Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Made a Tool

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:34:01 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, JR
North quickly quoth:

Pics in the DB:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/
See wrench.txt and the accociated JPGs.

Good show, but...

Sacre bleu! At least wirebrush 'em before show, JR. Tres gauche! g
Paint hides hinky welding somewhat, too. DAMHIKT

These pics show a turning tool for
removing the starter bolts on a
Mercruiser 5.0 V8 boat engine.
Due to the location of the starter 32"
below the engine bay deck and the
proximity of the engine bearing stringer
to the engine, there is no way to get
sufficient torque on a hand held wrench,
and no clearance to get a ratchet/socket
combination on the starter bolts. The pipe is 1"OD
X1/8" wall; 48" long. The bar is 1/4" HRS.
This tool slips underneath the starter,
engaging the starter bolts. It brings the
pivot point up out of the engine bay, where
a breaker bar can be attached to apply the
needed touque to remove these bolts.

That reminds me of my old wrenchin' days, JR. I had to make tools to
get in strange places. I ground down open- and box-end wrenches so
they'd fit under Holley carb bowls. And I welded box-end wrenches to
bent 1/4" rods to make Chebby distributor tools, etc. The boss'
rosebud helped me bend a wrench for starter access, too.

Ah, those were the days. I have some '89 Bronco brakes to work on
this morning. That reminds me of the adjusting wrench I cut down to
work on Toyonka truck brakes. I still keep it in my truck toolbag.

---