DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   $4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/242646-%244-dollar-gas-its-effects-metalworking.html)

Jeff R. April 13th 08 12:32 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

wrote in message
On Apr 13, 6:21 pm, "Jeff R." wrote:
...and our gallon is bigger.

--
Jeff R.
(but we don't like to brag)

Dunno - I know the American Gallon is "different" - I used 3.78 litres
as an equivalent. Our dollar is worth 90c American - its not getting
worth more, yours is going down against the rest of the world. This is
good for me, I can afford to buy Chinese tools cheaper from the states
than I can here...(go figure THAT one!) - now, if your postage prices
were not so outrageous....(bloody liberals again...)

Andrew VK3BFA.

Sorry Andrew - I should have clarified. I'm posting from VK2.

:-)

--
Jeff R.

Al Patrick April 13th 08 12:51 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

You may soon have to change this heading to $4.50 gasoline. ;-)

Diesel just hit $4.10 yesterday in may area. .... well $4.099 !

Larry Jaques April 13th 08 01:33 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:49:13 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada quickly quoth:

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 05:36:20 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

What do you think about taking oil/gas under the public utility
umbrella? I like the idea but haven't quite thought it through yet.

Public utility? What dat?
Hydro used to be public in Ontario. Ain't no more.
Natural gas used to be public utility in many cities. Only a few still
hanging on.
Even our highways are going into private hands - along with airports,
etc etc.

How is that working out for y'all?

--
Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada April 13th 08 02:06 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 02:53:12 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Apr 13, 6:21 pm, "Jeff R." wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in .com...

wrote:
On Apr 9, 5:27 am, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Well it looks like we will definitely see $4 dollar gas this summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/...and;_ylt=Alg4Q...

Any thoughts as to how this will affect us HSMers in the shop?

I already find myself limiting the distance I will drive to view,
purchase and pickup machines and supplies for my shop.

TMT

Wow, $4 a gallon! - thats a really good price, where can I get some? -
here in OZ its $5.30 a gallon,

And your dollar is actually worth something.

...and our gallon is bigger.

--
Jeff R.
(but we don't like to brag)

Dunno - I know the American Gallon is "different" - I used 3.78 litres
as an equivalent. Our dollar is worth 90c American - its not getting
worth more, yours is going down against the rest of the world. This is
good for me, I can afford to buy Chinese tools cheaper from the states
than I can here...(go figure THAT one!) - now, if your postage prices
were not so outrageous....(bloody liberals again...)

Andrew VK3BFA.

The yankee gallon is a pipsqueak

[email protected] April 13th 08 02:08 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Apr 13, 9:32 pm, "Jeff R." wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 13, 6:21 pm, "Jeff R." wrote:
...and our gallon is bigger.

--
Jeff R.
(but we don't like to brag)

Dunno - I know the American Gallon is "different" - I used 3.78 litres
as an equivalent. Our dollar is worth 90c American - its not getting
worth more, yours is going down against the rest of the world. This is
good for me, I can afford to buy Chinese tools cheaper from the states
than I can here...(go figure THAT one!) - now, if your postage prices
were not so outrageous....(bloody liberals again...)

Andrew VK3BFA.

Sorry Andrew - I should have clarified. I'm posting from VK2.

:-)

--
Jeff R.

Well, that was an "oops" moment!. .....petrol here is hovering about
$1.44, will be interesting to see what it gets to on Tuesday, thats
the traditional bottom of the discount cycle. Papers reckon it will
hit $1.50 by the end of next week. (Bugger!) I am relatively lucky,
only do 1 long trip a week to TAFE, (metalworking course) - the rest
of the time, its local short distance stuff. And I can choose when I
go out, so don't waste fuel sitting in traffic jams.....ever had the
thought, crawling down the "freeway" that this is bloody ridiculous -
have the urge to pull into the centre median, get out the portable gas
stove, brew up a cup of tea. Stick a sign out, saying "why are you
doing this - stop for a cuppa - stop being a lab rat. " - if enough
people did it, then, maybe, it would be recognised as a bloody silly
way of moving people about - all at the same time - endless oceans of
cars, usually with one person in them, stretching into the distance,
moving at less than walking pace.....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Spehro Pefhany April 13th 08 03:32 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

wrote:

What do you think about taking oil/gas under the public utility
umbrella? I like the idea but haven't quite thought it through yet.

Public utility? What dat?
Hydro used to be public in Ontario. Ain't no more.
Natural gas used to be public utility in many cities. Only a few still
hanging on.
Even our highways are going into private hands - along with airports,
etc etc.

How is that working out for y'all?

All the private sector competition is resulting in higher prices, more
user fees, and taxes only increasing slowly ('till they have spent all
the proceeds from selling off publically owned assets, of course)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Eregon April 13th 08 04:52 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

nick hull wrote in news:nhull-D1F580.16114012042008
@dialupusa.usenetserver.com:

You need an Icon showing the Fed screwing everyone, they are the
one who create inflation.

Would an acronym do?

An old friend has invented a new one for describing the impact of
new/revised government regulations: BOHICA.

