NC

Default Barah :: collective name for woodturners

I cannot (can I?) be the first to pose the question of what we term
ourselves when two or more gather in the name of woodturning? For
example we know of collective terms such as Flock of Birds, Host of
Angels, Cast of Actors, Panel of Experts, Den of Thieves…. But what
of woodturners?

Apparently there is no word that can safely and accurately group us,
without defining the activity of the group. When sociologists talk
about humans in groups, the general word they use is "group." But we
are more than just a "group" of woodturners since the term can be
applied to almost any gathering of humans, animals or plants. Words
that are used to describe creatures of the sea, air, and land are
singular collective nouns - like the English words fish, fowl, and
cattle.

So let me be the first to propose that we are a BARAH of woodturners.
In the absence of any other term – and I have scoured the
world-wide-web for a solution – I think barah perfectly fits the bill.

Let me explain - it's a very ancient word which arises in different
cultures and traditions and, depending on where you find it, has
different interpretations. In essence its means "to cut"; "to
create"; "to choose/select"; "to make something out of nothing".

That's what we do.. we select or choose and then cut a tree or a log,
and we create something from what was nothing.

Welcome to the Barah

Niall Cahill
www.nirvanawood.com
Obfuscated

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:09:21 -0800, NC wrote:

I cannot (can I?) be the first to pose the question of what we term
ourselves when two or more gather in the name of woodturning? For
example we know of collective terms such as Flock of Birds, Host of
Angels, Cast of Actors, Panel of Experts, Den of Thieves…. But what
of woodturners?

I suggest that we be referred to as a 'knot' of woodturners.

Chuck

On 30 Nov 2004 02:09:21 -0800, (NC) wrote:

I cannot (can I?) be the first to pose the question of what we term
ourselves when two or more gather in the name of woodturning?

I believe there have been several threads on this topic, actually.

For
example we know of collective terms such as Flock of Birds, Host of
Angels, Cast of Actors, Panel of Experts, Den of Thieves…. But what
of woodturners?

Experts are empaneled and comprise a panel, but only if they are on a
panel. If they're together for, saaaay, a conference, they're just a
"bunch of experts." If actors aren't acting but are together in a
group, they're not a cast, but most likely either a waitstaff or a
political convention. And "den" is where thieves hang out, not their
collective name. More like a "gang" or "mob."

Apparently there is no word that can safely and accurately group us,
without defining the activity of the group.

Well, our name defines our activity, by default.

When sociologists talk
about humans in groups, the general word they use is "group."

Sociologically, we are a subculture, since we have language, customs
and behaviors unique to our group, and the acceptance and practice of
which makes "us" part of that group.

But we are more than just a "group" of woodturners since the term can be
applied to almost any gathering of humans, animals or plants.

There are other cross-species terms as well, like a mob of striking
workers and a mob of kangaroos, a school of thought and a school of
fish, a colony of pioneers or a colony of ants, a pod of whales and a
pod of peas.

Words
that are used to describe creatures of the sea, air, and land are
singular collective nouns - like the English words fish, fowl, and
cattle.

Um, "cattle" is a fairly specific term, unlike "fish" and "fowl."

So let me be the first to propose that we are a BARAH of woodturners.
In the absence of any other term – and I have scoured the
world-wide-web for a solution – I think barah perfectly fits the bill.

Sounds very California.

A lot of the names of groups of things are clever or descriptive,
based on some real or imagined common trait of the members of that
group. Since, as turners, we have all had to (or are in the process
of) travel a sometimes steep learning curve, and on that curve have
stumbled over the same bumps, I have an alternate proposal that is
unique to us and identifies us to each other with not only a common
characteristic but a common experience that only we can identify
with...one of those wry-grin-shake-your-head kind of things. So, as
my alternative, if less scholarly name for a gathering of "us", I
propose:

A Catch of Woodturners

"Catch" requires no explanation to anyone who has ever turned wood on
a lathe, is easy to pronounce, easy to remember and, if I do say so
myself, "catchy."

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Leo Lichtman

A group of us at an event could be called a "turnout."

Lobby Dosser

"Henry" wrote:

I do not think I want to tell people I am knot a woodturner. I
prefure to let them think I am a woodturner. Mabe we want to be a
gander of woodturners.

Has 'Catch of Woodturners' been suggested yet?

"Obfuscated" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:09:21 -0800, NC wrote:

I cannot (can I?) be the first to pose the question of what we term
ourselves when two or more gather in the name of woodturning? For
example we know of collective terms such as Flock of Birds, Host of
Angels, Cast of Actors, Panel of Experts, Den of Thieves.. But
what of woodturners?

I suggest that we be referred to as a 'knot' of woodturners.

mac davis

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 05:16:24 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

"Henry" wrote:

I do not think I want to tell people I am knot a woodturner. I
prefure to let them think I am a woodturner. Mabe we want to be a
gander of woodturners.

