Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Spring loaded ball bearing.

"BillM" wrote in message
news:WMYqk.280$482.87@trnddc06...
.
"Synergy" wrote in message
How do you machine or fabricate a spring loaded ball bearing such as used
for indexing or tool holding? An example of what I am talking about is
the
spring loaded ball that is on a socket ratchet or the end of a socket
extension bar.

Thanks

If you just HAVE to do it---instead of buying one----Poke a hole that your
ball bearing
will slip into. Drop in a spring, ball bearing on top. For a single one,
push the bearing
down and stake the mouth of the hole so the bearing can't come out.
Depending on the size, grind a cheap punch to a little chisel point and
upset the hole mouth an appropriate number of times. For multiples,
turn/harden a staking tool that will push the ball down and do a full
circle stake with one whack.

One problem I have experienced is getting the hole closed up too much so the
ball doesn't protude far enough. If possible, I would drill a small thru
hole so I could get a small drift behind the ball to adjust it or drive it
out for another try.

Don Young