Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why is machining so dirty?

Subject almost says it all.
Making a tube so I can splice two refrigeration hoses (manifold gauge hoses)
together since nobody is willing to sell me the needed fitting to my 30 lb.
bottle of R-134.

Start with 1/4" diameter by 2" long piece of air hardened steel. Put it in
3 jaw chuck. Drill full length with an 1/8" drill bit. Try to cram it into
the hoses, too big. Back into the 3 jaw, live center in tail stock, reduce
the diameter, flip it end for end and reduce the rest to match. Clean up
with a little piece of emery cloth. Project complete, except my hands are
filthy black.

Tools are relatively clean. Chuck key is pretty clean. 1/4" rod is brand
new. Why is machining so filthy? Does this happened to you guys also?
Seriously, I could do a brake job on my truck and only get half as dirty!!
What gives?

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Subject almost says it all.
[...]

Stop doing warm-up cuts on graphite blocks.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-02, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Subject almost says it all.
Making a tube so I can splice two refrigeration hoses (manifold gauge hoses)
together since nobody is willing to sell me the needed fitting to my 30 lb.
bottle of R-134.

Start with 1/4" diameter by 2" long piece of air hardened steel. Put it in
3 jaw chuck. Drill full length with an 1/8" drill bit. Try to cram it into
the hoses, too big. Back into the 3 jaw, live center in tail stock, reduce
the diameter, flip it end for end and reduce the rest to match. Clean up
with a little piece of emery cloth. Project complete, except my hands are
filthy black.

Tools are relatively clean. Chuck key is pretty clean. 1/4" rod is brand
new. Why is machining so filthy? Does this happened to you guys also?
Seriously, I could do a brake job on my truck and only get half as dirty!!
What gives?

this stuff, including barstock, is dirtier than it looks.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It is a badge of honour. As long as you do not do surgery in your day job
when it can get teensy weensy embarrasing. Barrier cream before, Orange
Cleaner after...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
newsZCak.156$wa1.90@trndny07...
Subject almost says it all.
Making a tube so I can splice two refrigeration hoses (manifold gauge
hoses) together since nobody is willing to sell me the needed fitting to
my 30 lb. bottle of R-134.

Start with 1/4" diameter by 2" long piece of air hardened steel. Put it
in 3 jaw chuck. Drill full length with an 1/8" drill bit. Try to cram it
into the hoses, too big. Back into the 3 jaw, live center in tail stock,
reduce the diameter, flip it end for end and reduce the rest to match.
Clean up with a little piece of emery cloth. Project complete, except my
hands are filthy black.

Tools are relatively clean. Chuck key is pretty clean. 1/4" rod is brand
new. Why is machining so filthy? Does this happened to you guys also?
Seriously, I could do a brake job on my truck and only get half as dirty!!
What gives?

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary writes:

Making a tube so I can splice two refrigeration hoses (manifold gauge
hoses) together since nobody is willing to sell me the needed fitting
to my 30 lb. bottle of R-134.

The approved way is to buy or make brass barbed connectors to make
Frankenhoses. Hidden at your all-night WalMart with the air tool supplies.
Likewise braze adapters out of brass pieces cut from off-the-shelf
fittings.

Of course it is an EPA felony to mix up your refrigerant kit, or retrofit
R12 gages to R134a fittings, etc. So this is, um, a purely hypothetical
suggestion, for educational purposes only. I am required to disclose that
you should discard all your R12 gear and replace it with Chinese versions
with original government-approved fittings.

Betcha didn't know metalworking could be criminal.

Betcha never thought criminal law would incorporate metalworking
specifications. Thou shalt not mix left hand threads with right, it is an
abomination. Cf 40 CFR (http://www.epa.gov/air/caa/).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Ivan Vegvary writes:

Making a tube so I can splice two refrigeration hoses (manifold gauge
hoses) together since nobody is willing to sell me the needed fitting
to my 30 lb. bottle of R-134.

The approved way is to buy or make brass barbed connectors to make
Frankenhoses.

Like these?

http://www.rparts.com/Catalog/Tools_...gauge_sets.asp

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in
message newsZCak.156$wa1.90@trndny07...

