Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing bearing if shaft is too long.

I need to remove a bearing from a motor shaft. My Posi Lock puller,
unfortunately, does not have enough reach to grab the bearing because
the shaft is too long. Is there something that can be easily done. I
did have to make some makeshift tools to remove the pulley, but this
is a different case because pulley had holes in the back.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus17809 wrote:
I need to remove a bearing from a motor shaft. My Posi Lock puller,
unfortunately, does not have enough reach to grab the bearing because
the shaft is too long. Is there something that can be easily done. I

Since you're not good at probolem solving, I suggest you just cut the
shaft off until it fits your puller.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-17, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus17809 wrote:
I need to remove a bearing from a motor shaft. My Posi Lock puller,
unfortunately, does not have enough reach to grab the bearing because
the shaft is too long. Is there something that can be easily done. I

Since you're not good at probolem solving, I suggest you just cut the
shaft off until it fits your puller.

Is that how you solve your problems?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus17809"
wrote in
message
I need to remove a bearing from a motor shaft.
My Posi Lock puller,
unfortunately, does not have enough reach to
grab the bearing because
the shaft is too long. Is there something that
can be easily done. I
did have to make some makeshift tools to
remove the pulley, but this
is a different case because pulley had holes
in the back.

Do you want to save the bearing? If not, find
a piece of pipe that will slip over the shaft.
Weld a plate/nut on one end for a pusher bolt.
Slip it down to the bearing and weld the pipe to
the bearing. Turn pusher bolt.

If it's a larger bearing I just torch them off.
Wear a full face shield---when the oxygen hits
the grease the fireball can be amazing.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-17, BillM wrote:

"Ignoramus17809"
wrote in
message
I need to remove a bearing from a motor shaft.
My Posi Lock puller,
unfortunately, does not have enough reach to
grab the bearing because
the shaft is too long. Is there something that
can be easily done. I
did have to make some makeshift tools to
remove the pulley, but this
is a different case because pulley had holes
in the back.

Do you want to save the bearing?

No.

If not, find
a piece of pipe that will slip over the shaft.
Weld a plate/nut on one end for a pusher bolt.
Slip it down to the bearing and weld the pipe to
the bearing. Turn pusher bolt.

If it's a larger bearing I just torch them off.
Wear a full face shield---when the oxygen hits
the grease the fireball can be amazing.

Good thinking. I may be able to get my angle grinder there.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 17, 11:26 am, Ignoramus17809 ignoramus17...@NOSPAM.
17809.invalid wrote:
I need to remove a bearing from a motor shaft. My Posi Lock puller,
unfortunately, does not have enough reach to grab the bearing because
the shaft is too long. Is there something that can be easily done. I
did have to make some makeshift tools to remove the pulley, but this
is a different case because pulley had holes in the back.

from Google Groups.

Sorry, I use what I use. GG isn't THAT bad.

If the bearing is bad, you could buy some pipe large and long enough
to fit, plus two caps or reducers, not all at the same time & place.
Notch one cap to fit over the shaft behind the bearing, screw on the
pipe, put a hose clamp around it to keep it on. Tap the other end cap
for threaded rod.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus17809" wrote:
Is that how you solve your problems?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not problems, "probolems."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

17809.invalid wrote:
I need to remove a bearing from a motor shaft. My Posi Lock puller,
unfortunately, does not have enough reach to grab the bearing because
the shaft is too long. Is there something that can be easily done. I
did have to make some makeshift tools to remove the pulley, but this
is a different case because pulley had holes in the back.

from Google Groups.

Sorry, I use what I use. GG isn't THAT bad.

If the bearing is bad, you could buy some pipe large and long enough
to fit, plus two caps or reducers, not all at the same time & place.
Notch one cap to fit over the shaft behind the bearing, screw on the
pipe, put a hose clamp around it to keep it on. Tap the other end cap
for threaded rod.

Jim Wilkins

Heh, you think that's bad (buying pipe bomb parts) I was taking some
video/photos at the airport yesterday (outside), kept expecting to
have to answer some questions, even though its perfectly legal.

