Vinny

Default A little problem removing a gear from a shaft

I am trying to remove a gear (approx 3 inch Dia) from the end of a ball
screw (approx 1-1/4 inch). It seems to have a taper pin, at least the
manual shows a taper pin. the head of the pin is rounded and sticks out
about 1/32 from the collar of the gear. there is a through hole on the
other side of the collar , which is empty. I have been trying to punch
the pin out from the 'hollow'.

I have tried everything I can think of except heat (there is a risk of
fire in this location). I made a punch , got a big hammer and had a
mechanic try to loosen it, no results. I then built a device alot like
a 'nut splitter'. thinking it could 'push' the pin out. I made it very
heavy duty and used a hardened drive screw , again no results. (except
broken tool).

is there a trick ? or a hydraulic tool I should buy ? or a magic spell.
FYI I am doomed if I can't remove it.
Bob May

You could also be trying to push the pin out the wrong way. File the
mushroom off and try going that way. It may be that the end got mushroomed
to insure that it doesn't come out.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

yourname

Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

yah know there is, right? jus not as big

yourname

A little heat would prolly do it

Leo Lichtman

I would drill it out. But, start with a very small drill, and keep drilling
to a larger size until you have just a SHELL of the pin left. Then use a
gear puller, and what's left of the pin will shear right off. Or, you could
go in with a tapered reamer, and remove the remnants of the taper pin. Ream
a little extra, to clean up the hold, and then slip the gear off. I would
mark the shaft/gear, so you can put it back the same way without hesitation
or error. If you put it back wrong, the taper pin will go in part way, and
then hang up.

Grant Erwin

I have seen taper pins that just don't come out. I heated, used Kroil,
did repeated heat/cool cycles, beat on them with a hammer, drilled and
tapped and made a special hardened puller, NOTHING. Sometimes taper pins
just stick in there and the only thing you can do is bore them all
the way out and then start over. - GWE

Vinny wrote:

[...]

Eric R Snow

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:37:02 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I have seen taper pins that just don't come out. I heated, used Kroil,
did repeated heat/cool cycles, beat on them with a hammer, drilled and
tapped and made a special hardened puller, NOTHING. Sometimes taper pins
just stick in there and the only thing you can do is bore them all
the way out and then start over. - GWE

Yeah, me too. I think they get so tight that hammering just swells 'em
up and makes for an even tighter fit.
ERS