DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   $4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/242646-%244-dollar-gas-its-effects-metalworking.html)

Ed Huntress April 10th 08 03:13 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

nick hull wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health
care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

Then you will get a 2-buck a gallon raise and no health coverage ;(

I made up this "international icon" graphic to 'splain the situation.
I thought it would make a great bumper sticker...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/proof.htm

Ha-ha! That stands the famous old Volkwagen ad on its rear -- the one
that showed a cartoon of a guy holding a pump nozzle to his head, with
his hand on the valve lever, committing suicide. g

--
Ed Huntress

Well, it seems appropriate for the times...
Glad you enjoyed it, Ed.

I think I'll print some up and stick them on some gas pumps.
See if I can get arrested for inciting a riot or something?

Be sure to call the local press first, if you do. g

--
Ed Huntress

John R. Carroll[_2_] April 10th 08 03:13 PM

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

nick hull wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent
health care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month.
(single)

Then you will get a 2-buck a gallon raise and no health coverage
;(

I made up this "international icon" graphic to 'splain the
situation. I thought it would make a great bumper sticker...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/proof.htm

Ha-ha! That stands the famous old Volkwagen ad on its rear -- the
one that showed a cartoon of a guy holding a pump nozzle to his
head, with his hand on the valve lever, committing suicide. g

--
Ed Huntress

Well, it seems appropriate for the times...
Glad you enjoyed it, Ed.

I think I'll print some up and stick them on some gas pumps.
See if I can get arrested for inciting a riot or something?

Be sure to call the local press first, if you do. g

I think I'll build a small mold and incorporate this into a keychain.
LOL

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

cavelamb himself[_4_] April 10th 08 03:21 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

I haven't thought it through, either, but my instinct is that it's a bad
idea. I don't think the problem is expensive gas. The problem is that we're
so hooked on petroleum. There isn't much chance of solving that issue by
political price-setting measures, which is what you'd have if you had an
"oil commission," or something equivalent to a utilities commission. People
would be screaming to lower prices for oil rather than screaming to develop
alternatives and the politicians wouldn't be able to resist.

--
Ed Huntress

That's quite an interesting obseervation, Ed.

cavelamb himself[_4_] April 10th 08 03:24 PM

John R. Carroll wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
news:[email protected] com...

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

nick hull wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Well, not like I can ask for royalties on it.
So Go for it.
But if you'd send me a few I'll help spread the word...

I found some "magnetic" paper (ON TOPIC HERE BOSS!) to make
some "bumper stickers".

Might be fun
:)

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

John R. Carroll[_2_] April 10th 08 03:28 PM

cavelamb himself wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

Be sure to call the local press first, if you do. g

I think I'll build a small mold and incorporate this into a keychain.
LOL

Well, not like I can ask for royalties on it.
So Go for it.
But if you'd send me a few I'll help spread the word...

I wouldn't sell them. They would make a great novelty give away.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Gunner[_2_] April 10th 08 05:50 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 05:27:00 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 03:40:04 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:56:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:51:06 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas.
Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular.
Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american
gallon.

But you have free health care ;)

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health
care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

I use much more than that.

Unfortunately, THAT, sir, is a self-inflicted wound.

Its the cost of doing business.

Gunner

Larry Jaques April 10th 08 08:19 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:50:42 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health
care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

I use much more than that.

Unfortunately, THAT, sir, is a self-inflicted wound.

Its the cost of doing business.

It's one possible choice, but, hey, I wouldn't want to live in HelL.A.
either. Not a chance.

--
Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

Wes[_2_] April 11th 08 02:53 AM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

What do you think about taking oil/gas under the public utility
umbrella? I like the idea but haven't quite thought it through yet.

I haven't thought it through, either, but my instinct is that it's a bad
idea. I don't think the problem is expensive gas. The problem is that we're
so hooked on petroleum. There isn't much chance of solving that issue by
political price-setting measures, which is what you'd have if you had an
"oil commission," or something equivalent to a utilities commission. People
would be screaming to lower prices for oil rather than screaming to develop
alternatives and the politicians wouldn't be able to resist.

I have a great idea, get government out of things completely. The only
thing the government seems to be able to do is introduce market distortions
that ultimately cost us.

I have far more faith in Exxon than Congress.

Wes

F. George McDuffee April 11th 08 05:07 AM

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:53:01 -0400, Wes wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

==========
While this is a great sound bite and has considerable emotional
appeal to us conservatives, where it falls down is the assumption
that somehow a giant corporation is not a government.

Why is socio-economic and cultural engineering any better from
the Exxons of the world than from the governments of the world?

