Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus17662 Ignoramus17662 is offline

Default Using ATF as a Way Lubricant

On 2008-05-12, spaco wrote:
In the last few years, the way oils (that have a "68" in them) have
become available in small quantities, like, 1 gallon. Try MSC. I'd
prefer an oil with a higher viscosity the ATF. If one gallon sounds
like too much, think of the cost of having the ways repaired or loosing
accuracy due to wear. I use it on surface grinder, lathe and mill.

Why not use way oil as way oil???

a gallon that costs $18 (IIRC) will last you a very long time.

Pete Stanaitis

wrote:
Anyone use ATF as a way lubricant? Someone mentioned on Practical
Machinist that they use it in one of their older manual surface
grinders and it is slick as glass. I am not familiar with ATF or its
lubrication properties if anyone can shed any light on it for me. I
have a Bijur automatic lubricator on my DoAll 6x18. It has Turcite way
pads on the ways also.

Thanks, Steve

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/