Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Made a Tool

Pics in the DB:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/
See wrench.txt and the accociated JPGs.

These pics show a turning tool for
removing the starter bolts on a
Mercruiser 5.0 V8 boat engine.
Due to the location of the starter 32"
below the engine bay deck and the
proximity of the engine bearing stringer
to the engine, there is no way to get
sufficient torque on a hand held wrench,
and no clearance to get a ratchet/socket
combination on the starter bolts. The pipe is 1"OD
X1/8" wall; 48" long. The bar is 1/4" HRS.
This tool slips underneath the starter,
engaging the starter bolts. It brings the
pivot point up out of the engine bay, where
a breaker bar can be attached to apply the
needed touque to remove these bolts.
JR
Dweller in the cellar
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For some reason, it takes forever for the DropBox list to load (55 sec
on broadband*). So here are the direct links:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench01.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench02.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench03.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench04.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench05.jpg

Bob

*Yeah, I know - 55 secs is nothing for you poor saps on dial up, so I
should stop my whining.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
For some reason, it takes forever for the DropBox list to load (55 sec on
broadband*). So here are the direct links:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench01.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench02.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench03.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench04.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench05.jpg

Bob

*Yeah, I know - 55 secs is nothing for you poor saps on dial up, so I
should stop my whining.

another interesting observation - I can open the links in IE, but not in
firefox - it says the format is invalid - that's new....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:34:01 -0700, JR North
wrote:

Pics in the DB:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/
See wrench.txt and the accociated JPGs.

These pics show a turning tool for
removing the starter bolts on a
Mercruiser 5.0 V8 boat engine.
Due to the location of the starter 32"
below the engine bay deck and the
proximity of the engine bearing stringer
to the engine, there is no way to get
sufficient torque on a hand held wrench,
and no clearance to get a ratchet/socket
combination on the starter bolts. The pipe is 1"OD
X1/8" wall; 48" long. The bar is 1/4" HRS.
This tool slips underneath the starter,
engaging the starter bolts. It brings the
pivot point up out of the engine bay, where
a breaker bar can be attached to apply the
needed touque to remove these bolts.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

What joy when a shop-made tool gits 'er done!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Noble" wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
For some reason, it takes forever for the DropBox list to load (55 sec
on broadband*). So here are the direct links:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench01.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench02.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench03.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench04.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench05.jpg

Bob

*Yeah, I know - 55 secs is nothing for you poor saps on dial up, so I
should stop my whining.

another interesting observation - I can open the links in IE, but not in
firefox - it says the format is invalid - that's new....

They open fine for me just now in firefox 2.0.0.15

--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com/
http://NewsReader.Com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"JR North" wrote in message
Pics in the DB:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/
See wrench.txt and the accociated JPGs.

These pics show a turning tool for
removing the starter bolts on a
Mercruiser 5.0 V8 boat engine.
Due to the location of the starter 32"
below the engine bay deck and the
proximity of the engine bearing stringer
to the engine, there is no way to get
sufficient torque on a hand held wrench,
and no clearance to get a ratchet/socket
combination on the starter bolts. The pipe is 1"OD
X1/8" wall; 48" long. The bar is 1/4" HRS.
This tool slips underneath the starter,
engaging the starter bolts. It brings the
pivot point up out of the engine bay, where
a breaker bar can be attached to apply the
needed touque to remove these bolts.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Cool, when do we go fishing?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:34:01 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, JR
North quickly quoth:

Pics in the DB:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/
See wrench.txt and the accociated JPGs.

Good show, but...

Sacre bleu! At least wirebrush 'em before show, JR. Tres gauche! g
Paint hides hinky welding somewhat, too. DAMHIKT

These pics show a turning tool for
removing the starter bolts on a
Mercruiser 5.0 V8 boat engine.
Due to the location of the starter 32"
below the engine bay deck and the
proximity of the engine bearing stringer
to the engine, there is no way to get
sufficient torque on a hand held wrench,
and no clearance to get a ratchet/socket
combination on the starter bolts. The pipe is 1"OD
X1/8" wall; 48" long. The bar is 1/4" HRS.
This tool slips underneath the starter,
engaging the starter bolts. It brings the
pivot point up out of the engine bay, where
a breaker bar can be attached to apply the
needed touque to remove these bolts.

That reminds me of my old wrenchin' days, JR. I had to make tools to
get in strange places. I ground down open- and box-end wrenches so
they'd fit under Holley carb bowls. And I welded box-end wrenches to
bent 1/4" rods to make Chebby distributor tools, etc. The boss'
rosebud helped me bend a wrench for starter access, too.

Ah, those were the days. I have some '89 Bronco brakes to work on
this morning. That reminds me of the adjusting wrench I cut down to
work on Toyonka truck brakes. I still keep it in my truck toolbag.

