Pete Bergstrom

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article ,
Pete Bergstrom wrote:

Ken Davey wrote:

If the unit is in good shape (spindle tight etc.) not bad deal at $150.00 or
less.
Big caviat - Needed accessories *will* cost a grand.

Ken,

Can you say more about what the needed accessories are? I've got one of
these that I inherited. It's missing the belt, and there are no grinding
wheels for it. The motor runs well, and the spindle turns smoothly,
although of course it's not been run at full speed.

I can't say everything, as I am still gathering things for mine.
But some things to check whether you have them or not:

0) You should be able to get the belts for not too much from MSC
or other vendors.

1) shield for the wheel when used for OD grinding. *

This I thought I'd make, at least until I fail at making it safe enough.
I figure 1/8" steel formed and brazed should do pretty well.

2) Wrenches to hold the pulleys while removing the nuts to change
pulleys. *

Ah, hadn't thought about this.

3) Flanges for the OD wheels, and the nut for securing that (they
use, of course, an uncommon thread. :-) You can make the flanges
on your lathe, at least. And if you are set up for small
internal threading, you can make the nut as well.

I've got one set of flanges and the nut, but making more ought to be a
good exercise.

4) Collet assembly for using mounted stones for internal grinding.
This also threads onto the uncommon thread, making it more
difficult to make one. *

Another good exercise. Any suggestions for the collets to use assuming
I'm starting with none? I've chosen ER-40 for my mill and thought I'd
keep with ER for other collets, probably ER-16 for this application.

5) Mounted diamond for dressing the wheel prior to cutting. *

Another good idea I hadn't considered. It probably won't surprise you to
know I've never used a TP grinder.

6) The T-nut for mounting it to the toolpost slot on the compound.

Got one (lathe and TP grinder came from my grandfather).

7) Wrenches to keep with it to fit the common adjustment points.

The ones marked with '*' are ones which I still need to acquire
or make. I would love to see a scan of those wrenches for the pulleys,
so I can have a better chance of making them. (But, if someone has such,
please *don't* e-mail the scans to me. They will get automatically
bounced by the size limit which keeps my mailbox clear of most virii.)
Drop me a note, and we can discuss where the images can be put so I can
get them.

May I suggest the dropbox since they'll likely stay around for a long time?

Thanks for your help, Don.

Pete