Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default "Sine ball" in a project

The harmonium is a beautiful and impressive piece of work. But I
wonder how many unnecessary gears and shafts there are in there. I say
that after noticing that the cone gear train is all the same tooth
size/pitch, so all rows of teeth engage simultaneously. Hmmm...
http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/tvva/harm3_12_s.jpg

the gears MUST be free to rotate on one of the two shafts - think about it -
with all engaged, each with a different ratio, and with the gears locked to
the input shaft, each output gear will turn at a different speed. my guess
(and I can't confirm from photos) is that a clutch selects one of those
gears to lock to the output shaft