Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best paint color for a Wilton machinist vise

I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500
series bullet vises)

What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint)
or red on top of it?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus17335 wrote:
I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500
series bullet vises)

What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint)
or red on top of it?

Fuchsia... That way it stands out...

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message ...
Ignoramus17335 wrote:
I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500
series bullet vises)

What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint)
or red on top of it?

Fuchsia... That way it stands out...

--
Steve W.

I'm leaning toward puce myself as paisley would be a bit difficult to do.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus17335 wrote:
I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500
series bullet vises)

What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint)
or red on top of it?

Fuchsia... That way it stands out...

And the blood doesn't show.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus17335 wrote:

I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500
series bullet vises)

What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint)
or red on top of it?

I like gloss white with a red pinstripe. Lots of folks are fixated on
depressing gray. Some like blue. Zebra stripes might be nice. Suit
yourself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Color one of those MINE!

and the other Candy Apple Green. Make the handle Brown.
No other like it.

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Ignoramus17335 wrote:
I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500
series bullet vises)

What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint)
or red on top of it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 28, 8:03*pm, Ignoramus17335 ignoramus17...@NOSPAM.
17335.invalid wrote:
I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500
series bullet vises)

What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint)
or red on top of it?

--
* *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
* * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating

What color is your bench top? Shop walls? Your shirt, pants, shoes
and socks? What colors of metal or other materials will you hold in
it? How about your file handles and hacksaw frame? Wouldn't want
anything to clash.

Why would you care what color anyone else thinks your vise should be?

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I repainted a Wilton vise last winter. I replicated the factory color
with hammertone light blue. It is available online or thru McMaster
Carr.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 29, 6:35*am, wrote:
I repainted a Wilton vise last winter. *I replicated the factory color
with hammertone light blue. * It is available online or thru McMaster
Carr.

Bob

I paint all my machines a uniform machinery grey to maintain their
sense of unity, otherwise the import tools shirk their duty because
they feel inferior to the older, more experienced American iron. They
must all work together as one and follow my instructions exactly
without question. Davaite!

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-29, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On May 29, 6:35•£Äam, wrote:
I repainted a Wilton vise last winter. •£ÄI replicated the factory color
with hammertone light blue. •£Ä It is available online or thru McMaster
Carr.

Bob

I paint all my machines a uniform machinery grey to maintain their
sense of unity, otherwise the import tools shirk their duty because
they feel inferior to the older, more experienced American iron. They
must all work together as one and follow my instructions exactly
without question. Davaite!

I painted that one red:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...ton-500S-Vise/

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 May 2008 19:03:16 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus17335 quickly quoth:

I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500
series bullet vises)

What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint)
or red on top of it?

Gold, 'cuz that's what they get for them new.

I've always liked light blue for vises, but Grizzly Green is AOK, too.
Black has always been a respectable color for cast arn, as well.

I hate gray, but with red on top of it, I'd better not comment. (If I
did, I might say that it reminds me too much of the yellow and orange
taco stands in Tijuana; not my fave color combo for some reason.)

--
I wish the Department of Homeland Security knew what
ol' Unca Doug did, instinctively, so many years ago:

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
-- General Douglas MacArthur
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-29, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2008 19:03:16 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus17335 quickly quoth:

I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500
series bullet vises)

What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint)
or red on top of it?

Gold, 'cuz that's what they get for them new.

I've always liked light blue for vises, but Grizzly Green is AOK, too.
Black has always been a respectable color for cast arn, as well.

I hate gray, but with red on top of it, I'd better not comment. (If I
did, I might say that it reminds me too much of the yellow and orange
taco stands in Tijuana; not my fave color combo for some reason.)

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.

That's what I ended up with, red on top of grey (grey as in cold
galvanizing paint, really awesome stuff in itself).

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 May 2008 20:32:25 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ignoramus17335 wrote:
I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500
series bullet vises)

What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint)
or red on top of it?

Fuchsia... That way it stands out...

McFadden Plaid. I think you can get a can from the UK without much
trouble.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On May 29, 6:35 am, wrote:
I repainted a Wilton vise last winter. I replicated the factory color
with hammertone light blue. It is available online or thru McMaster
Carr.

Bob

I paint all my machines a uniform machinery grey to maintain their
sense of unity, otherwise the import tools shirk their duty because
they feel inferior to the older, more experienced American iron. They
must all work together as one and follow my instructions exactly
without question. Davaite!

Do you paint all your gas bottles Miller blue?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 29, 3:23*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:

Do you paint all your gas bottles Miller blue?

Nope, Lincoln red or Century caca d'oie.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 May 2008 06:06:50 -0500, Ignoramus9931

On 2008-05-29, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On May 29, 6:35•£Äam, wrote:
I repainted a Wilton vise last winter. •£ÄI replicated the factory color
with hammertone light blue. •£Ä It is available online or thru McMaster
Carr.

Bob

I paint all my machines a uniform machinery grey to maintain their
sense of unity, otherwise the import tools shirk their duty because
they feel inferior to the older, more experienced American iron. They
must all work together as one and follow my instructions exactly
without question. Davaite!

I painted that one red:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...ton-500S-Vise/

What colour is silk because that's what my old Henry feels like after
the outer slobovistan model I used for several years before investing
five bucks one Saturday morning.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:23:41 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On May 29, 6:35 am, wrote:
I repainted a Wilton vise last winter. I replicated the factory color
with hammertone light blue. It is available online or thru McMaster
Carr.

Bob

I paint all my machines a uniform machinery grey to maintain their
sense of unity, otherwise the import tools shirk their duty because
they feel inferior to the older, more experienced American iron. They
must all work together as one and follow my instructions exactly
without question. Davaite!

Do you paint all your gas bottles Miller blue?

Only the purged 20 pound propane air pigs
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner
wrote on Thu, 29 May 2008 09:37:37
-0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

Ignoramus17335 wrote:
I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500
series bullet vises)

What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint)
or red on top of it?

Fuchsia... That way it stands out...

McFadden Plaid. I think you can get a can from the UK without much
trouble.

MacStine (Of Clan Destine fame) makes an interesting camouflage
paint. They're near Fifth of Forth in the lower Highlands of
Scotland. Near the distillery, they are.

tschus
pyotr

Dinnae ask how I kenn, or I'll be having to paint ye purple (we be all
out o' green.)

--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus17335 wrote:
I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500
series bullet vises)

What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint)
or red on top of it?

Fuchsia... That way it stands out...

McFadden Plaid. I think you can get a can from the UK without much
trouble.

MacStine (Of Clan Destine fame) makes an interesting camouflage
paint. They're near Fifth of Forth in the lower Highlands of
Scotland. Near the distillery, they are.

tschus
pyotr

Dinnae ask how I kenn, or I'll be having to paint ye purple (we be all
out o' green.)

Sounds like you've been there.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada