Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Sine ball" in a project

I figured since this uses a ball-bearing to generate sine waves
(mechanisms like that have been seen here now and then), this would
have some interest:

http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/harmonium/

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 2, 3:25 pm, wrote:
I figured since this uses a ball-bearing to generate sine waves
(mechanisms like that have been seen here now and then), this would
have some interest:

http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/harmonium/

Dave

Whups- the ball is for an integrator, jumped to that because that's
the part I recognized.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On May 2, 3:25 pm, wrote:

I figured since this uses a ball-bearing to generate sine waves
(mechanisms like that have been seen here now and then), this would
have some interest:

http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/harmonium/

Dave

Whups- the ball is for an integrator, jumped to that because that's
the part I recognized.

Dave

Yeah, the olde "ball and disk integrators" I remember seeing gathering
dust in the corners of some labs when I was in college.

I think they were WWII relics from mechanical analog computers used for
weapons aiming or something similar.

Beautifull machining though isn't it? She(?) must be one in a gadzillion.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I figured since this uses a ball-bearing to generate sine waves
(mechanisms like that have been seen here now and then), this would
have some interest:

http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/harmonium/

It has some resemblance to the guidance
computer in an old Pershing I missile.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OK which is it Global Warming or Cooling?

http://snipurl.com/26uz7 [www_nytimes_com]
http://snipurl.com/26uzf [earthobservatory_nasa_gov]
http://snipurl.com/26uzl [wingod_newsvine_com]
http://www.climateaudit.org/wp-conte...4/tropic53.gif
http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2006...n_Cooling.html

"I think both Brennan and Shepherd are full of crap, and that neither
one has any idea regarding what they're talking about. They have an
agenda of their own(they're both with righty wacko "news" organizations)
and it has nothing to do with science. They can be safely ignored as
bull**** bloviators."

I guess NASA, The New York Times and the Earth Observatory section at
NASA are also "righty wackos"

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
http://snipurl.com/26uz7 [www_nytimes_com]
http://snipurl.com/26uzf [earthobservatory_nasa_gov]
http://snipurl.com/26uzl [wingod_newsvine_com]
http://www.climateaudit.org/wp-conte...4/tropic53.gif
http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2006...n_Cooling.html

"I think both Brennan and Shepherd are full of crap, and that neither one
has any idea regarding what they're talking about. They have an agenda of
their own(they're both with righty wacko "news" organizations) and it has
nothing to do with science. They can be safely ignored as bull****
bloviators."

I guess NASA, The New York Times and the Earth Observatory section at NASA
are also "righty wackos"

Did you read the NASA news release, or just the Newsmax rehash of American
Stinker's rehash?

It may be too complicated for those...uh..."journalists." The story is that
the PDO cycle this time is likely to be a long one (their ups and downs have
been tracked for decades, so they have some knowledge of these things), and
the temperatures resulting from the PDO cycle are likely to swing widely
enough to mask the global warming trend. Also, locally, the effects of a La
Niña can push the evidence either way.

Our "journalists" used this as evidence that something is wrong with the
research climatologists at NASA. Of course, these "journalists" have a deep
knowledge of the science involved. Right....

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/harmonium/

Beautifull machining though isn't it? She(?) must be one in a gadzillion.

Holy **it! This lady has WAYYYY too much time on her hands!
Some beautiful machining, both the artsy stuff and the technical
work. The one with the inertial nav platform is really neat,
shows somebody moving the platform by hand and the
gyro-stabilized platform holding position in reference to the
universe. Even shows it doing a quick flip when it got near to
a gimbal lock.

There is a credit line at the bottom of the home page that says
the beautiful contraptions were made by Mrs. Tatjana van Vark.
There is a white-haired woman seen from the back in the
"Navigation and Bombing System" section. You have to see
"Overview 1" of that to see what a CONTRAPTION she's built in
her house!