I wonder why the heck one, and just one, blue angel flew in?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How long is too long? Can't you make a longer extension ( the links that
limit your puller reach) for your puller to temporarily replace the original
one? Motor bearings don't normally require much pulling force to slide them
out so a DIY puller replacement links made out of small flat bars should
work.
But, if you are not skilled enough to do basic drilling and cutting of
metals my suggestion won't be of much use to you.

"Ignoramus17809" wrote in message
|I need to remove a bearing from a motor shaft. My Posi Lock puller,
| unfortunately, does not have enough reach to grab the bearing because
| the shaft is too long. Is there something that can be easily done. I
| did have to make some makeshift tools to remove the pulley, but this
| is a different case because pulley had holes in the back.
|
| --
| Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
| to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
| from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
| more readers you will need to find a different means of
| posting on Usenet.
| http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

P D Fritz wrote:
How long is too long? Can't you make a longer extension ( the links that
limit your puller reach) for your puller to temporarily replace the original
one? Motor bearings don't normally require much pulling force to slide them
out so a DIY puller replacement links made out of small flat bars should
work.
But, if you are not skilled enough to do basic drilling and cutting of
metals my suggestion won't be of much use to you.

he's not, don't worry.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-17, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus17809 wrote:
I need to remove a bearing from a motor shaft. My Posi Lock puller,
unfortunately, does not have enough reach to grab the bearing because
the shaft is too long. Is there something that can be easily done. I

Since you're not good at probolem solving, I suggest you just cut the
shaft off until it fits your puller.

Is that how you solve your problems?

No, I cry on the internet about them. This helps because I can't think at
all and needs lots of hand holding for everything and anything I try to
do.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:26:43 -0500, Ignoramus17809
wrote:

I need to remove a bearing from a motor shaft. My Posi Lock puller,
unfortunately, does not have enough reach to grab the bearing because
the shaft is too long. Is there something that can be easily done. I
did have to make some makeshift tools to remove the pulley, but this
is a different case because pulley had holes in the back.

Bearing splitter, and a steering wheel puller, or a press. ED
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Several possibilities;
1. heat the bearing until it slips or can be easily driven off.
2. Cut the inner race with a cutting torch with the flame aligned with
the shaft axis
3. cut the bearing outer race off, remove balls/rollers and cut the
inner race diagonally with a 3" cutting disc.
I use #s 1 and 2 the most.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Ignoramus17809 wrote:
I need to remove a bearing from a motor shaft. My Posi Lock puller,
unfortunately, does not have enough reach to grab the bearing because
the shaft is too long. Is there something that can be easily done. I
did have to make some makeshift tools to remove the pulley, but this
is a different case because pulley had holes in the back.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need to remove a bearing from a motor shaft. My Posi Lock puller,
unfortunately, does not have enough reach to grab the bearing because
the shaft is too long. Is there something that can be easily done. I
did have to make some makeshift tools to remove the pulley, but this
is a different case because pulley had holes in the back.

Bearing splitter, and a steering wheel puller, or a press. ED

I think that the press, is the best answer so far. I will do that.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

17809.invalid wrote:
[...]

S/He might be the one who pre-flies the course looking for obstacles.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus17809 wrote:
I need to remove a bearing from a motor shaft. My Posi Lock puller,
unfortunately, does not have enough reach to grab the bearing because
the shaft is too long. Is there something that can be easily done. I
did have to make some makeshift tools to remove the pulley, but this
is a different case because pulley had holes in the back.

Pull the bearing off the other end, the shaft is shorter there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'ld have to see the exact nature of what you are pulling, but I have pulled
bearings and/or busings off a shaft with my hydraulic press. I slid a steel
plate in behind the bearing on each side and pushed the shaft out. Since I
have switched to an air operated jack on my press this goes pretty quickly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
Several possibilities;
1. heat the bearing until it slips or can be easily driven off.
2. Cut the inner race with a cutting torch with the flame aligned with the
shaft axis
3. cut the bearing outer race off, remove balls/rollers and cut the inner race
diagonally with a 3" cutting disc.
I use #s 1 and 2 the most.