Why is machining so filthy? Does this
happened to you guys also? Seriously, I could
do a brake job on my truck and only get half
as dirty!! What gives?

Ivan Vegvary

Perhaps you are a dirt magnet. I have the
affliction, and it may be hereditary. I
could walk through a level 7 clean room and come
out with dirt on me. Forget
about wearing white, it's just an invitation to
disaster. My wife thinks it's some kind
of negative charge thing---she is sure that dirt
will jump up to 20 ft just to cling
to me.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Machining is dirty to keep girls from doing it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dan H wrote:
Machining is dirty to keep girls from doing it.

If ya ain't dirty, ya ain't workin'

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Forget
about wearing white, it's just an invitation to disaster. My wife thinks
it's some kind
of negative charge thing---she is sure that dirt will jump up to 20 ft
just to cling
to me.

Bill

I don't wear white either. I am kind of like PigPen in the old Peanut
comics.

CarlBoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Ivan Vegvary writes:

[...]

You are so right about the above. I guess I need to go from a 1/4" flare to
an acme thread. The web site indicated about 3 messages down show the right
fitting. I simply don't understand why the 30 lb. bottle of 134 did not
come with a male 'acme' thread instead of the old 1/4" stuff. I did go to
my local ACE hardware to pick up two fittings that I could silver solder
into one. As soon as I saw that they had 3/16" and 1/4" barbed hose
splices, I purchase those. One of those should be a good fit for my two
cobbled together hoses. BTW, my local ACE has lots of brass fittings,
however, they tend to be about $ 5-6 each.

Thanks for you ideas.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl writes:

Like these?

http://www.rparts.com/Catalog/Tools_...gauge_sets.asp

Yep. Illegal adapters.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You have iron oxide (black) on your hands. Micro ships
or scraping tiny bits or from grinding / sanding.

I turned some custom made Iron. That was full of carbon!
It smelled of oily carbon.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Subject almost says it all.
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary writes:

I simply don't understand why the 30 lb. bottle of 134 did not
come with a male 'acme' thread instead of the old 1/4" stuff.

It may depend on whether it was sold for auto use or fixed refrigeration.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:19:12 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:
Ivan Vegvary writes:

I simply don't understand why the 30 lb. bottle of 134 did not
come with a male 'acme' thread instead of the old 1/4" stuff.

It may depend on whether it was sold for auto use or fixed refrigeration.

It's the exact same R-134a inside the bottle, only the fittings are
changed to increase the prices...

Adapters between SAE Flare and ACME Flare are readily available
premade at any refrigeration supply house, for a lot less than it
costs to make them. I have them.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 22:18:54 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Carl
Boyd" quickly quoth:

Forget
about wearing white, it's just an invitation to disaster. My wife thinks
it's some kind
of negative charge thing---she is sure that dirt will jump up to 20 ft
just to cling
to me.

I don't wear white either. I am kind of like PigPen in the old Peanut
comics.

You're likely describing the entire group here, guys. We DO things and
we MAKE stuff and we FIX stuff. That gets us dirty. End of story.

I wear white only in my nightmares.

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 07:06:10 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I wear white only in my nightmares.

Dreaming you're Yanni or Ricardo Montalban?

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:19:43 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Ned
Simmons quickly quoth:

wrote:

I wear white only in my nightmares.

Dreaming you're Yanni or Ricardo Montalban?

No, The Loooooooooooooooooooooone Raaaaaaaaaaaaaanger, Tonto.

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Tools are relatively clean. Chuck key is pretty clean. 1/4" rod is brand
new. Why is machining so filthy? Does this happened to you guys also?
Seriously, I could do a brake job on my truck and only get half as dirty!!
What gives?

Oh, try machining cast iron and get back to me about nasty and dirty.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:

Dreaming you're Yanni or Ricardo Montalban?

Grand Kleegal Sen. Byrd?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yep! cast iron is dirty stuff! If you have a shop vacum, its a good trick
to get the nozzle near the gutting tip and collect it as fast as it comes
off the work. Its abrasive and sticky when it gets rusty so wire it off the
ways of the lathe as soom as you finish the job .