Under Oscilloscopes, it notes Tatjana was born in 1944, she
built her first oscilloscope in 1958. She's definitely got me
beat by nearly a decade (of course, she got a head start, too.)

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

how about this page, reached through an odd series of links from the page
below

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/ampin...proj.htm#fail1

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
wrote:

I figured since this uses a ball-bearing to generate sine waves
(mechanisms like that have been seen here now and then), this would
have some interest:

http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/harmonium/

It has some resemblance to the guidance
computer in an old Pershing I missile.

Umm, yeah! She's built one of those, too. See "Inertial
Navigator Platform", and check out the video of her picking up
the stable platform and moving it around while it is running.
Extremely cool!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Yeah, the olde "ball and disk integrators" I remember seeing gathering
dust in the corners of some labs when I was in college.

I think they were WWII relics from mechanical analog computers used for
weapons aiming or something similar.

Beautifull machining though isn't it? She(?) must be one in a gadzillion.

Jeff

Doing a bit more digging, here's some info about her, and
pictures of her shop!

http://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/vanVark.htm

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 02 May 2008 23:57:35 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Jon
Elson quickly quoth:

Jim Stewart wrote:
wrote:

I figured since this uses a ball-bearing to generate sine waves
(mechanisms like that have been seen here now and then), this would
have some interest:

http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/harmonium/

It has some resemblance to the guidance
computer in an old Pershing I missile.

Umm, yeah! She's built one of those, too. See "Inertial
Navigator Platform", and check out the video of her picking up
the stable platform and moving it around while it is running.
Extremely cool!

The harmonium is a beautiful and impressive piece of work. But I
wonder how many unnecessary gears and shafts there are in there. I say
that after noticing that the cone gear train is all the same tooth
size/pitch, so all rows of teeth engage simultaneously. Hmmm...
http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/tvva/harm3_12_s.jpg

--
Those who flee temptation generally leave a forwarding address.
-- Lane Olinghouse
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 03 May 2008 06:58:34 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

The harmonium is a beautiful and impressive piece of work. But I
wonder how many unnecessary gears and shafts there are in there. I say
that after noticing that the cone gear train is all the same tooth
size/pitch, so all rows of teeth engage simultaneously. Hmmm...
http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/tvva/harm3_12_s.jpg

There must be some sort of clutch to select which pair of gears is
active, otherwise the shafts would be locked. You can't have both a
1:2 and 2:1 ratio, for example, between two shafts simultaneously.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The harmonium is a beautiful and impressive piece of work. But I
wonder how many unnecessary gears and shafts there are in there. I say
that after noticing that the cone gear train is all the same tooth
size/pitch, so all rows of teeth engage simultaneously. Hmmm...
http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/tvva/harm3_12_s.jpg

the gears MUST be free to rotate on one of the two shafts - think about it -
with all engaged, each with a different ratio, and with the gears locked to
the input shaft, each output gear will turn at a different speed. my guess
(and I can't confirm from photos) is that a clutch selects one of those
gears to lock to the output shaft

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

But I
wonder how many unnecessary gears and shafts there are in there. I say
that after noticing that the cone gear train is all the same tooth
size/pitch, so all rows of teeth engage simultaneously.

Now I know why you post only crap!

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 03 May 2008 11:31:23 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Ned
Simmons quickly quoth:

wrote:

The harmonium is a beautiful and impressive piece of work. But I
wonder how many unnecessary gears and shafts there are in there. I say
that after noticing that the cone gear train is all the same tooth
size/pitch, so all rows of teeth engage simultaneously. Hmmm...
http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/tvva/harm3_12_s.jpg

There must be some sort of clutch to select which pair of gears is
active, otherwise the shafts would be locked. You can't have both a
1:2 and 2:1 ratio, for example, between two shafts simultaneously.

I _knew_ something kept bothering me about that thing but I didn't
spend the time to run it through the whole diagnostic. Thanks.