Rick Samuel

Default Griz lathe G0584

A new item, I asked about the price, Griz said it's an intro price. Looks
good, but does anyone have any first hand experience? I'm a bit new to
woodworking. My take, as I read the posts, Griz is a good buy, in most
cases. Correct?

Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
"Rick Samuel" wrote:

A new item, I asked about the price, Griz said it's an intro price. Looks
good, but does anyone have any first hand experience? I'm a bit new to
woodworking. My take, as I read the posts, Griz is a good buy, in most
cases. Correct?

I rejected all Grizzly lathes due to their use of a 1x12 head-stock.
To my knowledge they are the only firm building with 1x12. It would make
getting face-plates, chucks, etc difficult and expensive

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Dave

I have a Grizzly G5979 which has been replaced by the 584 and I have never
had any problems with it. I bought a Talon chuck for it and a couple of face
plates for it too. I did not have a problem finding these items for the
lathe. I bought the lathe to start out with since I don't have any
experience using a lathe. I have had a lot of fun making bowls on it. Some
day when I become an expert and am rich and win the lottery I will buy a
Oneway lathe. The 584 is comparable to the Delta and Jet and is a lot
cheaper in cost.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

I rejected all Grizzly lathes due to their use of a 1x12 head-stock.

To my knowledge they are the only firm building with 1x12. It would
make
getting face-plates, chucks, etc difficult and expensive

This is quite true. However, before you buy you check around and see
who has adapters to change the spindle size to something more common
like a 1X8 tpi so you can use faceplates and chucks that are commonly
available.

I think Craft Supplies and maybe another one or two might have them in
stock. You might call Grizz customer service and ask them if they have
them as a non catatlogue item or if they had someone to point you to.

I might be a little more work initially, but that is a really reasonble
price for a lathe of that size.

Robert

I bought this lathe from Gizzly in Feb. its a great buy and a good
lathe. I have had three problems with the lathe all which I consider no
big deal.

1. The first one to my door was damaged in shipping....no matter what
if you see it damaged at all reject the shipment. That is what customer
service told me to do and it was much easier than the other options.

2. The second one was great but the tool rest broke at the T. No I
wouldnt say for sure it was defective or my own fault, but grizzly sent
me a new one very quickly for free.

3. It will use up its belt if you catch to much or do other amature
things you will wear out the belt. I bought a couple extra belts and
have only used the one I bought to replace the original belt.

I have a stronghold chuck and several face plates plus it comes with a
face plate. You can find chucks, face plates and adaptors easily on
the web.

I made one adjustment to my lathe.....weight.....I cut two pieces of
angle iron and 1 piece of 3/4" plywood.....there are tabs on the legs
that fit perfect for a shelf....3 bags of 70lb. sand bags and this is
one seriously solid lathe.

Thats my $.02 and you can check out its work on my
site....shavedwood.com

Rob

Joseph Adamson

I too find the price and features of this lathe very attractive. The biggest
turnoff is the spindle thread. The interesting thing in their 2005 big
catalogue the spindle thread listed is 1" 8TPI, but in any magazine ad I've
ever seen for the 0584 and on the Grizzley site they list the spindle thread
as 1" 12 TPI I sent an email to them the other day asking for confirmation
on the spindle thread. If I can get it with a 1x8, I think i'm going to
grab one. It's definately not a stubby, or powermattic, heck it aint even
close to a delta, but it still beats my Jet1014!
-joea
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

JoanD'arcRoast

In article , Joseph
Adamson wrote:

I too find the price and features of this lathe very attractive. The biggest
turnoff is the spindle thread. The interesting thing in their 2005 big
catalogue the spindle thread listed is 1" 8TPI, but in any magazine ad I've
ever seen for the 0584 and on the Grizzley site they list the spindle thread
as 1" 12 TPI I sent an email to them the other day asking for confirmation
on the spindle thread. If I can get it with a 1x8, I think i'm going to
grab one. It's definately not a stubby, or powermattic, heck it aint even
close to a delta, but it still beats my Jet1014!
-joea

It's a 1x12 TPI. [Inserts work fine in a Supernova2.]
The motor is 3/4 HP...
But just wait till you try to put a 1" McNaughton tool post in the
banjo!
Ha-ha-ha! big grin
-j

oups.com...