Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HVLP, what paint to use

I now have a Ingersoll Rand HVLP gun and would like to give it a try,
but I am am not certain, at this point, what sorts of paint would be
suitable. For instance, can oil paint be used? Does it need to be
thinned?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:54:23 -0500, Ignoramus12603
wrote:

I now have a Ingersoll Rand HVLP gun and would like to give it a try,
but I am am not certain, at this point, what sorts of paint would be
suitable. For instance, can oil paint be used? Does it need to be
thinned?

Oil or alkyd, and almost certainly thinned. Find the gun
instructions, and they will have minimum and maximum viscosity specs.

That's the time you use that Saybold Viscosity test cup with the
metering orifice - you lift it out of the paint and time how long it
takes for the cup to drain. Too long to empty add more thinner to the
paint, too quick add more paint to the thinner.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:54:23 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus12603 quickly quoth:

I now have a Ingersoll Rand HVLP gun and would like to give it a try,
but I am am not certain, at this point, what sorts of paint would be
suitable. For instance, can oil paint be used? Does it need to be
thinned?

Trolling on a Sunday morning, Ig? tsk, tsk, tsk

As I said, _RTFM_! It will tell you what the needle and seat size are
and what paints they'll spray capably. It'll also tell you what size
needle and seat you'll need for the paint you want to spray with that
particular gun.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I now have a Ingersoll Rand HVLP gun and would like to give it a try,
but I am am not certain, at this point, what sorts of paint would be
suitable. For instance, can oil paint be used? Does it need to be
thinned?

Oil or alkyd, and almost certainly thinned. Find the gun
instructions, and they will have minimum and maximum viscosity specs.

That's the time you use that Saybold Viscosity test cup with the
metering orifice - you lift it out of the paint and time how long it
takes for the cup to drain. Too long to empty add more thinner to the
paint, too quick add more paint to the thinner.

-- Bruce --

And filter the paint. A few little specks of solids to clog the gun and
you'll waste a huge amount of time cleaning it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 21, 9:54 pm, Ignoramus12603 ignoramus12...@NOSPAM.
12603.invalid wrote:
I now have a Ingersoll Rand HVLP gun and would like to give it a try,
but I am am not certain, at this point, what sorts of paint would be
suitable. For instance, can oil paint be used? Does it need to be
thinned?

I use Rustoleum Alkyd Enamel (the expensive kind, not the cheap stuff)
and thin it between 2:1 and 3:1 with acetone in my Craftsman HVLP
gun. It works pretty good. I've painted a couple cars and a bunch of
theatrical scenery (don't ask) with it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-22, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:54:23 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus12603 quickly quoth:

I now have a Ingersoll Rand HVLP gun and would like to give it a try,
but I am am not certain, at this point, what sorts of paint would be
suitable. For instance, can oil paint be used? Does it need to be
thinned?

Trolling on a Sunday morning, Ig? tsk, tsk, tsk

As I said, _RTFM_! It will tell you what the needle and seat size are
and what paints they'll spray capably. It'll also tell you what size
needle and seat you'll need for the paint you want to spray with that
particular gun.

Actually, my Ingersoll-Rand gun manual is very sparse and does not
talk about it. I wish it did and I did read it.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

12603.invalid wrote:
I now have a Ingersoll Rand HVLP gun and would like to give it a try,
but I am am not certain, at this point, what sorts of paint would be
suitable. For instance, can oil paint be used? Does it need to be
thinned?

I use Rustoleum Alkyd Enamel (the expensive kind, not the cheap stuff)
and thin it between 2:1 and 3:1 with acetone in my Craftsman HVLP
gun. It works pretty good. I've painted a couple cars and a bunch of
theatrical scenery (don't ask) with it.

So, you would use 3 parts of Rustoleum Alkyd Enamel with 1 part of
acetone, right?

Would you say that the consistency is that of motor oil? Or thinner?
Maybe like spindle oil?

Where did you buy that enamel?
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I now have a Ingersoll Rand HVLP gun and would like to give it a try,
but I am am not certain, at this point, what sorts of paint would be
suitable. For instance, can oil paint be used? Does it need to be
thinned?

