Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default what is this Dumore thing really?

I have a motor that currently has an arbor and a 4 inch buffing wheel on
it - the motor is on a cast iron stand which houses a rheostat with a
sliding lever - it is pretty old - looks like it's easily pre WWII - the
motor says DUMORE type KB on it - screwed to the top of the motor is a
chrome plated bracket with a vertical hole through it.

I am deeply suspicious that this was not originally a buffing machine - for
one thing the vertical hole in the bracket makes no sense - I'm imagining
that it might have been a flexible shaft grinder/tool like a foredom type
tool but my attempts to search for DUMORE type KB have turned up nothing -
so I turn to this agust body where someone is likely to have a hint or a
pointer to what it really is.

I can take a photo and put it in the drop box if that would be helpful - but
the thing is pretty unpretentions - the motor is a brush motor, a bit larger
than a sewing machine motor, everything is painted black (the old shiny
black, not wrinkle) and the Dumore label is aluminum with the numbers
stamped into it - and there is some gold color in the DUMORE logo.

any ideas? links?

--
Bill
www.wbnoble.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Noble wrote:
[...]

Toolpost grinder for a lathe .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Toolpost grinder for a lathe .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"
'39 WLDD "Popcycle"
Buncha cars and a truck

no, whatever it is, it is NOT a tool post grinder - it sits on a pedestal
type base that houses the rheostat, the base has rubber feet, there is no
means to mount to a tool post - whatever it originally was, it sat on a
bench when doing its job. I thought there might be someone who had a
"history of dumore stuff" type web site they had found that would help -
I'll try to get a photo into the drop box in the next day or two unless
someone can recognize what "type KB" might mean

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

William Noble wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a variation on this, From a 1924 catalog:

"Type D Dumore Universal Motor 1/8 Horse Power
Type D is adapted to jewelers' and dentists'
work and is efficient on general polishing and buff*mg.
Finished in black enam*el.
Equipment includes wheel arbor and emery wheel, tapered spindle,
8-foot cord and attachment plug, and a five-speed rheostat in base.
Length, 5-5/16 inches, not including shaft extension of 1-1/64 inches
on both ends. Shaft diameter, .375 inch tapered on ends. If desired,
Ritter Chucks or 5/32-inch Goodell-Pratt Chucks may be used on this motor.
Diameter of motor case, 4-3/8 inches. Measurement of base 5-1/4 inches.
Net weight, 12-1/2 pounds. Shipping weight, 15 pounds.
Price, each $27.50"

They made smaller, with only an arbor at one end.

A pic would help

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Noble wrote:
Toolpost grinder for a lathe .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"
'39 WLDD "Popcycle"
Buncha cars and a truck

no, whatever it is, it is NOT a tool post grinder - it sits on a
pedestal type base that houses the rheostat, the base has rubber
feet, there is no means to mount to a tool post - whatever it
originally was, it sat on a bench when doing its job. I thought
there might be someone who had a "history of dumore stuff" type web
site they had found that would help - I'll try to get a photo into
the drop box in the next day or two unless someone can recognize what
"type KB" might mean

Heh , not the first time I've been wrong . I didn't know they made other
types of buffer/grinder machines .

Snag
wannabe machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"William Noble" wrote:

[...]

Dumore still exists, so a phone call could prove illuminating.

http://www.dumorecorp.com/

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dumore still exists, so a phone call could prove illuminating.

http://www.dumorecorp.com/

Joe Gwinn

yes, of course, I can email dumore - I prefer to try other means first
though -

the shaft only comes out one side of the motor - if it didn't have an odd
bracket on top, I would have felt it was just a jewler's buffer, like the
example in the old catalog.

maybe it's time to email dumore.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

-0700, William Noble, wrote:

I have a motor that currently has an arbor and a 4 inch buffing wheel on
it - the motor is on a cast iron stand which houses a rheostat with a
sliding lever - it is pretty old - looks like it's easily pre WWII - the
motor says DUMORE type KB on it - screwed to the top of the motor is a
chrome plated bracket with a vertical hole through it.