---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16 Jul 2008 06:30:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
(Curt Welch) quickly quoth:

"William Noble" wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
For some reason, it takes forever for the DropBox list to load (55 sec
on broadband*). So here are the direct links:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench01.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench02.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench03.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench04.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench05.jpg

Bob

*Yeah, I know - 55 secs is nothing for you poor saps on dial up, so I
should stop my whining.

another interesting observation - I can open the links in IE, but not in
firefox - it says the format is invalid - that's new....

They open fine for me just now in firefox 2.0.0.15

I had trouble yesterday, especially with wrench02.jpg, and I run FF2.
Maybe we were all jumping on there at once and slowing it down.

I "upgraded" to FF v3 a few weeks ago and immediately returned to a
better version. They ruined the History and Bookmarks -again- in v3,
damn them, and the TinyUrl wasn't yet updated for use with v3. sigh
I earbanged 'em for all that and sent an update request to the progger
for TinyUrl. If you upgrade, give them all more feedback, please.

---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 16, 12:34 pm, JR North wrote:
Pics in the DB:http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/
See wrench.txt and the accociated JPGs.

These pics show a turning tool for
removing the starter bolts on a
Mercruiser 5.0 V8 boat engine.
Due to the location of the starter 32"
below the engine bay deck and the
proximity of the engine bearing stringer
to the engine, there is no way to get
sufficient torque on a hand held wrench,
and no clearance to get a ratchet/socket
combination on the starter bolts. The pipe is 1"OD
X1/8" wall; 48" long. The bar is 1/4" HRS.
This tool slips underneath the starter,
engaging the starter bolts. It brings the
pivot point up out of the engine bay, where
a breaker bar can be attached to apply the
needed touque to remove these bolts.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Thats seriously competent metalwork when you can make tools to do a
oddball job - query - how did you get the starter OUT of the engine
bay, looks like a distinct lack or exit room...

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Next Question (memories of my 1973 Anacapri):
How did you hold the starter motor in the proper position with one
hand, while starting one bolt with the other hand, while lying on your side,
reaching down at an awkward angle, and dealing with sweat
running into your eyes and having your glasses fall into the bilge?

--
Peter DiVergilio
Most of the money I've wasted was mostly spent trying to impress people who

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-16, William Noble wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message

[ ... ]

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench01.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench02.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench03.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench04.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench05.jpg

[ ... ]

another interesting observation - I can open the links in IE, but not in
firefox - it says the format is invalid - that's new....

No problems with Opera on A Sun SPARC based workstation running
Solaris 10 as the OS.

Also no problems with either Mozilla or Firefox on the same
platform.

Now -- I find myself wondering about a tool in my collection. A
hollow wrench handle with the standard 3/8" male near the end, and a
3/8" female near the handle, with a roller chain and two sprockets
connecting them, so you can work your wrench a bit more out in the open.
and get full benefit from the ratchet which you are using to drive it.
Obviously not good for really high torque, but for reasonable levels, it
is nice. If you had a lot of these to do over time, you might make up
one with two legs of chain and some idlers at the elbow.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My Firefox opened it just fine.

I think you have a parameter off or a virus detector or mommy doesn't trust
domain issue.

I was able to read all of them.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

William Noble wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
For some reason, it takes forever for the DropBox list to load (55 sec on
broadband*). So here are the direct links:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench01.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench02.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench03.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench04.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wrench05.jpg

Bob

*Yeah, I know - 55 secs is nothing for you poor saps on dial up, so I
should stop my whining.

another interesting observation - I can open the links in IE, but not in
firefox - it says the format is invalid - that's new....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm using 2.0.0.16 and have never had problems with Tinyurl .
It sounds like a setting issue or trusted site issue.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

"William Noble" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I use my CNC plasma table all the time like that as well.

With a bender on a press, Stick and TIG welder, lathe and mill
life in the tool section gets better and better.
Sometimes it isn't a tool, but a custom bracket/brace/design.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
I'm using 2.0.0.16 and have never had problems with Tinyurl .
It sounds like a setting issue or trusted site issue.

Martin

I don't think so, it's something about the way FF 3.x interprets those
jpegs - it says invalid format, if it was an untrusted site it wouldn't try
to open them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:47:33 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Martin H. Eastburn" quickly quoth:

I'm using 2.0.0.16 and have never had problems with Tinyurl .
It sounds like a setting issue or trusted site issue.

I said that TinyUrl isn't updated for v3 yet, Martin. I switched back
to v2 because of that and the hosed history/bookmarks in v3. Someone
tell these guys that they're not supposed to go BACKWARDS in dev when
they release a new version. sigh

---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

More innovation, of course. A VW Rabbit factory car jack fits between
the starter and the stringer, and when cranked, opens in a 'V' fashion
and holds the starter in place for hands-free bolting.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

peter divergilio wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Its a sqeaker....
JR
Dweller in the cellar

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Version 3.x is beta or experimental I suppose.
I just got the latest production patch.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/