Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Griz G4003G

Anyone here have a Grizzly G4003G 12 X 36 Metal lathe? Looking for
opinions of it as a replacement for my old Sheldon 11 X 56 vintage
1942. Comments would be appreciated
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looking for
opinions of it as a replacement for my old Sheldon 11 X 56 vintage
1942. Comments would be appreciated

Gerry

I am not real familar with the Sheldon 11 X 56 but a new lathe even
near its size will be several thousand. If you have the room I would
spend the money on the Sheldon and don't look back.

So does the Sheldon have a quick change gear box? The motor is
probably old but new ones are relatively inexpensive. A month or two
of disassembly, cleaning and reassembly should be all you need to do.
Put in new bearings if needed and available. Bring the electricity up
to date. Maybe get the ways ground.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

opinions of it as a replacement for my old Sheldon 11 X 56 vintage
1942. Comments would be appreciated

Gerry

Found this for the Sheldon lathe.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon/

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 8, 11:06 pm, Gerry wrote:
Anyone here have a Grizzly G4003G 12 X 36 Metal lathe? Looking for
opinions of it as a replacement for my old Sheldon 11 X 56 vintage
1942. Comments would be appreciated

If you make the switch, I might be interested in the Sheldon if you
live within 500 miles of Orlando.

Carl Boyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
Gerry wrote:

Anyone here have a Grizzly G4003G 12 X 36 Metal lathe? Looking for
opinions of it as a replacement for my old Sheldon 11 X 56 vintage
1942. Comments would be appreciated

On page 24 of the June/July 2008 issue of Machinist's Workshop there is
a review article titled "The Grizzly G4003G Gunsmith Lathe". The author
liked the G4003G.

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 9, 8:22 am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article
,

Gerry wrote:
Anyone here have a Grizzly G4003G 12 X 36 Metal lathe? Looking for
opinions of it as a replacement for my old Sheldon 11 X 56 vintage
1942. Comments would be appreciated

I have been nickle and diming the Sheldon for years. Finally had
enough. Plain bearings in the headstock, worn ways in crossfeed and
compound, worn tailstock and lots of wear in the apron are the main
problems. I could spend the price of the Griz on the sheldon trying to
make it right again. I might have considered that path if I could find
someone in south Louisiana that could repair it's problems and parts
to do it with. Parts I have bought from the Sheldon supplier are
priced outragously. A few years ago I paid $200 for a crossfeed nut.
One gear in the apron I needed more recently was over $400 from the
present supplier. It served me well for over 10 years but now will not
turn anything but aluminum and plastic without major chatter

PM2000 or Griz Don Dando Woodworking 0 February 16th 07 07:00 PM
Griz Shaper Don Dando Woodworking 0 May 25th 06 03:06 PM
Griz lathe G0584 Rick Samuel Woodturning 6 November 14th 05 05:24 PM
And a Griz TS FS, too John Moorhead Woodworking 5 June 29th 05 08:55 PM
HF vs Griz "2 HP" dust collectors butch Woodworking 17 March 16th 05 04:17 AM