DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   $4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/242646-%244-dollar-gas-its-effects-metalworking.html)

Too_Many_Tools April 8th 08 08:27 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

Well it looks like we will definitely see $4 dollar gas this summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/...WE0yyABAqb.HQA

Any thoughts as to how this will affect us HSMers in the shop?

I already find myself limiting the distance I will drive to view,
purchase and pickup machines and supplies for my shop.

TMT

[email protected] April 8th 08 10:27 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/...and;_ylt=Alg4Q...

Any thoughts as to how this will affect us HSMers in the shop?

I already find myself limiting the distance I will drive to view,
purchase and pickup machines and supplies for my shop.

TMT

For sure the metal thieves will not be able to afford the gasoline to
haul their collection to the scrap yard. Probably the same for the
people who are advertising all the time for scrap metal.

Should be more for us!

Paul

Spehro Pefhany April 8th 08 10:40 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:27:52 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

Well it looks like we will definitely see $4 dollar gas this summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/...WE0yyABAqb.HQA

Any thoughts as to how this will affect us HSMers in the shop?

I already find myself limiting the distance I will drive to view,
purchase and pickup machines and supplies for my shop.

TMT

Less competition, so it's worth driving further?
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Too_Many_Tools April 8th 08 10:41 PM

On Apr 8, 3:27*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 8, 12:27 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Well it looks like we will definitely see $4 dollar gas this summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/...and;_ylt=Alg4Q....

Any thoughts as to how this will affect us HSMers in the shop?

I already find myself limiting the distance I will drive to view,
purchase and pickup machines and supplies for my shop.

TMT

For sure the metal thieves will not be able to afford the gasoline to
haul their collection to the scrap yard. Probably the same for the
people who are advertising all the time for scrap metal.

Should be more for us!

Paul

You make a good point.

Just last week a local scraper was whining that his fuel costs were
forcing him to make choices as to where he trolled for metal.

TMT

Rex April 8th 08 10:41 PM

(somebody) wrote:

Well it looks like we will definitely see $4 dollar gas this summer.

Federal Energy Dept. now predicts gas will peak at $3.60/gallon in early
summer.

Too_Many_Tools April 8th 08 11:57 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

--
"it's the network..." * * * * * * * * * * * * *"The Journey is the reward"
* * * * * * Info for manufacturers:http://www.trexon.com

Another good point.

I have always factored in expense of time and mileage when I am
looking for a mahcine.

TMT

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada April 9th 08 02:45 AM

wrote:

Well it looks like we will definitely see $4 dollar gas this summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/...WE0yyABAqb.HQA

Any thoughts as to how this will affect us HSMers in the shop?

I already find myself limiting the distance I will drive to view,
purchase and pickup machines and supplies for my shop.

TMT

Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas.
Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular.
Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american
gallon.

Steve R.[_3_] April 9th 08 03:14 AM

wrote:

Well it looks like we will definitely see $4 dollar gas this summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/...WE0yyABAqb.HQA

Any thoughts as to how this will affect us HSMers in the shop?

I already find myself limiting the distance I will drive to view,
purchase and pickup machines and supplies for my shop.

TMT

Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas.
Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular.
Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american
gallon.

$1.21 per litre here. You do the math!

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

F. George McDuffee April 9th 08 04:30 AM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

wrote:

Well it looks like we will definitely see $4 dollar gas this summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/...WE0yyABAqb.HQA

Any thoughts as to how this will affect us HSMers in the shop?

I already find myself limiting the distance I will drive to view,
purchase and pickup machines and supplies for my shop.

TMT

Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas.
Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular.
Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american
gallon.

===========
There is the price that you pay at the pump and what gas actually
costs.

Best current estimate is that *TOTAL* American gas costs to the
end user/consumer are about 10 to 12$ per US gallon when
subsidies, petroleum company tax breaks, tax increment financing,
no cost oil from public lands, etc., (which the tax payers or
their grand kids) have to make up are included.

Note that this does *NOT* include the interest cost on the
borrowed money for the oil company tax breaks and evasion,
military costs including American lives, tax evasion, and the
geo-political costs, which adds substantial but indefinite costs
to every gallon.

== This shows again what a bad idea it is to subvert the free
market by hiding costs. ==

If the US had been up front, with the public paying the full
skippie at the pump since the mid 70s, it would not be crunch
time now. Wind, solar, tidal and even bio fuels [using saw grass
and agricultural waste, *NOT* food stocks] would now be major
players in not only fuel but also feedstocks for plastics. We
would also not have a grossly distorted economy based on
subsidized transportation.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

John R. Carroll[_2_] April 9th 08 10:44 AM

wrote:

[...]

All true and this isn't only an energy industry thing.
Increased gasoline prices have already had one positive result here in LA.
Traffic has dropped significantly on some routes, especially I-405 between
LAX and 101. I made it from Chatsworth to Torrance (46 miles) yesterday in
an hour at three o'clock in the afternoon. That is unheard of.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com