Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TI- Heat treat?

Have some 0.030" 6Al-4V sheet I'd like to harden for my model boats, came
across this, does it sound right?:

If the material is plate or strip, then the solutionize temperature is
lowered to approximatly 1650F to 1675F. This is than followed by a water
quench. The aging procedure is by artificial means by precipitation
treatment at a temperature in the range of 900F to 1100F and a soak time at
temperature of between 4 to 8 hours (depending on cross sectional thickness)
It is critically important that the furnace hearth and walls be clean and
free from foreign matter such as scale from steel treatment. In fact, do not
use the furnace for process both steel and Ti alloys.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Keeley" tkee(no wrote in message
Have some 0.030" 6Al-4V sheet I'd like to harden for my model boats, came
across this, does it sound right?:

If the material is plate or strip, then the solutionize temperature is
lowered to approximatly 1650F to 1675F. This is than followed by a water
quench. The aging procedure is by artificial means by precipitation
treatment at a temperature in the range of 900F to 1100F and a soak time
at temperature of between 4 to 8 hours (depending on cross sectional
thickness) It is critically important that the furnace hearth and walls be
clean and free from foreign matter such as scale from steel treatment. In
fact, do not use the furnace for process both steel and Ti alloys.

The times and temperatures sound about right, but I know nothing about the
cleanliness issue. If someone doesn't have an answer for you, ask again, and
I'll look it up. I have the ASM book that covers the subject.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 8, 10:21 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
[...]

I don't know about the times and temperatures, but I know that work on
Ti alloys at elevated temperatures demand scrupulous cleanliness.
Most heat treating and welding of Ti alloys is done in inert
atmospheres. They sell a stainless steel heat treating wrap that is
used to prevent oxidation in the heat treating furnace. This might be
a good product to try. I see it listed in nearly every major tool
catalog.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the replys!

I have some of those SS bags for heat-treating but didn't have much luck
last time tried to use them, was concerned about the part cooling while I
opened the bag to get it to quench (at 1650F!).

Anyone got any tips? Do you put a match in with the part to "burn" the air
inside?

"woodworker88" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 8, 12:59 pm, "Terry Keeley" tkee(no wrote:
Thanks for the replys!

I have some of those SS bags for heat-treating but didn't have much luck
last time tried to use them, was concerned about the part cooling while I
opened the bag to get it to quench (at 1650F!).

Anyone got any tips? Do you put a match in with the part to "burn" the air
inside?

I think you just quench everything. When I have seen it used, a tool
that looks like a window-screen spline tool and a J-roller have been
used to smooth the SS around the part, basically eliminating all the
air. The goal is to effectively "plate" the part in stainless so that
there is no Ti exposed to the furnace. You definitely would not want
to put a match inside because the carbon from the flame would be bad.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Someone wanted a follow up to this so here you go...

I tried a small bit at the temps. given and it did harden it quite a bit, it
could still be filed (barely) but was noticeably stiffer. Problem is that
it warped the thin (0.030") sheet slightly, which isn't good for the
application.

Any idea how I can keep thin sheet flat during the process?

ps: Didn't use the SS bags, there was a layer of white oxide before the
quench and the finished part came out dull, but that's OK.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Keeley" tkee(no wrote in message
Someone wanted a follow up to this so here you go...

I tried a small bit at the temps. given and it did harden it quite a bit,
it could still be filed (barely) but was noticeably stiffer.

When you say "stiffer," do you mean it acts like a stiffer spring, or that
it has more resistance to permanent bending? Titanium has some strange
properties but you shouldn't notice any difference in springiness (there is
some, but it's too small to detect without careful measurement). However, it
will show more resistance to taking a permanent bend.

Problem is that it warped the thin (0.030") sheet slightly, which isn't
good for the application.

Any idea how I can keep thin sheet flat during the process?

That's always a problem when you quench thin sections of metal. There are
some methods. You might want to check with people who make custom knives.
They ought to know.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It resists bending a whole lot better, which is what I needed. Never
thought of the knife folks, would they use 6Al4V?

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

[...]

Should I heat treat ? Snag Metalworking 20 August 31st 07 08:57 PM
Looking for a heat treat oven Alex Metalworking 0 October 29th 05 06:00 PM
Heat Treat oil Material Bandit Metalworking 9 April 27th 05 10:57 PM
heat treat funace WKM Metalworking 4 March 25th 05 12:23 AM
heat treat head? [email protected] Metalworking 6 March 2nd 05 11:21 PM