Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Simple Easy Storage Hooks

Ok, I know a lot of you guys are serious fabricators, but this was a simple
easy thing I found to store some heavy extension cords and ropes out in the
shop. I took a section of 1/2" EMT and bent the end into a nice U shape
with a conduit bender. I bent the basic 90 it is designed to do, then
shifted the bender a few inches and made a slight bend several times until I
had a nice U shape on the end of the tube. Then I whacked the long leg
about 8 inches longer than the stub and with my chop saw. By positioning
the two support plates on my hydraulic press, and applying force I got a
nice flat to screw to the wall or whatever. A few quick punches with the
drill press and they were ready to go. Not something I would use in a nice
home garage, but they are really handy and look great in a working shop
building. The only thing I couldn't do with other tools probably is make
those neat U bends in the conduit. In my case I had an area with several
metal storage shelves that set back out of the way, so I just shot tech
screw into them to mount the hooks. A word of warning. I would not do this
to free standing shelves. Mine are screwed and secured to the cross perling
of the building, and can not over balance with any amount of weight I could
safely put on the hooks. If they were free standing, and you were to put
several heavy extension cords on them it might not be safe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Ok, I know a lot of you guys are serious fabricators, but this was a simple
easy thing I found to store some heavy extension cords and ropes out in the
shop. I took a section of 1/2" EMT and bent the end into a nice U shape
with a conduit bender.

I do the same thing with discarded cable TV co-ax - the aluminum stuff
bends easily but still holds extension cords etc and never rusts

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
In article , "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Ok, I know a lot of you guys are serious fabricators, but this was a
simple
easy thing I found to store some heavy extension cords and ropes out in
the
shop. I took a section of 1/2" EMT and bent the end into a nice U shape
with a conduit bender.

I do the same thing with discarded cable TV co-ax - the aluminum stuff
bends easily but still holds extension cords etc and never rusts

You must be talking about 500 hardline or something like that. Regular RG6
or even quad shield RG6 is to limber to make any kind of a hook. Either
that or I misunderstood and you are using it as twine.

Bobb La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
In article , "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Ok, I know a lot of you guys are serious fabricators, but this was a
simple
easy thing I found to store some heavy extension cords and ropes out in
the
shop. I took a section of 1/2" EMT and bent the end into a nice U shape
with a conduit bender.

I do the same thing with discarded cable TV co-ax - the aluminum stuff
bends easily but still holds extension cords etc and never rusts

You must be talking about 500 hardline or something like that. Regular RG6
or even quad shield RG6 is to limber to make any kind of a hook. Either
that or I misunderstood and you are using it as twine.

Yes I am using the hardline, it comes on BIG wooden spools and the cable
people discard short lengths all the time. 50' is too short for them to
use.

Easy-install wall hooks: where to get? David Nebenzahl Home Repair 10 August 1st 08 01:23 PM
Sail hooks Frayed Knots Metalworking 6 January 27th 06 10:33 AM
Hooks - where from? Sim G. UK diy 2 June 13th 05 08:23 AM