Has 'Catch of Woodturners' been suggested yet?

dunno..... but I think I'll pass on the first rotation and wait for
later turnouts.. could be some interesting spin offs, too..
Arch

'An argument of woodturners'

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Chuck

wrote:

"Henry" wrote:

I do not think I want to tell people I am knot a woodturner. I
prefure to let them think I am a woodturner. Mabe we want to be a
gander of woodturners.

Has 'Catch of Woodturners' been suggested yet?

See my previous post in this thread.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Obfuscated

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:07:00 -0500, Arch wrote:

'An argument of woodturners'

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

A revolution of woodturners?
A spin of woodturners?
A circle of woodturners?

Bill

Leo Lichtman

Splinter group

Leo Van Der Loo

LOL

Yes aren't we ??

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Splinter group

Obfuscated

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:47:41 -0500, George wrote:

After a spate of speculation I suggest the alliterative "wealth of
woodturners."

I'm all in favor of wealth. The trick seems to be to avoid wasting too
much time on a 'day job'.

Bill

Rob Dingnagian

Leo Van Der Loo wrote in message ...
LOL

Yes aren't we ??

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Splinter group

One splinter group, the oldest known professional group, are the trick
turners. They have been outlawed in most localities. They are often
found "Barah" ssed and their clientele can be quite em "Barah" ssed to
be caught dealing with them.

Eric
Leo Lichtman

"Rob Dingnagian" wrote: One splinter group, the oldest known professional
group, are the trick turners. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ROTFLMAO
I believe you will enjoy this, if you have not heard it befo "Coyote,"
the hookers union sells a Tee-shirt with this slogan. "The trick is not
getting caught."

Harry B. Pye

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
ROTFLMAO
I believe you will enjoy this, if you have not heard it befo "Coyote,"
the hookers union sells a Tee-shirt with this slogan. "The trick is not
getting caught."

Might we ask how you know this?

Leo Lichtman

"Harry B. Pye" wrote: Might we ask how you know this?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Certainly, you may ask...

Harry B. Pye

"Harry B. Pye" wrote: Might we ask how you know this?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Certainly, you may ask...

But I guess I shouldn't hold my breath while waiting for an answer!

woodgrinder

Well, as I understand it, "Barah" is a Hebrew verb that means "to
create out of nothing" or in Latin, Ex Nihilo. This is opposed to
assembling something out of existing parts. It's not a term you see
everyday. In woodturning circles (pun intended), we are relasing the
Bowl Within, rather than an Ex Nihilo creation. I'm afraid I'll have
to vote no to Barah.

I kind of like CLUTCH but similar-sounding CATCH has more meaning, as
most lathes I've seen don't have clutches, but belt-drives or
direct-drives. Technically they could be considered clutches, but it
doesn't feel like it to me.

Possible alternatives: a ROUND of turners. Or for the eccentric chuck
set, an OFF-CENTER of woodturners. For spindle turners: a COVE of
turners. How about a SPIN of turners? Or, based on how we actually
act, a CURMUDGEONRY of turners? Hm. Then there could be a CHUCK of
turners. Naw, let's chuck that one out.

Aw, CATCH is something I'm used to -- like when I do my exploding bowl
trick. Let's use that.
John Pierce
Maker of Fine Wood Chips and Sawdust

mac davis

On 7 Dec 2004 08:01:40 -0800, "woodgrinder"
wrote:

[...]

you can say that again..
no wait.. you did..

hope 3 times is the charm for you..

if all else fails, you could be Tina Turner..
woodgrinder

mac davis wrote:
On 7 Dec 2004 08:01:40 -0800, "woodgrinder"
wrote:

[snip...]

you can say that again..
no wait.. you did..

hope 3 times is the charm for you..

if all else fails, you could be Tina Turner..

OK, cut me some slaaaaack!

I'm using the new Google interface. It kept hitting me with errors,
saying it hadn't posted. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't.

People who are blessed with a real nntp reader don't have to worry
about this!

John
Maker of fine wood chips and sawdust

robdingnagian1

I've had the same issues. However, you've got to admit, it was funny.
Thanks for the chuckle Mac.

Eric

mac davis wrote:

if all else fails, you could be Tina Turner..

i know i'm getting old. i don't believe how many times i read that
before i got it.

martin caskey
millers island, maryland

mac davis

wrote:

[snip...]

you can say that again..
no wait.. you did..

hope 3 times is the charm for you..

if all else fails, you could be Tina Turner..

OK, cut me some slaaaaack!

I'm using the new Google interface. It kept hitting me with errors,
saying it hadn't posted. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't.

People who are blessed with a real nntp reader don't have to worry
about this!

John
Maker of fine wood chips and sawdust

yeah, that's what I figured was happening to ya..
you should try FreeAgent.. good program..
http://www.forteinc.com
I used it for years and finally broke down and bought Agent.. spell
check rocks! lol