I use #3 with either a die grinder or a Dremmel tool with a cutoff wheel.
Strangely, the harder the metal, the easier it cuts with an abrasive disk.
Bearings tend to be hard. :-) You can cut the inner race off and leave barely a
scratch on the shaft.

In my submarine days, we often had to remove some really large motor bearings.
We almost always cut them off with a die grinder & cutoff wheel, but I once saw
a old Chief simply shatter one off with a hammer & chisel in a matter of seconds
with no damage to anything (except to the old bearing).

Vaughn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 21:33:27 GMT, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:

"JR North" wrote in message
. ..
Several possibilities;
1. heat the bearing until it slips or can be easily driven off.
2. Cut the inner race with a cutting torch with the flame aligned with the
shaft axis
3. cut the bearing outer race off, remove balls/rollers and cut the inner race
diagonally with a 3" cutting disc.
I use #s 1 and 2 the most.

I use #3 with either a die grinder or a Dremmel tool with a cutoff wheel.
Strangely, the harder the metal, the easier it cuts with an abrasive disk.
Bearings tend to be hard. :-) You can cut the inner race off and leave barely a
scratch on the shaft.

This is what I came up with recently, put a good cut in opposite
sides, insert screwdriver and pop it off.Not a mark on the shaft.

In my submarine days, we often had to remove some really large motor bearings.
We almost always cut them off with a die grinder & cutoff wheel, but I once saw
a old Chief simply shatter one off with a hammer & chisel in a matter of seconds
with no damage to anything (except to the old bearing).

Vaughn

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.. My Posi Lock puller,
unfortunately, does not have enough reach to grab the bearing because
the shaft is too long. Is there something that can be easily done.

When I have this situation I go to a local automotive machine shop.
They have a press that will handle 4 foot shafts for situations like
yours. I hand them a 5 and they are happy. A cold case of beer on a
Friday afternoon is also acceptable.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need to remove a bearing from a motor shaft. My Posi Lock puller,
unfortunately, does not have enough reach to grab the bearing because
the shaft is too long. Is there something that can be easily done. I
did have to make some makeshift tools to remove the pulley, but this
is a different case because pulley had holes in the back.

Hydraulic shop press, and the right two-piece bearing press jig.
This is the perfect excuse - "We're going to The Hardware Store!"

And on that subject, Go watch this - You too, Gunner! I can
absolutely "Money Back Guarantee" you'll like it:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/hws

Sound Warning: Turn it down a notch or two before hitting play,
especially if you work in a Cube Farm or the baby is down for the
night. Hey, it's a Weird Al Yankovic song, he does *nothing* quietly.

If you go to the author's site there's a Full Screen, Full Motion,
high bitrate audio version available. But since it's over 6 MB, the
author asked me not to send everyone straight there. If you desire,
you can find.

* * * *

Okay. Now then, back to the topic...

If you don't have the proper bearing press jig or it's an odd
configuration, two chunks of heavy plate or 1/2 X 6" bar stock with
half-circle holes for the shaft. Go as thick as you can yet get in
behind the bearing.

And put some padding under the press for the armature to land on,
like a pile of cardboard boxes or a trashcan full of packing peanuts -
use your imagination. Sometimes they pop loose and the armature will
freefall out the bottom of the press, and you don't want it bouncing
off concrete (hard on the armature) or your foot (hard on your foot.)

If you don't have a shop press, then I'd either make or buy a puller
for the job. You can make an improvised puller for once or twice use.

But if you think it will be used a lot, go buy the right puller or
do some serious engineering on your homemade one - when pullers break
under high stress use, at a minimum it tends to hurt as pieces go
bouncing around the shop at rather high velocities.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I favor the cut-off wheel method, cut to .030 or so from the shaft, get a
cold chisel in the groove parallel to the shaft and give it a pop. Lay some
sheet metal over the shaft to keep hammer marks off it.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I usually remove the motor rotor from the motor and put it on the
bench and use puller. Replace both bearings. They both have the same
amount of hours on them.
Cydrome Leader is now another candidate for the Cliff file.