Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Keeley Terry Keeley is offline

Default TI- Heat treat?

Have some 0.030" 6Al-4V sheet I'd like to harden for my model boats, came
across this, does it sound right?:

If the material is plate or strip, then the solutionize temperature is
lowered to approximatly 1650F to 1675F. This is than followed by a water
quench. The aging procedure is by artificial means by precipitation
treatment at a temperature in the range of 900F to 1100F and a soak time at
temperature of between 4 to 8 hours (depending on cross sectional thickness)
It is critically important that the furnace hearth and walls be clean and
free from foreign matter such as scale from steel treatment. In fact, do not
use the furnace for process both steel and Ti alloys.