--

Iggy...

....go to rec.woodworking and find subject line from 6-20-08 titiled "HVLP &
Latex : Follow-up

And go from there...lots of go info, clear and concise.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

12603.invalid wrote:
I now have a Ingersoll Rand HVLP gun and would like to give it a try,
but I am am not certain, at this point, what sorts of paint would be
suitable. For instance, can oil paint be used? Does it need to be
thinned?

I use Rustoleum Alkyd Enamel (the expensive kind, not the cheap stuff)
and thin it between 2:1 and 3:1 with acetone in my Craftsman HVLP
gun. It works pretty good. I've painted a couple cars and a bunch of
theatrical scenery (don't ask) with it.

So, you would use 3 parts of Rustoleum Alkyd Enamel with 1 part of
acetone, right?

Would you say that the consistency is that of motor oil? Or thinner?
Maybe like spindle oil?

Where did you buy that enamel?

Igor,

JC Licht is a chain paint store in the Chicago area and I've bought Benjamin
Moore alkyd enamel paint from them in the past. It was around $70 a gallon
for a custom mixture a decade or so ago and the chip pan on the mill it went
on is still in good shape. The big box stores probably have other brands of
similar alkyd enamel paint.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus12603" wrote in message
I now have a Ingersoll Rand HVLP gun and would like to give it a try,
but I am am not certain, at this point, what sorts of paint would be
suitable. For instance, can oil paint be used? Does it need to be
thinned?

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

Iggy,
Give Arnie's auto body supply a call. They will help you out without all
the flamers here. Let them know the model,serial, and intended application,
Arnie is a great guy. (815) 726-6106

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:00:22 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus422 quickly quoth:

On 2008-06-22, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:54:23 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus12603 quickly quoth:

I now have a Ingersoll Rand HVLP gun and would like to give it a try,
but I am am not certain, at this point, what sorts of paint would be
suitable. For instance, can oil paint be used? Does it need to be
thinned?

Trolling on a Sunday morning, Ig? tsk, tsk, tsk

As I said, _RTFM_! It will tell you what the needle and seat size are
and what paints they'll spray capably. It'll also tell you what size
needle and seat you'll need for the paint you want to spray with that
particular gun.

Actually, my Ingersoll-Rand gun manual is very sparse and does not
talk about it. I wish it did and I did read it.

What size needle and seat does it have, Ig? Most have a similar taper
so they'll be guides for you. Suggestions:

1) Find another manual which covers it and see how that works for you.

Here's mine, with a 1.4mm set:
http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...3999/43430.PDF

2) Tell your local paint supplier what you have and ask for advice.

3) RTFlabel on the can for their suggestions.

4) Just take it out, mix paint, and spray something. Adjust to suit.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12603 wrote:

I now have a Ingersoll Rand HVLP gun and would like to give it a try,
but I am am not certain, at this point, what sorts of paint would be
suitable. For instance, can oil paint be used? Does it need to be
thinned?

Yes and yes.

Jim Chandler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:54:23 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus12603 quickly quoth:

I now have a Ingersoll Rand HVLP gun and would like to give it a try,
but I am am not certain, at this point, what sorts of paint would be
suitable. For instance, can oil paint be used? Does it need to be
thinned?

Trolling on a Sunday morning, Ig? tsk, tsk, tsk

As I said, _RTFM_! It will tell you what the needle and seat size are
and what paints they'll spray capably. It'll also tell you what size
needle and seat you'll need for the paint you want to spray with that
particular gun.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren

You are making the assumption that he has a new unit with a manual. If
he bought a used unit, there may not BE a manual for him to read.

Jim

hvlp Swampbug Woodworking 29 January 15th 08 04:03 AM
HELP NEEDED ON HVLP PAINT GUN jusme Metalworking 12 August 28th 07 08:10 AM
DIY HVLP Bill Stock Woodworking 6 September 27th 06 11:53 AM
hvlp brianlanning Woodworking 57 February 18th 06 02:56 AM
HVLP paint spayers Stan Namdiel Woodworking 5 April 11th 05 02:32 PM