Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chinese Diesel Generator

A couple years back there was a long string about an import special
diesel generator plus someone had a web site describing his trials with
it. Google just isn't getting it for me, any help?

I've been asked to acquire a one of these for a project. It needs to be
the classic simple design, lousy castings, poor fitup, works when you
finally get all the bugs out, runs on any fuel that is handy kind of
machine. Looking for the 10 to 20 hp range, 6 to 12 kw. Sources?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 17:45:36 -0500, RoyJ wrote:

A couple years back there was a long string about an import special
diesel generator plus someone had a web site describing his trials with
it. Google just isn't getting it for me, any help?

I've been asked to acquire a one of these for a project. It needs to be
the classic simple design, lousy castings, poor fitup, works when you
finally get all the bugs out, runs on any fuel that is handy kind of
machine. Looking for the 10 to 20 hp range, 6 to 12 kw. Sources?

I consulted a few years back with a customer who manufactures generator
sets. They had me working on electronic speed control of one of their
diesel gen-sets.

They mentioned that the market was going away because of emissions
concerns in the US and elsewhere.

Are you sure that you can still get these things new?

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-08-09, RoyJ wrote:
A couple years back there was a long string about an import special
diesel generator plus someone had a web site describing his trials with
it. Google just isn't getting it for me, any help?

Jim Lerch?

http://lerch.no-ip.com/ChangFa_Gen/

I've been asked to acquire a one of these for a project. It needs to be
the classic simple design, lousy castings, poor fitup, works when you
finally get all the bugs out, runs on any fuel that is handy kind of
machine. Looking for the 10 to 20 hp range, 6 to 12 kw. Sources?

ebay should work

They would not be my choice, they boil water out for cooling.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RoyJ writes:

Sources?

I can't remember which one, I think it was Sam's Club, that had a diesel
set about that size, here in Florida around the 2005 hurricanes. Coulda
been BJs or maybe Costco.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

At work designing aircraft avionics we are having application trouble
with ground support Diesel generators not regulating well enough to keep
aircraft circuitry from over and under Voltage shut down.

On my cousin's tug boat, they have some Diesels that can govern
themselves well enough for generation and some can't. He tells me that
half the Caterpillar manual is on governors.

I have a Yamaha 4 stroke generator that hunts [governor oscillates] if
the carburetor is too lean. This is caused by unity gain out of phase in
the feed back loop at the oscillating frequency. Ring ting ting ting
Ring ting ting ting... as the lights get brighter and dimmer.

What does it all mean?
Diesel generators might not be something buy cheap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks!!!!!!

wrote:

A couple years back there was a long string about an import special
diesel generator plus someone had a web site describing his trials with
it. Google just isn't getting it for me, any help?

I've been asked to acquire a one of these for a project. It needs to be
the classic simple design, lousy castings, poor fitup, works when you
finally get all the bugs out, runs on any fuel that is handy kind of
machine. Looking for the 10 to 20 hp range, 6 to 12 kw. Sources?

This it?

http://lerch.no-ip.com/ChangFa_Gen/

H.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Clark Magnuson wrote:
At work designing aircraft avionics we are having application trouble
with ground support Diesel generators not regulating well enough to keep
aircraft circuitry from over and under Voltage shut down.

On my cousin's tug boat, they have some Diesels that can govern
themselves well enough for generation and some can't. He tells me that
half the Caterpillar manual is on governors.

I have a Yamaha 4 stroke generator that hunts [governor oscillates] if
the carburetor is too lean. This is caused by unity gain out of phase in
the feed back loop at the oscillating frequency. Ring ting ting ting
Ring ting ting ting... as the lights get brighter and dimmer.

What does it all mean?
Diesel generators might not be something buy cheap.

The clear solution is the inverter route, then you don't care much about
the generator frequency.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chinese Diesel Generator--- could be a Listeroid

Google "Listeroid". Or put "listeroid" in the youtube search criteria.
You will be entertained for hours. These are knockoffs of a 1930's
British Lister diesel engine. They run at slow speeds and can last for
40 years in regular service. The basic single cylinder engine develops
5 hp at 600 rpm. The biggest is a two cylinder running at 1200 rpm, I
think.
The single cylinder engine wieghs about 800 pounds. It is HUGE!----
You'll see.
You will see them pumping water and running generators all over the
world. They are made in many (usually) third world countries like
India, China, etc. Several US compnaies import them, including my
neighbor. People run them on vegatable oil or biodiesel. They collect
all the heat (using a marine exhaust manifold to get the exhaust heat,
and passing the cooling water through heat exchangers) and use that to
supplement other heat sources.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

RoyJ wrote:
A couple years back there was a long string about an import special
diesel generator plus someone had a web site describing his trials with
it. Google just isn't getting it for me, any help?

I've been asked to acquire a one of these for a project. It needs to be
the classic simple design, lousy castings, poor fitup, works when you
finally get all the bugs out, runs on any fuel that is handy kind of
machine. Looking for the 10 to 20 hp range, 6 to 12 kw. Sources?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:
[...]

You might be better off finding a genuine Lister.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote in
:

spaco wrote:
[...]

The indian Listers are about as close as you'll get since they are using
the original tooling and equipment from the UK factory. India bought out a
load of UK manufacturing and relocated it to india. Royal Enfield 500's,
Morris minor's, Listers and so on.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-08-12, Jerry wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote in
:

spaco wrote:
[...]

Maybe worn out British equipment, but definitely Indian workmanship.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:04:00 -0500, Ignoramus6985

On 2008-08-12, Jerry wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote in
:

spaco wrote:
[...]

More likely over unionized than worn out.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SNIP

The indian Listers are about as close as you'll get since they are using
the original tooling and equipment from the UK factory. India bought out
load of UK manufacturing and relocated it to india. Royal Enfield 500's,
Morris minor's, Listers and so on.

Maybe worn out British equipment, but definitely Indian workmanship.

The Morris cars in India were still being manufactured until quite
recently. I was told last november when I was there, that the spare body
parts wouldnt fit the older cars as the dies were so worn that they wen't
keeping to the original shape.