I've posted a photo to the dropbox he

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/dumore_mystery.JPG

the text file says:

Small Dumore device - what is the purpose of the chrome bracket?
rule in foreground is 8 inches long
label on device says
Type KB Model B 5610 110V
watts and RPM are blank

Arbor is Godell-Pratt

what was this originally?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Noble wrote:
-0700, William Noble, wrote:

I have a motor that currently has an arbor and a 4 inch buffing
wheel on it - the motor is on a cast iron stand which houses a
rheostat with a sliding lever - it is pretty old - looks like it's
easily pre WWII - the motor says DUMORE type KB on it - screwed to
the top of the motor is a chrome plated bracket with a vertical
hole through it.

I've posted a photo to the dropbox he

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/dumore_mystery.JPG

the text file says:

Small Dumore device - what is the purpose of the chrome bracket?
rule in foreground is 8 inches long
label on device says
Type KB Model B 5610 110V
watts and RPM are blank

Arbor is Godell-Pratt

what was this originally?

Why don't you contact this guy and ask him?

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

William Noble wrote:
-0700, William Noble, wrote:

I have a motor that currently has an arbor and a 4 inch buffing wheel on
it - the motor is on a cast iron stand which houses a rheostat with a
sliding lever - it is pretty old - looks like it's easily pre WWII - the
motor says DUMORE type KB on it - screwed to the top of the motor is a
chrome plated bracket with a vertical hole through it.

I've posted a photo to the dropbox he

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/dumore_mystery.JPG

the text file says:

Small Dumore device - what is the purpose of the chrome bracket?
rule in foreground is 8 inches long
label on device says
Type KB Model B 5610 110V
watts and RPM are blank

Arbor is Godell-Pratt

what was this originally?

They say a pic worth a thousand words.
Next time, post the pic first.
It's a 1/25 hp Universal Motor.

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

William Noble wrote:

Dumore still exists, so a phone call could prove illuminating.

http://www.dumorecorp.com/

Joe Gwinn

yes, of course, I can email dumore - I prefer to try other means first
though -

the shaft only comes out one side of the motor - if it didn't have an odd
bracket on top, I would have felt it was just a jewler's buffer, like the
example in the old catalog.

maybe it's time to email dumore.....

In the words of Dumo "It is a bail for hanging from a trolley or hook."

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Noble wrote:
-0700, William Noble, wrote:

I have a motor that currently has an arbor and a 4 inch buffing wheel on
it - the motor is on a cast iron stand which houses a rheostat with a
sliding lever - it is pretty old - looks like it's easily pre WWII - the
motor says DUMORE type KB on it - screwed to the top of the motor is a
chrome plated bracket with a vertical hole through it.

I've posted a photo to the dropbox he

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/dumore_mystery.JPG

the text file says:

Small Dumore device - what is the purpose of the chrome bracket?
rule in foreground is 8 inches long
label on device says
Type KB Model B 5610 110V
watts and RPM are blank

Arbor is Godell-Pratt

what was this originally?

A dentist or a jeweller, would know one of those as a polishing lathe.

The chrome thing, could have been a mount for a shield. Or a light. Or
it has nothing to do with either, and instead, was part of the maybe
original use of the motor.

Goodal-Pratt made a wide variety of tools and measuring equipment. No
telling if these two parts (the motor and arbor) started off together,
but they are together now, eh?

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 8, 3:43 pm, "William Noble" wrote:
Why don't you contact this guy and ask him?

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Thanks - email sent

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

If it works, I be interested in purchase. I'm planning on mounting a
Jacobs chuck on the shaft. Shaft size?
-M

Dumore Grinder oldjag Metalworking 3 September 14th 05 06:40 AM
FA DUMORE TOOL POST GRINDER W RICHARDS Metalworking 7 April 4th 05 06:18 AM
Dumore Carvit .. what would *you* do with one of these? Grant Erwin Metalworking 2 February 8th 05 04:39 PM
What's this leaky thing in my boiler...? - thing.jpg (0/1) fred UK diy 9 August 21st 04 10:51 PM
Dumore # 11 Belt? ATP Metalworking 6 January 5th 04 01:57 PM