W RICHARDS

Default FA DUMORE TOOL POST GRINDER

SEE:
Ken Davey

W RICHARDS wrote:
SEE:

If the unit is in good shape (spindle tight etc.) not bad deal at $150.00 or
less.
Big caviat - Needed accessories *will* cost a grand.

Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Pete Bergstrom

Ken Davey wrote:

If the unit is in good shape (spindle tight etc.) not bad deal at $150.00 or
less.
Big caviat - Needed accessories *will* cost a grand.

Ken,

Can you say more about what the needed accessories are? I've got one of
these that I inherited. It's missing the belt, and there are no grinding
wheels for it. The motor runs well, and the spindle turns smoothly,
although of course it's not been run at full speed.

Thanks,
Pete
Jack Hayes

"Ken Davey" wrote in message
W RICHARDS wrote:
SEE:

If the unit is in good shape (spindle tight etc.) not bad deal at $150.00

or
less.
Big caviat - Needed accessories *will* cost a grand.

Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
http://www.spammotel.com

A new belt for a series 44 is $50.00 in Canada, new brushes $25.00 each,
this will give you some idea how the cost of components will run.

Jack

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Pete Bergstrom wrote:
Ken Davey wrote:

If the unit is in good shape (spindle tight etc.) not bad deal at $150.00 or
less.
Big caviat - Needed accessories *will* cost a grand.

Ken,

Can you say more about what the needed accessories are? I've got one of
these that I inherited. It's missing the belt, and there are no grinding
wheels for it. The motor runs well, and the spindle turns smoothly,
although of course it's not been run at full speed.

I can't say everything, as I am still gathering things for mine.
But some things to check whether you have them or not:

0) You should be able to get the belts for not too much from MSC
or other vendors.

1) shield for the wheel when used for OD grinding. *

2) Wrenches to hold the pulleys while removing the nuts to change
pulleys. *

3) Flanges for the OD wheels, and the nut for securing that (they
use, of course, an uncommon thread. :-) You can make the flanges
on your lathe, at least. And if you are set up for small
internal threading, you can make the nut as well.

4) Collet assembly for using mounted stones for internal grinding.
This also threads onto the uncommon thread, making it more
difficult to make one. *

5) Mounted diamond for dressing the wheel prior to cutting. *

6) The T-nut for mounting it to the toolpost slot on the compound.

7) Wrenches to keep with it to fit the common adjustment points.

The ones marked with '*' are ones which I still need to acquire
or make. I would love to see a scan of those wrenches for the pulleys,
so I can have a better chance of making them. (But, if someone has such,
please *don't* e-mail the scans to me. They will get automatically
bounced by the size limit which keeps my mailbox clear of most virii.)
Drop me a note, and we can discuss where the images can be put so I can
get them.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Pete Bergstrom

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article ,
Pete Bergstrom wrote:

Ken Davey wrote:

If the unit is in good shape (spindle tight etc.) not bad deal at $150.00 or
less.
Big caviat - Needed accessories *will* cost a grand.

Ken,

Can you say more about what the needed accessories are? I've got one of
these that I inherited. It's missing the belt, and there are no grinding
wheels for it. The motor runs well, and the spindle turns smoothly,
although of course it's not been run at full speed.

I can't say everything, as I am still gathering things for mine.
But some things to check whether you have them or not:

0) You should be able to get the belts for not too much from MSC
or other vendors.

1) shield for the wheel when used for OD grinding. *

This I thought I'd make, at least until I fail at making it safe enough.
I figure 1/8" steel formed and brazed should do pretty well.

2) Wrenches to hold the pulleys while removing the nuts to change
pulleys. *

Ah, hadn't thought about this.

3) Flanges for the OD wheels, and the nut for securing that (they
use, of course, an uncommon thread. :-) You can make the flanges
on your lathe, at least. And if you are set up for small
internal threading, you can make the nut as well.

I've got one set of flanges and the nut, but making more ought to be a
good exercise.

4) Collet assembly for using mounted stones for internal grinding.
This also threads onto the uncommon thread, making it more
difficult to make one. *

Another good exercise. Any suggestions for the collets to use assuming
I'm starting with none? I've chosen ER-40 for my mill and thought I'd
keep with ER for other collets, probably ER-16 for this application.

