DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   $4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/242646-%244-dollar-gas-its-effects-metalworking.html)

Ed Huntress April 10th 08 11:47 AM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:56:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:51:06 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas.
Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular.
Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american
gallon.

But you have free health care ;)

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health
care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

I use much more than that.

Gunner

With three drivers and two cars in my family, we use about 45 gallons/month.
That is, since I started telecommuting.

--
Ed Huntress

Larry Jaques April 10th 08 01:21 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:20:22 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Steve
R." quickly quoth:

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:51:06 -0400, Wes wrote:

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas.
Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular.
Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american
gallon.

But you have free health care ;)

Not free in Ontario. There is an employee health tax.

It's not free. It just that there is a health insurance plan for each
province. Most of us pay a fee every month. That and taxation covers the
cost when we do get sick. The system is run as close to cost as possible. In
B.C., it's run by a crown corporation. There is some variation from one
province to another. The Canada Health Act sets minimum standards. No one
can be refused coverage for previously occurring conditions. Many people
also volunteer where it's practical. For example, I am registered as a
volunteer driver, to take cancer patients in for treatment. This way, we do
not have to front cash when services are needed, and overall costs are lower
due to the economies of scale.

That's what our Congress said they were doing for us with the current
prescription drug plan. Instead, it resulted in higher overall costs
for U.S. citizens and a real windfall for the drug companies.

Comprehensive health care should be available in the USA, but we'll
have to totally revamp the entire system to be able to do it. Moving
to a preventive care system would help, too. The gov't shouldn't fund
it (I'm a Libertarian, and I hate to add the latter, too) but could
regulate it.

By putting the Congress on our own public health system, it would
-really- help get them focused on the actual issues here.

--
Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

Larry Jaques April 10th 08 01:24 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 05:34:41 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, nick
hull quickly quoth:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health
care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

Then you will get a 2-buck a gallon raise and no health coverage ;(

The end result would be the $2/gal raise, since I don't have coverage
now. It's all fantasy and idealism, anyway. We're going down the
tubes and we no longer "gotta wear shades" to see our near future.
big, deep sigh

--
Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

Larry Jaques April 10th 08 01:27 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 03:40:04 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:51:06 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas.
Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular.
Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american
gallon.

But you have free health care ;)

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health
care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

I use much more than that.

Unfortunately, THAT, sir, is a self-inflicted wound.

--
Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

Larry Jaques April 10th 08 01:36 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 06:31:08 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

I made up this "international icon" graphic to 'splain the situation.
I thought it would make a great bumper sticker...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/proof.htm

Ha-ha! That stands the famous old Volkwagen ad on its rear -- the one that
showed a cartoon of a guy holding a pump nozzle to his head, with his hand
on the valve lever, committing suicide. g

What do you think about taking oil/gas under the public utility
umbrella? I like the idea but haven't quite thought it through yet.

--
Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

cavelamb himself[_4_] April 10th 08 02:24 PM

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

nick hull wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health
care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

Then you will get a 2-buck a gallon raise and no health coverage ;(

I made up this "international icon" graphic to 'splain the situation.
I thought it would make a great bumper sticker...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/proof.htm

Ha-ha! That stands the famous old Volkwagen ad on its rear -- the one that
showed a cartoon of a guy holding a pump nozzle to his head, with his hand
on the valve lever, committing suicide. g

--
Ed Huntress

Well, it seems appropriate for the times...
Glad you enjoyed it, Ed.

I think I'll print some up and stick them on some gas pumps.
See if I can get arrested for inciting a riot or something?

cavelamb himself[_4_] April 10th 08 02:30 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health
care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

Then you will get a 2-buck a gallon raise and no health coverage ;(

The end result would be the $2/gal raise, since I don't have coverage
now. It's all fantasy and idealism, anyway. We're going down the
tubes and we no longer "gotta wear shades" to see our near future.
big, deep sigh

--
Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

Speak for you own depressing future, Larry.
I just got a pair of heavily chromed Georgia Cop shades!
Looking forward to it.

BTW, anyone who advocates Socialized Medicine in the US should
go check out the VA hospitals in this country.

The top dogs are getting paid bonuses for not providing the services
paid for (by you).

yeah yeah, I got cites...
http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?...08040651180337

Richard

whales? What on earth would I want with whales?

Wes[_2_] April 10th 08 02:52 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health
care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

Oh you will accept a gas tax as long as it doesn't really impact you? Tsk,
tsk.

Wes

F. George McDuffee April 10th 08 02:53 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:24:23 -0500, cavelamb himself
wrote:
snip
In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health
care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

snip
starting a rerun of a previous thread

One of the major problems is that the US citizens are *ALREADY*
paying for universal single payer health care based on the
fraction of GDP we spend. Indeed we spend about 50% more as a %
of GDP than the other nations that have such care such as the UK,
Canada, France, etc.

The problem is that much of this is "overhead" with no
relationship to providing medical care. Indeed, we appear to be
spending more money denying medical care than what it would cost
to just go ahead and provide it. And then there are the
multimillion dollar bonuses for the executives of the HMOs who's
main function is to deny healthcare...

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

Ed Huntress April 10th 08 03:10 PM

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 06:31:08 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

I made up this "international icon" graphic to 'splain the situation.
I thought it would make a great bumper sticker...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/proof.htm

Ha-ha! That stands the famous old Volkwagen ad on its rear -- the one that
showed a cartoon of a guy holding a pump nozzle to his head, with his hand
on the valve lever, committing suicide. g

What do you think about taking oil/gas under the public utility
umbrella? I like the idea but haven't quite thought it through yet.

I haven't thought it through, either, but my instinct is that it's a bad
idea. I don't think the problem is expensive gas. The problem is that we're
so hooked on petroleum. There isn't much chance of solving that issue by
political price-setting measures, which is what you'd have if you had an
"oil commission," or something equivalent to a utilities commission. People
would be screaming to lower prices for oil rather than screaming to develop
alternatives and the politicians wouldn't be able to resist.

--
Ed Huntress