Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anodising touch-up pen?

Hi folks,

I remember reading about an anodising touch-up pen somewhere. Not a
metallic paint marker, but a pen which uses a chemical to form a coating
similar to anodising. I want to touch-up a bit of silver anodised
aluminium on one of my gear pullers, which unfortunately got rubbed on
the edge.

Anyone know if such pens are available and if they're any good? Likely
sources would be appreciated (particularly sources in the UK).

Many thanks,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 13, 5:26*pm, Christopher Tidy
wrote:
Hi folks,

I remember reading about an anodising touch-up pen somewhere. Not a
metallic paint marker, but a pen which uses a chemical to form a coating
similar to anodising. I want to touch-up a bit of silver anodised
aluminium on one of my gear pullers, which unfortunately got rubbed on
the edge.

Anyone know if such pens are available and if they're any good? Likely
sources would be appreciated (particularly sources in the UK).

Many thanks,

Chris

You're thinking alodine. Only in the last few years has alodine touch
up pens made it into the market. Not cheap, either.

There are numbers that usually go with alodine, such as 600, 1200,
etc, that are expressions of the acid content and conversion coating.
Different kinds are for different applications. It's best for paint
preparations, as it helps the primer stick, which helps the paint
stick best. Not sure how well it will work for your application as it
tends to change the color to a tan or golden color. It doesn't come
in different colors, as that's not what it's for.

If you decide to get some, you must use it and store it according to
the instructions. Vapors of alodine and many solvents like to blow up
your storage containers, which is a bit of an understatement. I can't
tell you how many haz mat cabinets I've seen with alodine labels all
over it and one container inside, with the regular cabinet
overflowing. It's obviously not for the casual user.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 13, 6:26*pm, Christopher Tidy
wrote:
Hi folks,

I remember reading about an anodising touch-up pen somewhere. Not a
metallic paint marker, but a pen which uses a chemical to form a coating
similar to anodising. I want to touch-up a bit of silver anodised
aluminium on one of my gear pullers, which unfortunately got rubbed on
the edge.

Anyone know if such pens are available and if they're any good? Likely
sources would be appreciated (particularly sources in the UK).

Many thanks,

Chris

I played a bit with a solution that was supposed to be for touching up
black anodyzing, made a worse mess than just painting the sucker,
etched the surface to a nasty grey. Don't know of anything to touch
up a clear coating except some sort of lacquer or powdercoating. If
there WAS such a thing, they'd be using it as a dip bath instead of
anodyzing the stuff, it's an expensive process. For touchup, I
usually use a black permanent marker it's usually at least as durable
as the old decorative anodyzing. Doesn't help your problem, might help
somebody else. On a gear puller, who cares? It's not like it's on
public display 24/7 and it's not like it's going to rust in that
particular spot.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, those alodine markers are what I was thinking of. But, whoa,
they're expensive! Can they touch-up coloured anodising successfully?

As it happens, I solved the problem. I called the manufacturer to ask
how much a replacement part would cost, and they said "No problem, we'll
mail one to you free", which was a nice surprise. I guess the moral is
to ask, and sometimes you get lucky.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-08-14, Carl M wrote:

[ ... ]

You're thinking alodine. Only in the last few years has alodine touch
up pens made it into the market. Not cheap, either.

There are numbers that usually go with alodine, such as 600, 1200,
etc, that are expressions of the acid content and conversion coating.
Different kinds are for different applications. It's best for paint
preparations, as it helps the primer stick, which helps the paint
stick best. Not sure how well it will work for your application as it
tends to change the color to a tan or golden color. It doesn't come
in different colors, as that's not what it's for.

That, and unlike anodize, it enhances electrical conductivity
instead of insulating against it. So -- it is used as a protective
finish in military aircraft (and simulators such as a previous employer
used to make) where it is necessary to get a good ground connection when
you attach parts together.

It is also called "Iridite" (probably a different brand of the
same thing), and that is what they called it where I worked. I managed
to sneak a couple of home projects through the vats when working
graveyard shift. :-)

If you decide to get some, you must use it and store it according to
the instructions. Vapors of alodine and many solvents like to blow up
your storage containers, which is a bit of an understatement. I can't
tell you how many haz mat cabinets I've seen with alodine labels all
over it and one container inside, with the regular cabinet
overflowing. It's obviously not for the casual user.

A pity -- it is a nice way to go in terms of a finish which will
work with the need for electrical conductivity.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

That, and unlike anodize, it enhances electrical conductivity
instead of insulating against it. So -- it is used as a protective
finish in military aircraft (and simulators such as a previous employer
used to make) where it is necessary to get a good ground connection when
you attach parts together.

Don,

You are mistaken here. Alodine is an insulator. To get a good ground you
need to wirebrush it off (usually done with a wire brush in a drill with
a pin in the center to guide it). If you want to keep Alodine and not
scrape it off for bonding purposes, you must specify a "class 3" Alodine
finish- so thin that tightening a bolt will punch through the non
conductive conversion coating layer.
You can test this by taking a piece of alodined aluminum and placing a
smooth piece of metal on it (so as to not scrape the Alodine layer), and
measuring the resistance between them.

This is covered in section 6.1.2.1 of MIL-C-5541, which can be
downloaded he

http://www.assistdocs.com/search/sea...tus%5F all=ON

Kevin Gallimore

How does touch R Kannan Electronics Repair 13 September 1st 07 08:53 PM
touch up Tony Pacc Home Repair 2 December 12th 06 03:00 AM
Touch-n-Glow touch activation adapter for fluorescent fixtures. [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 2nd 05 04:02 AM
O/T: A Nice Touch Lew Hodgett Woodworking 7 September 30th 05 06:22 PM