DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   $4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/242646-%244-dollar-gas-its-effects-metalworking.html)

Wes[_2_] April 9th 08 01:51 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas.
Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular.
Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american
gallon.

But you have free health care ;)

SteveB[_6_] April 9th 08 02:03 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote

All true and this isn't only an energy industry thing.
Increased gasoline prices have already had one positive result here in LA.
Traffic has dropped significantly on some routes, especially I-405 between
LAX and 101. I made it from Chatsworth to Torrance (46 miles) yesterday in
an hour at three o'clock in the afternoon. That is unheard of.

I figured it was about break point time for slovenly unnecessary driving.
Lots of people flitting here and there, cell phone glued to their ear,
driving a stick shift, drinking a soda and smoking at the same time. Going
nowhere, doing nothing. Usually under twenty five years old.

Steve

Larry Jaques April 9th 08 11:56 PM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:51:06 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas.
Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular.
Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american
gallon.

But you have free health care ;)

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health
care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

--
Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada April 10th 08 01:29 AM

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:51:06 -0400, Wes wrote:

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas.
Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular.
Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american
gallon.

But you have free health care ;)

Not free in Ontario. There is an employee health tax.

Too_Many_Tools April 10th 08 05:15 AM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Apr 9, 3:44*am, "John R. Carroll"
wrote:
F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 21:45:03 -0400, clare at snyder dot ontario
dot canada wrote:

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:27:52 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

Well it looks like we will definitely see $4 dollar gas this summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/...and;_ylt=Alg4Q...

Any thoughts as to how this will affect us HSMers in the shop?

I already find myself limiting the distance I will drive to view,
purchase and pickup machines and supplies for my shop.

TMT
Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas.
Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular.
Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american
gallon.
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

===========
There is the price that you pay at the pump and what gas actually
costs.

Best current estimate is that *TOTAL* American gas costs to the
end user/consumer are about 10 to 12$ per US gallon when
subsidies, petroleum company tax breaks, tax increment financing,
no cost oil from public lands, etc., (which the tax payers or
their grand kids) *have to make up are included.

Note that this does *NOT* include the interest cost on the
borrowed money for the oil company tax breaks and evasion,
military costs including American lives, tax evasion, and the
geo-political costs, which adds substantial but indefinite costs
to every gallon.

== This shows again what a bad idea it is to subvert the free
market by hiding costs. ==

If the US had been up front, with the public paying the full
skippie at the pump since the mid 70s, it would not be crunch
time now. *Wind, solar, tidal and even bio fuels [using saw grass
and agricultural waste, *NOT* food stocks] would now be major
players in not only fuel but also feedstocks for plastics. *We
would also not have a grossly distorted economy based on
subsidized transportation.

All true and this isn't only an energy industry thing.
Increased gasoline prices have already had one positive result here in LA.
Traffic has dropped significantly on some routes, especially I-405 between
LAX and 101. I made it from Chatsworth to Torrance (46 miles) yesterday in
an hour at three o'clock in the afternoon. That is unheard of.

--

* * * * * *John R. Carroll
*www.machiningsolution.com- Hide quoted text -

yeah..I have seen the traffic down too.

But when considers that road work is funded by gas taxes, it will be
coming back around to bite us.

TMT

Steve R.[_3_] April 10th 08 05:20 AM

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:51:06 -0400, Wes wrote:

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas.
Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular.
Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american
gallon.

But you have free health care ;)

Not free in Ontario. There is an employee health tax.

It's not free. It just that there is a health insurance plan for each
province. Most of us pay a fee every month. That and taxation covers the
cost when we do get sick. The system is run as close to cost as possible. In
B.C., it's run by a crown corporation. There is some variation from one
province to another. The Canada Health Act sets minimum standards. No one
can be refused coverage for previously occurring conditions. Many people
also volunteer where it's practical. For example, I am registered as a
volunteer driver, to take cancer patients in for treatment. This way, we do
not have to front cash when services are needed, and overall costs are lower
due to the economies of scale.

Steve. R.

cavelamb himself[_4_] April 10th 08 11:11 AM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

nick hull wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health
care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

Then you will get a 2-buck a gallon raise and no health coverage ;(

I made up this "international icon" graphic to 'splain the situation.
I thought it would make a great bumper sticker...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/proof.htm

Richard

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

Ed Huntress April 10th 08 11:31 AM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
nick hull wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health
care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

Then you will get a 2-buck a gallon raise and no health coverage ;(

I made up this "international icon" graphic to 'splain the situation.
I thought it would make a great bumper sticker...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/proof.htm

Ha-ha! That stands the famous old Volkwagen ad on its rear -- the one that
showed a cartoon of a guy holding a pump nozzle to his head, with his hand
on the valve lever, committing suicide. g

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner[_2_] April 10th 08 11:40 AM

$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:56:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:51:06 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas.
Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular.
Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american
gallon.

But you have free health care ;)

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health
care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

I use much more than that.

Gunner