Arrange the countries by GDP, from smallest to largest and
calculate the cumulative totals. Now compare this to Exxon's
gross sales.
http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTE...239419,00.html
GDP
Country BC$US 2007 Cumm $US rank (low to high)
Kiribati $0.073 $0.073 1
São Tomé and Príncipe $0.142 $0.215 2
Tonga $0.219 $0.434 3
Dominica $0.268 $0.702 4
Guinea-Bissau $0.343 $1.045 5
Solomon Islands $0.358 $1.403 6
Gambia, The $0.379 $1.782 7
Samoa $0.387 $2.169 8
Vanuatu $0.421 $2.590 9
Comoros $0.436 $3.026 10
Timor-Leste, Dem. Rep. of $0.472 $3.498 11
St. Kitts and Nevis $0.520 $4.018 12
St. Vincent and the Grenadines $0.528 $4.546 13
Grenada $0.553 $5.099 14
Liberia $0.732 $5.831 15
Seychelles $0.733 $6.564 16
Djibouti $0.834 $7.398 17
St. Lucia $0.958 $8.356 18
Guyana $0.978 $9.334 19
Burundi $0.989 $10.323 20
Maldives $1.024 $11.347 21
Antigua and Barbuda $1.079 $12.426 22
Bhutan $1.164 $13.590 23
Belize $1.304 $14.894 24
Cape Verde $1.367 $16.261 25
Eritrea $1.425 $17.686 26
Sierra Leone $1.549 $19.235 27
Lesotho $1.588 $20.823 28
Central African Republic $1.647 $22.470 29
Suriname $2.234 $24.704 30
Togo $2.393 $27.097 31
Swaziland $2.674 $29.771 32
Mauritania $2.747 $32.518 33
Rwanda $2.836 $35.354 34
Fiji $3.289 $38.643 35
Tajikistan $3.353 $41.996 36
Malawi $3.441 $45.437 37
Kyrgyz Republic $3.488 $48.925 38
Barbados $3.739 $52.664 39
Mongolia $3.854 $56.518 40
Lao People's Democratic Republic $4.008 $60.526 41
Moldova $4.021 $64.547 42
Niger $4.219 $68.766 43
Guinea $4.568 $73.334 44
Haiti $5.295 $78.629 45
Benin $5.425 $84.054 46
Nicaragua $5.675 $89.729 47
Papua New Guinea $5.914 $95.643 48
Chad $6.426 $102.069 49
Malta $6.450 $108.519 50
Bahamas, The $6.586 $115.105 51
Namibia $6.707 $121.812 52
Congo, Republic of $6.848 $128.660 53
Burkina Faso $6.858 $135.518 54
Mali $6.936 $142.454 55
Mauritius $7.030 $149.484 56
Madagascar $7.306 $156.790 57
Macedonia, Former Yugoslav Republic of $7.322 $164.112
58
Armenia $7.802 $171.914 59
Mozambique $8.132 $180.046 60
Cambodia $8.488 $188.534 61
Equatorial Guinea $9.512 $198.046 62
Georgia $9.553 $207.599 63
Nepal $9.627 $217.226 64
Congo, Democratic Republic of $9.850 $227.076 65
Afghanistan, Rep. of. $9.933 $237.009 66
Honduras $10.059 $247.068 67
Albania $10.310 $257.378 68
Gabon $10.342 $267.720 69
Paraguay $10.347 $278.067 70
Senegal $10.701 $288.768 71
Jamaica $10.737 $299.505 72
Zambia $10.887 $310.392 73
Uganda $11.141 $321.533 74
Botswana $11.347 $332.880 75
Brunei Darussalam $12.515 $345.395 76

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...ist/index.html
[Exxon is #2 on the Fortune 500 @ 347,254.0 (sales), 39,500.0
(profits) [billions of US$] so their gross sales are equal to the
GDP of the first 76 countries ranked by increasing GDP. Anyone
care to take a guess at what percent of the world's population
live in these 76 countries?

Exxon should have a seat in the United Nations, perhaps as a
permanent member of the security council.

FWIW -- Walmart was #1 with 351,139.0 billion$ in sales &
11,284.0 billion in profits. The total 2007 gross sale of both
these two corporations are 898,383.0 billion$ US or equal to the
GDP of the first 103 countries...

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

James Waldby April 11th 08 06:54 AM

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 23:07:25 -0500, F. George McDuffee wrote:
....[snip various country stats from http://web.worldbank.org]

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...ist/index.html
[Exxon is #2 on the Fortune 500 @ 347,254.0 (sales), 39,500.0 (profits)
[billions of US$] so their gross sales are equal to the GDP of the first
76 countries ranked by increasing GDP. Anyone care to take a guess at
what percent of the world's population live in these 76 countries?

Exxon should have a seat in the United Nations, perhaps as a permanent
member of the security council.

FWIW -- Walmart was #1 with 351,139.0 billion$ in sales & 11,284.0
billion in profits. The total 2007 gross sale of both these two
corporations are 898,383.0 billion$ US or equal to the GDP of the first
103 countries...

351 trillion dollars is a pretty good sales total. More than
seven times as much as the world-wide 48 trillion dollar GDP!