Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl M Carl M is offline

Default Anodising touch-up pen?

On Aug 13, 5:26*pm, Christopher Tidy
wrote:
Hi folks,

I remember reading about an anodising touch-up pen somewhere. Not a
metallic paint marker, but a pen which uses a chemical to form a coating
similar to anodising. I want to touch-up a bit of silver anodised
aluminium on one of my gear pullers, which unfortunately got rubbed on
the edge.

Anyone know if such pens are available and if they're any good? Likely
sources would be appreciated (particularly sources in the UK).

Many thanks,

Chris

You're thinking alodine. Only in the last few years has alodine touch
up pens made it into the market. Not cheap, either.

There are numbers that usually go with alodine, such as 600, 1200,
etc, that are expressions of the acid content and conversion coating.
Different kinds are for different applications. It's best for paint
preparations, as it helps the primer stick, which helps the paint
stick best. Not sure how well it will work for your application as it
tends to change the color to a tan or golden color. It doesn't come
in different colors, as that's not what it's for.

If you decide to get some, you must use it and store it according to
the instructions. Vapors of alodine and many solvents like to blow up
your storage containers, which is a bit of an understatement. I can't
tell you how many haz mat cabinets I've seen with alodine labels all
over it and one container inside, with the regular cabinet
overflowing. It's obviously not for the casual user.