BOHICA stands for Bend Over - Here It Comes Again!

F. George McDuffee April 13th 08 04:53 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

snip
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 02:00:06 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

If you wondered how fragile "The System" is, try reading this....

It can happen to any company or anyone.

TMT

Credit card trouble pushed Frontier over By JOHN WILEN, AP Business
Writer
Fri Apr 11, 7:03 PM ET

Frontier Airlines, the latest airline to file for bankruptcy, was
pushed over the brink by a problem that could spread to other
carriers: credit card troubles.

snip
The move ends a policy under which the processor, First Data Corp,
passed on most money from ticket sales to Frontier. The change is
intended to protect First Data, which would be on the hook for ticket
refunds if Frontier stops flying. ==Frontier plans to continue operating
while in bankruptcy.== {Emphasis added.}

================
This is yet another way the provident, solvent and thrifty take
it in the shorts.

Why should Frontier keep flying? The only thing they will do is
squeeze the hourly employees harder and minimize
maintenance/cleaning, after getting huge "debtor in possession"
loans at extortion rates.

This is the second bankruptch for Frontier
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontie...nes_(1950-1986)
On October 24, 1986, Continental Airlines, a Texas Air unit,
bought both People Express and Frontier Airlines. They were
merged into Continental on February 1, 1987 along with New York
Air and all other Continental airline subsidiaries. Frontier's
failure also doomed People Express, New York Air and four
commuter carriers. It would take years to settle the pension
disputes and lawsuits. Efforts were still being made in 2007 to
settle ESOP accounts.

history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_Airlines
On April 10, 2008, Frontier announced that it filed for Chapter
11 bankruptcy due to its credit card processor, First Data,
attempting to withhold significant proceeds from ticket sales.
First Data suddenly decided that it would withhold 100% of the
carriers proceeds from ticket sales beginning May 1st.[2]
According to Frontier's press release, "This change in practice
would have represented a material change to our cash forecasts
and business plan. Unchecked, it would have put severe restraints
on Frontier's liquidity..." Its operation continues
uninterrupted, though, as Chapter 11 bankruptcy protects the
corporation's assets and allows restructuring to ensure long-term
viability.

This sounds like a classic mob "squeeze play." In another thread
someone suggested that the credit card executives would be up
before congress explaining/justifying their role in the credit
debacle. This action by First Data may well be what starts that
particular ball rolling. 100% holdback????

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada April 13th 08 04:56 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

wrote:

What do you think about taking oil/gas under the public utility
umbrella? I like the idea but haven't quite thought it through yet.

Public utility? What dat?
Hydro used to be public in Ontario. Ain't no more.
Natural gas used to be public utility in many cities. Only a few still
hanging on.
Even our highways are going into private hands - along with airports,
etc etc.

How is that working out for y'all?

Not well.
Deregulated electricity and gas gets all the swindlers into high
gear.
The
privatized highways (electronic toll) are billing vehicles that have
never been on them, and if your tolls are unpaid you can't get your
tags renewed. If you have a transponder the rates are reasonable. If
you don't you get hit with a no-transponder fee that makes occaisional
use expensive.
The government isn't putting enough of our fuel taxes back into road
infrastructure maintenance and repairs.

At least they had enough brains not to allow our aerospace expertise
(developed at taxpayers expense) to be given away to the americans.
Second time in 50 years we stood to loose it all under a conservative
government - this time they had the balls to say NO to the USA. Canada
and the world lost the AVRO ARROW in 1958, and with that loss , the
vast majority of Canada's not inconsequential aerospace expertise.

All because the USA could not allow Canada to be or be seen as having
something better than the US.

Now the USA wanted RadarSat and full controll over the CanadArm and
it's new little brother space manipulator.
We will not be held to the role of "Hewers of wood and haulers of
water"

Not this time, anyway.

Eregon April 13th 08 05:12 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote in news:1527e5cd-f350-40f7-
:

Expensive fuel causes everything to become more expensive.

You can thank the various governments (state & federal) for keeping it as
low as it has been for the past half-century. After all, they COULD have
imposed the high taxes that are common in Europe.

I suspect we are at the beginning of a extended period of
hyperinflation.

A repeat of the late 70's?

Closer to the early '80s when the question "How do the folks in Detroit get
15 adults into a VW Beetle?" was answered by "Easy - tell them it's headed
to Texas!"

Wages definitely are not rising.

Wages in many fields/areas were already hyperinflated.

This is/was the cause of much of the "Outsourcing" and the "Offshore
Relocation" mania of the last 2 decades that saw Union jobs replaced by
non-Union jobs.

When burger-flippers expect $10+ /hr. to ask "Do you want fries with
that?" you should already know that the economy is in a World of Hurt.

When Illegal Immigrants earn enough money to buy mid-range homes you should
already know that the economy is in a World of Hurt.

When Welfare pays better than working you should already know that the
economy is in a World of Hurt.

When the Democrat Party was bought by the Peoples' Republic of China over a
decade ago you should expected that the economy would be in a World of Hurt
as the US Standard of Living was brought down to PRC levels.