5) Mounted diamond for dressing the wheel prior to cutting. *

Another good idea I hadn't considered. It probably won't surprise you to
know I've never used a TP grinder.

6) The T-nut for mounting it to the toolpost slot on the compound.

Got one (lathe and TP grinder came from my grandfather).

7) Wrenches to keep with it to fit the common adjustment points.

The ones marked with '*' are ones which I still need to acquire
or make. I would love to see a scan of those wrenches for the pulleys,
so I can have a better chance of making them. (But, if someone has such,
please *don't* e-mail the scans to me. They will get automatically
bounced by the size limit which keeps my mailbox clear of most virii.)
Drop me a note, and we can discuss where the images can be put so I can
get them.

May I suggest the dropbox since they'll likely stay around for a long time?

Thanks for your help, Don.

Pete
Ken Davey

Jack Hayes wrote:

http://www.dumorecorp.com/grinder.htm

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
http://www.spammotel.com

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Pete Bergstrom wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article ,
Pete Bergstrom wrote:

[ ... ]

Can you say more about what the needed accessories are? I've got one of
these that I inherited. It's missing the belt, and there are no grinding
wheels for it. The motor runs well, and the spindle turns smoothly,
although of course it's not been run at full speed.

I can't say everything, as I am still gathering things for mine.
But some things to check whether you have them or not:

0) You should be able to get the belts for not too much from MSC
or other vendors.

1) shield for the wheel when used for OD grinding. *

This I thought I'd make, at least until I fail at making it safe enough.
I figure 1/8" steel formed and brazed should do pretty well.

Probably should. I would make the mounting collar on the lathe,
to make a nice slip fit onto the spindle cartridge. I'll probably try
turning mine entirely from solid steel stock, as I don't (yet) have
welding equipment, nor do I have slip rolls.

2) Wrenches to hold the pulleys while removing the nuts to change
pulleys. *

Ah, hadn't thought about this.

I did -- because at present, I have only the ability to mount
the OD wheels, and the current pulley configuration is *way* too fast
for those wheels. Until I either make the wrenches, or the collets
for the mounted stones for ID work, I don't dare run it with a stone on
it. :-)

[ ... ]

4) Collet assembly for using mounted stones for internal grinding.
This also threads onto the uncommon thread, making it more
difficult to make one. *

Another good exercise. Any suggestions for the collets to use assuming
I'm starting with none? I've chosen ER-40 for my mill and thought I'd
keep with ER for other collets, probably ER-16 for this application.

Nothing that big. Consider the range of speeds (just look at
the chart on the motor). And consider the size of the stones vs the
size of the collets. You will need to reach deep into the ID of some
workpieces.

As I see it, you only need two sizes of
collets, 1/8" and 1/4" for mounted stones. I would make each to screw
onto the spindle directly, thread the OD, turn a taper on the nose, and
slit it, and make a skinny long nut to close down on it. Each one would
have a closer nut just enough bigger to allow it to work. I'm not sure
whether anyone makes mounted stones in 1/16" shank sizes, and the 1/16"
dental burrs are not going to survive those speeds. :-)

You *might* be able to make a collet spindle for the Dremel
collets, but I don't hold much hope of those being really good for the
task. I would consider the tiny Foredom ones (for the extra-flexible
shaft extension and handpiece) before Dremel.

5) Mounted diamond for dressing the wheel prior to cutting. *

Another good idea I hadn't considered. It probably won't surprise you to
know I've never used a TP grinder.

Nor have I -- yet. But I *have* and use a small surface
grinder.

[ ... ]

The ones marked with '*' are ones which I still need to acquire
or make. I would love to see a scan of those wrenches for the pulleys,
so I can have a better chance of making them. (But, if someone has such,
please *don't* e-mail the scans to me. They will get automatically
bounced by the size limit which keeps my mailbox clear of most virii.)
Drop me a note, and we can discuss where the images can be put so I can
get them.

May I suggest the dropbox since they'll likely stay around for a long time?

That would probably be the best -- unless whoever scans and
posts does not want them to be around forever. :-)

Thanks for your help, Don.

You're welcome.

Best of luck,
DoN.

P.S. Of course you know about how you really need to be anal about
keeping the grinding swarf away from the precision surfaces of
the lathe. That is one reason why I haven't been in a great
hurry to complete this project.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564