Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default HVLP, what paint to use

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:00:22 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus422 quickly quoth:

On 2008-06-22, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:54:23 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus12603 quickly quoth:

I now have a Ingersoll Rand HVLP gun and would like to give it a try,
but I am am not certain, at this point, what sorts of paint would be
suitable. For instance, can oil paint be used? Does it need to be
thinned?

Trolling on a Sunday morning, Ig? tsk, tsk, tsk

As I said, _RTFM_! It will tell you what the needle and seat size are
and what paints they'll spray capably. It'll also tell you what size
needle and seat you'll need for the paint you want to spray with that
particular gun.

Actually, my Ingersoll-Rand gun manual is very sparse and does not
talk about it. I wish it did and I did read it.

What size needle and seat does it have, Ig? Most have a similar taper
so they'll be guides for you. Suggestions:

1) Find another manual which covers it and see how that works for you.

Here's mine, with a 1.4mm set:
http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...3999/43430.PDF

2) Tell your local paint supplier what you have and ask for advice.

3) RTFlabel on the can for their suggestions.

4) Just take it out, mix paint, and spray something. Adjust to suit.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren