Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spring loaded ball bearing.

How do you machine or fabricate a spring loaded ball bearing such as used
for indexing or tool holding? An example of what I am talking about is the
spring loaded ball that is on a socket ratchet or the end of a socket
extension bar.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 10:16*am, "Synergy" wrote:
How do you machine or fabricate a spring loaded ball bearing such as used
for indexing or tool holding? An example of what I am talking about is the
spring loaded ball that is on a socket ratchet or the end of a socket
extension bar.

Thanks

Search for "spring "plunger" he

http://www.mcmaster.com/

and save yourself some time.

dennis
in nca
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rigger wrote:

On Aug 20, 10:16 am, "Synergy" wrote:

How do you machine or fabricate a spring loaded ball bearing such as used
for indexing or tool holding? An example of what I am talking about is the
spring loaded ball that is on a socket ratchet or the end of a socket
extension bar.

Thanks

Search for "spring "plunger" he

http://www.mcmaster.com/

and save yourself some time.

dennis
in nca

Drill a blind hole. Put in spring. Push in ball. Peen end of hole so ball
can't quite come out.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

..
"Synergy" wrote in
message
How do you machine or fabricate a spring
loaded ball bearing such as used
for indexing or tool holding? An example of
what I am talking about is the
spring loaded ball that is on a socket ratchet
or the end of a socket
extension bar.

Thanks

If you just HAVE to do it---instead of buying
one----Poke a hole that your ball bearing
will slip into. Drop in a spring, ball bearing
on top. For a single one, push the bearing
down and stake the mouth of the hole so the
bearing can't come out. Depending on the size,
grind a cheap punch to a little chisel point and
upset the hole mouth an appropriate number of
times. For multiples, turn/harden a staking tool
that will push the ball down and do a full
circle stake with one whack.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:16:07 -0500, "Synergy"
wrote:

How do you machine or fabricate a spring loaded ball bearing such as used
for indexing or tool holding?

You buy a ball plunger...
http://www.mcmaster.com/param/images...s/3408a125.gif
on McMaster pp. 2250-2251

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Go someplace where they replace ball bearings and ask them for bad ones.
Cut the outer race apart and you will have balls. ---You did say
balls--- I just went to an electric motor repair shop last week and
asked for (in my case) the biggest bearings they had. They gave me 3.
Too large for your application, but, of course, they come in lots of
different diameters.

You can buy the balls at MSC. etc..

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------

Synergy wrote:

How do you machine or fabricate a spring loaded ball bearing such as used
for indexing or tool holding? An example of what I am talking about is the
spring loaded ball that is on a socket ratchet or the end of a socket
extension bar.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Synergy" wrote:

How do you machine or fabricate a spring loaded ball bearing such as used
for indexing or tool holding? An example of what I am talking about is the
spring loaded ball that is on a socket ratchet or the end of a socket
extension bar.

Are you asking about the ball and spring or the ball, spring and pawl, and wheel?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BillM" wrote in message
.
"Synergy" wrote in message
How do you machine or fabricate a spring loaded ball bearing such as used
for indexing or tool holding? An example of what I am talking about is
the
spring loaded ball that is on a socket ratchet or the end of a socket
extension bar.

Thanks

If you just HAVE to do it---instead of buying one----Poke a hole that your
ball bearing
will slip into. Drop in a spring, ball bearing on top. For a single one,
push the bearing
down and stake the mouth of the hole so the bearing can't come out.
Depending on the size, grind a cheap punch to a little chisel point and
upset the hole mouth an appropriate number of times. For multiples,
turn/harden a staking tool that will push the ball down and do a full
circle stake with one whack.

One problem I have experienced is getting the hole closed up too much so the
ball doesn't protude far enough. If possible, I would drill a small thru
hole so I could get a small drift behind the ball to adjust it or drive it
out for another try.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 11:16*am, "Synergy" wrote:
How do you machine or fabricate a spring loaded ball bearing such as used
for indexing or tool holding? An example of what I am talking about is the
spring loaded ball that is on a socket ratchet or the end of a socket
extension bar.

Thanks

See:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...ane%20balls&s=

Balls, springs and tooling

Cheaper for one-offs to get the whole detent package from the likes of
MSC, used for holding die parts in place and the like.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:29:22 -0500, spaco
wrote:

Cut the outer race apart and you will have balls

You don't really have to cut the race. Just pry out the cage that
holds the balls in place, and push all the balls together. The bearing
will then practically fall apart.
--
RoRo

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good comment. I now remember doing that with bearings when I was a kid.
These days I cut the race apart (hot) and use it to make hot working
chisels. They hold up real well.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------

wrote:

Cut the outer race apart and you will have balls

You don't really have to cut the race. Just pry out the cage that
holds the balls in place, and push all the balls together. The bearing
will then practically fall apart.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:31:51 -0500, spaco
wrote:

These days I cut the race apart (hot) and use it to make hot working
chisels.

There is another use of an old bearing: If you cut the race in only
one place and remove the burrs, you can use the cut race to drive in
the new bearing. The open race will be a very light press fit and can
easily be removed if it gets pressed into the bearing seat.
--
RoRo