Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using ATF as a Way Lubricant

Anyone use ATF as a way lubricant? Someone mentioned on Practical
Machinist that they use it in one of their older manual surface
grinders and it is slick as glass. I am not familiar with ATF or its
lubrication properties if anyone can shed any light on it for me. I
have a Bijur automatic lubricator on my DoAll 6x18. It has Turcite way
pads on the ways also.

Thanks, Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 May 2008 19:13:43 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Anyone use ATF as a way lubricant? Someone mentioned on Practical
Machinist that they use it in one of their older manual surface
grinders and it is slick as glass. I am not familiar with ATF or its
lubrication properties if anyone can shed any light on it for me. I
have a Bijur automatic lubricator on my DoAll 6x18. It has Turcite way
pads on the ways also.

Thanks, Steve

I do.
Clausing 8540 miller

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATF is just an oil with a 10-15 viscosity and a heavy detergent/anti-foam
package. Works good for a lot of things.
Dad used to mix it 50% with Kerosene for penetrating oil.

Paul and Diana Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I use it a lot. You have to be careful as it will destroy some seals, like
on my indexing table. It has very good water rejection. It will absorb some
water as all oils do, but a centerfuge readily spins the water out. It is
also too light for conventional Way oil, as its viscosity is around 150
Saybolt and Way oil should be around 350. It will work very well on ball
bearing ways, like surface grinders. You should not use ATF in oil sump,
spash lube machines! ATF has additives that keep contaminates in suspension
just like normal motor oil. Machine lube oils have no chemical additives,
which allows particulates to settle out in the sump.
Steve

wrote in message
Anyone use ATF as a way lubricant? Someone mentioned on Practical
Machinist that they use it in one of their older manual surface
grinders and it is slick as glass. I am not familiar with ATF or its
lubrication properties if anyone can shed any light on it for me. I
have a Bijur automatic lubricator on my DoAll 6x18. It has Turcite way
pads on the ways also.

Thanks, Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using ATF as a Way Lubricant/ penetrant

Stupendous Man wrote:
ATF is just an oil with a 10-15 viscosity and a heavy
detergent/anti-foam package. Works good for a lot of things.
Dad used to mix it 50% with Kerosene for penetrating oil.

Wasn't there a test a while back, ATF + acetone beat out
all the commercial "liquid wrench" type products? /m
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 12, 3:14 am, Mark F wrote:
Stupendous Man wrote:
ATF is just an oil with a 10-15 viscosity and a heavy
detergent/anti-foam package. Works good for a lot of things.
Dad used to mix it 50% with Kerosene for penetrating oil.

Wasn't there a test a while back, ATF + acetone beat out
all the commercial "liquid wrench" type products? /m

Here is the link to the ATF and acetone solution as a penetrating oil

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...+chain&lnk=ol&

Carl Boyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In the last few years, the way oils (that have a "68" in them) have
become available in small quantities, like, 1 gallon. Try MSC. I'd
prefer an oil with a higher viscosity the ATF. If one gallon sounds
like too much, think of the cost of having the ways repaired or loosing
accuracy due to wear. I use it on surface grinder, lathe and mill.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------------

wrote:
Anyone use ATF as a way lubricant? Someone mentioned on Practical
Machinist that they use it in one of their older manual surface
grinders and it is slick as glass. I am not familiar with ATF or its
lubrication properties if anyone can shed any light on it for me. I
have a Bijur automatic lubricator on my DoAll 6x18. It has Turcite way
pads on the ways also.

Thanks, Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-12, spaco wrote:
In the last few years, the way oils (that have a "68" in them) have
become available in small quantities, like, 1 gallon. Try MSC. I'd
prefer an oil with a higher viscosity the ATF. If one gallon sounds
like too much, think of the cost of having the ways repaired or loosing
accuracy due to wear. I use it on surface grinder, lathe and mill.

Why not use way oil as way oil???

a gallon that costs $18 (IIRC) will last you a very long time.

Pete Stanaitis

wrote:
Anyone use ATF as a way lubricant? Someone mentioned on Practical
Machinist that they use it in one of their older manual surface
grinders and it is slick as glass. I am not familiar with ATF or its
lubrication properties if anyone can shed any light on it for me. I
have a Bijur automatic lubricator on my DoAll 6x18. It has Turcite way
pads on the ways also.

Thanks, Steve

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Anyone use ATF as a way lubricant? Someone mentioned on Practical
Machinist that they use it in one of their older manual surface
grinders and it is slick as glass. I am not familiar with ATF or its
lubrication properties if anyone can shed any light on it for me. I
have a Bijur automatic lubricator on my DoAll 6x18. It has Turcite way
pads on the ways also.

Thanks, Steve

Steve,

After honing an engine block, or assembling an engine I use ATF on a lint
free towel to wipe down the cylinder bores. I do the same for milling
contact points before final assembly. It has a detergent property and is an
old trick I learned years ago. It cleans up bores really well and also
works on fouling on firearm bores and barrels. A quick wipe down then
assembly or it attracts any air-borne particles of funk. Works like a charm.

Respects,

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:

In the last few years, the way oils (that have a "68" in them) have
become available in small quantities, like, 1 gallon. Try MSC. I'd
prefer an oil with a higher viscosity the ATF. If one gallon sounds
like too much, think of the cost of having the ways repaired or loosing
accuracy due to wear. I use it on surface grinder, lathe and mill.

McMasters has vactra #2. Down at bottom of page.

http://tinyurl.com/5dv7gx

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus17662 wrote:

Why not use way oil as way oil???

The only place around here I could find sold 1 litre bottles, but
couldn't send it through the post. They went bust before I got around to
visiting them, some 100 miles away. I can have a "5 gallon" drum of
Vactra, but can't afford it.

Jordan
Not USA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

To get my way oil and spindle oil, I just went to a local company that
is a large fuel oil supplier. They sell all kinds of industrial
lubricants. I told them what I wanted, they took me out back to some
huge tanks and filled my little containers. That's it. It pays to be
humble, too, since they usualy deal in larger sales.

I did this about 20 years ago. I did buy 5 gallons of way oil and one
gallon of spindle oil. Yesterday I went out to refill one of my way oil
squirt cans and noticed that the 5 gallon pail is half empty! Maybe one
gallon isn't even a lifetime supply! 2 lathes, vertical mill, surface
grinder.

Pete Stanaitis

T-9 Lubricant Ron Woodworking 2 March 13th 07 04:27 AM
Screw lubricant Woodworking 1 February 13th 07 03:27 PM
Lubricant David Metalworking 20 December 20th 05 06:29 AM
QC lubricant? Rex B Metalworking 7 May 22nd 05 12:02 AM
Silicone lubricant JimM UK diy 18 July 14th 03 07:23 PM