Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Using ATF as a Way Lubricant

I use it a lot. You have to be careful as it will destroy some seals, like
on my indexing table. It has very good water rejection. It will absorb some
water as all oils do, but a centerfuge readily spins the water out. It is
also too light for conventional Way oil, as its viscosity is around 150
Saybolt and Way oil should be around 350. It will work very well on ball
bearing ways, like surface grinders. You should not use ATF in oil sump,
spash lube machines! ATF has additives that keep contaminates in suspension
just like normal motor oil. Machine lube oils have no chemical additives,
which allows particulates to settle out in the sump.
Steve

wrote in message
Anyone use ATF as a way lubricant? Someone mentioned on Practical
Machinist that they use it in one of their older manual surface
grinders and it is slick as glass. I am not familiar with ATF or its
lubrication properties if anyone can shed any light on it for me. I
have a Bijur automatic lubricator on my DoAll 6x18. It has Turcite way
pads on the ways also.

Thanks, Steve