Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default Simple Easy Storage Hooks

Ok, I know a lot of you guys are serious fabricators, but this was a simple
easy thing I found to store some heavy extension cords and ropes out in the
shop. I took a section of 1/2" EMT and bent the end into a nice U shape
with a conduit bender. I bent the basic 90 it is designed to do, then
shifted the bender a few inches and made a slight bend several times until I
had a nice U shape on the end of the tube. Then I whacked the long leg
about 8 inches longer than the stub and with my chop saw. By positioning
the two support plates on my hydraulic press, and applying force I got a
nice flat to screw to the wall or whatever. A few quick punches with the
drill press and they were ready to go. Not something I would use in a nice
home garage, but they are really handy and look great in a working shop
building. The only thing I couldn't do with other tools probably is make
those neat U bends in the conduit. In my case I had an area with several
metal storage shelves that set back out of the way, so I just shot tech
screw into them to mount the hooks. A word of warning. I would not do this
to free standing shelves. Mine are screwed and secured to the cross perling
of the building, and can not over balance with any amount of weight I could
safely put on the hooks. If they were free standing, and you were to put
several heavy extension cords on them it might not be safe.