bother researching their other
platforms.

There is no way in hell that Dr. Paul is going to get more than a few
percentage points of the vote because Libertarians are not a household
word, except in jest for most of the nation. And its bad enough
that they scare the **** out of the liberals and their wards of the
State....

You can only make Dr. Paul and his crowd popular, is from the grass
roots upwards, not from the top down.. Shrug..unfortunate but true.

Check out your Republican politicans..see which ones hold Libertarian
values..Republitarians..make them popular, support them..keep them
honest

Whatever ultimately transpires, will first be a fusion between
Republican and Libertarian outlooks. Pragmatic

True Libertarianism can come later, but you have to acclimate the
public with the goals and agendas first....show the public that it can
work.

Sticking Ron Paul on the hotseat will do nothing at all, particularly
since both the Dems AND the Republican leadership will hate his guts,
and do everything in their power to thwart him at every turn.

Contrary to the bleeves of the ultra far left extremist fringe kooks
here and in the real world..the office of the President isnt
omnipotent and he isnt some sort of king. Unless Congress ..both
sides is willing to work with him...he is largely helpless unless he
has widespread support in local, state and Federal Government.

I like Ron Paul. I like where the Libertarian party is going..they
have been weeding out the nutbars.

But there is no way in hell we can put one in the Oval Office without
doing it from the ground up.

So voting for him..is simply taking a vote away from the only person
capable of keeping a Marxist out of the Whitehouse.

Remember Ross Perot.

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Right. Oh hell yes. ****ing aye. FursureDoood.

And they are doing it with mind control rays from black helicopters
and HAARP installations on the far side of the moon. Oh..and with
help from the Masons, the Illuminati and the TriLateralists..and the
aliens at Groom Lake.

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:47:09 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

The problem with Libertarians...is not that I agree with most of their
platforms..which I do..is that they are going about it from the wrong
end.

They want to put a libertarian in at the top. If they managed to do
so...little would change and he would last (1) term because the Dems
and Republicans would cry long and loud about not being able to work
with him, setting the process back and leaving a bad taste in
everyones mouth.

Want real change? Start putting Libertarians in at the bottom, local
government. City councils, dog catchers, ombudsmen etc Let it
percolate for a couple years, then vote them into state politics.
Representatives etc etc.

There ya go!

--big snip--

sigh True, and that means more of the same **** for years to come.

So voting for him..is simply taking a vote away from the only person
capable of keeping a Marxist out of the Whitehouse.

Remember Ross Perot.

Yeah, where 26% of American voters damnear turned this country around.
He scared the holy -****- out of both our thoroughly corrupted parties
(Reps and Dems for those of you in Rio Linda) and that likely won't
happen again.