Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tapping the collective wisdom

--Low metal content but I'm searching for a widget for a project in
progress. It's a socket to mount an LED. I've found two sources: one surplus
that's dried up and the other retail that's *outrageously* expensive. Here's
a photo of the part: http://www.ddp-leds.com/Config.aspx?nProductsID=21
--I need a thousand of the one on the left; surplus that would cost
me $50 which is acceptable; retail they'd set me back $860 plus tax and
shipping!
--Has anyone got another source for these things surplus?
TIA,

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : "Hold on! we're entering
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the moronosphere!"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
--Low metal content but I'm searching for a widget for a project in
progress. It's a socket to mount an LED. I've found two sources: one
surplus that's dried up and the other retail that's *outrageously*
expensive. Here's a photo of the part:
http://www.ddp-leds.com/Config.aspx?nProductsID=21 --I need a
thousand of the one on the left; surplus that would cost
me $50 which is acceptable; retail they'd set me back $860 plus tax
and shipping!
--Has anyone got another source for these things surplus?
TIA,

South Bay Components
24412 Main Street
Suite 101
Carson, CA 90745

Tel (310) 518-9476
Fax (310) 518-6399

Ask for Fitz. He owns the place and they specialize in just the sort of
thing you are looking for.
They buy up and then resell remaindered electronics components.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

--Low metal content but I'm searching for a widget for a project in
progress. It's a socket to mount an LED. I've found two sources: one surplus
that's dried up and the other retail that's *outrageously* expensive. Here's
a photo of the part: http://www.ddp-leds.com/Config.aspx?nProductsID=21
--I need a thousand of the one on the left; surplus that would cost
me $50 which is acceptable; retail they'd set me back $860 plus tax and
shipping!
--Has anyone got another source for these things surplus?
TIA,

Can you use something like this, Steamer?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ame=67-1044-ND

U$27 buys you 1,000 of them. New.

If that isn't exactly what you need, you might log to http://www.digikey.com/
and enter the phrase "led clip" in the search window.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.ledtronics.com/

Good luck bud.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

steamer wrote:
--Low metal content but I'm searching for a widget for a project in
progress. It's a socket to mount an LED. I've found two sources: one surplus
that's dried up and the other retail that's *outrageously* expensive. Here's
a photo of the part: http://www.ddp-leds.com/Config.aspx?nProductsID=21
--I need a thousand of the one on the left; surplus that would cost
me $50 which is acceptable; retail they'd set me back $860 plus tax and
shipping!
--Has anyone got another source for these things surplus?
TIA,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

--Low metal content but I'm searching for a widget for a project in
progress. It's a socket to mount an LED. I've found two sources: one surplus
that's dried up and the other retail that's *outrageously* expensive. Here's
a photo of the part: http://www.ddp-leds.com/Config.aspx?nProductsID=21
--I need a thousand of the one on the left; surplus that would cost
me $50 which is acceptable; retail they'd set me back $860 plus tax and
shipping!
--Has anyone got another source for these things surplus?
TIA,

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : "Hold on! we're entering
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the moronosphere!"
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

I think you need to give us a better idea of the application so we can
suggest a more appropriate way to do the job.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
--Low metal content but I'm searching for a widget for a project in
progress. It's a socket to mount an LED. I've found two sources: one surplus
that's dried up and the other retail that's *outrageously* expensive. Here's
a photo of the part: http://www.ddp-leds.com/Config.aspx?nProductsID=21
--I need a thousand of the one on the left; surplus that would cost
me $50 which is acceptable; retail they'd set me back $860 plus tax and
shipping!
--Has anyone got another source for these things surplus?
TIA,

Why do you need a socket? Do you expect the LED to have to be replaced?
There are plenty of nice bezel-type things to mount LEDs on panels, but
you have to solder the leads. With the socket you show, you have to
solder wires to the socket. Seems the same, as long as the LED is set
up so it has a long lifetime.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
--Low metal content but I'm searching for a widget for a project in
progress. It's a socket to mount an LED. I've found two sources: one surplus
that's dried up and the other retail that's *outrageously* expensive. Here's
a photo of the part: http://www.ddp-leds.com/Config.aspx?nProductsID=21
--I need a thousand of the one on the left; surplus that would cost
me $50 which is acceptable; retail they'd set me back $860 plus tax and
shipping!
--Has anyone got another source for these things surplus?
TIA,

My first stop is always http://www.bgmicro.com for this kind
of stuff. Good folks, cheap prices.

The bad news is I couldn't find any leds in sockets like your
link showed.

technomaNge