Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moment of lame..er...shame....

Gunner wrote:

And as Im cleaning up, I pick up the gun and push the button..and
didnt hear any gas.....I discovered Id run all those crappy welds with
no gas........turned on the gas...did a couple test welds...pretty,
shiney and laid down nicely. No cleanup needed.....

Sigh....it was one of those days.......

Gunner, hanging head in shame...

Don't feel bad, I turned on the gas and fought nasty welds the other day.
Then I put a new tank of shield gas up and started over.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Gunner wrote:

And as Im cleaning up, I pick up the gun and push the button..and
didnt hear any gas.....I discovered Id run all those crappy welds with
no gas........turned on the gas...did a couple test welds...pretty,
shiney and laid down nicely. No cleanup needed.....

Sigh....it was one of those days.......

Gunner, hanging head in shame...

Don't feel bad, I turned on the gas and fought nasty welds the other day.
Then I put a new tank of shield gas up and started over.

Wes

Some days it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps
and get out of bed...

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Gunner wrote:

And as Im cleaning up, I pick up the gun and push the button..and
didnt hear any gas.....I discovered Id run all those crappy welds with
no gas........turned on the gas...did a couple test welds...pretty,
shiney and laid down nicely. No cleanup needed.....

Sigh....it was one of those days.......

Gunner, hanging head in shame...

Don't feel bad, I turned on the gas and fought nasty welds the other day.
Then I put a new tank of shield gas up and started over.

Wes

You know, they put that lovely little gauge right by the valve for a
reason...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 May 2008 09:37:23 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:
Wes wrote:
Gunner wrote:

And as Im cleaning up, I pick up the gun and push the button..and
didnt hear any gas.....I discovered Id run all those crappy welds with
no gas........turned on the gas...did a couple test welds...pretty,
shiney and laid down nicely. No cleanup needed.....

Sigh....it was one of those days.......

Don't feel bad, I turned on the gas and fought nasty welds the other day.
Then I put a new tank of shield gas up and started over.

You know, they put that lovely little gauge right by the valve for a
reason...

And with straight CO2 shielding gas (or a CO2 mix) it's safe to
sniff the end of the gun - if the gas isn't getting all the way there,
you'll know when your nose doesn't react.

And with all the fancy schmancy electronics on some of these feature
laden welders, you'd think one of the displays could be gas flow in
CFM - and it's always a big clue when the readout stays nailed on 0.0

(Kind of like a VCR flashing 12:00)

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

You know, they put that lovely little gauge right by the valve for a
reason...

Well, I did eventually look at it and the flow ball....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Wes wrote:
Gunner wrote:

[...]

For that matter, how hard would it be to rig a pressure switch and a
buzzer on the pre solenoid side so that once input pressure falls to a
preset cut off point, you get a beep as soon as you squeeze the trigger?
Plenty of times I've started a day with a quarter tank of gas but by 2
PM you don't think about it as your welds begin to go to crap... and
with my overhead arm and feeder, I can be far enough away that I can't
even see the tank, much less the little ball on the flowmeter.

Ought to be a cheap pressure sensing switch out there...

Stuart
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Wes wrote:
Gunner wrote:

[...]

Gas pressure there is what, like 35 PSI? How about 3460K61 from
http://www.mcmaster.com for $22.77?

OT - Tis a filthy shame Arthur2 UK diy 10 January 13th 08 11:05 PM
Its a great shame Mike Richardson Woodworking 7 July 29th 06 05:31 AM
Lame Dwarf Mike Dembroge Woodworking 0 May 20th 06 01:06 PM
SHAME G & G Etzel Woodworking 4 April 27th 04 09:26 PM
RIP uk.rec.caravanning - what a shame Reverend {Parson} Peter Parsnip UK diy 6 February 8th 04 05:33 PM