Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel Slab weight

Can anyone tell me the weight of a steel slab that is 3/4" x 31.5" x 42" ?

Thanks,
Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Longyard" wrote in message
m...
Can anyone tell me the weight of a steel slab that is 3/4" x 31.5" x 42" ?

Thanks,
Bill

The density of most grades of steel averages around 0.283 pounds per cubic
inch, so your slab weighs about 992 lb.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 6, 12:34*am, "William Longyard"
wrote:
Can anyone tell me the weight of a steel slab that is 3/4" x 31.5" x 42" ?

Thanks,
Bill

A steel plate one foot square and one inch thick weighs 40 lbs, for
most practical purposes. Sometimes it's specified by that rule; your
piece is 30 Lb plate. It's a handy way to estimate the cost of a piece
in a scrapyard.

The exact density depends on alloy and carbon content.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I call it the "cannibalism of numbers" to help people remember---
It's when "two" ate "three"

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------------

Ed Huntress wrote:

"William Longyard" wrote in message
m...

Can anyone tell me the weight of a steel slab that is 3/4" x 31.5" x 42" ?

Thanks,
Bill

The density of most grades of steel averages around 0.283 pounds per cubic
inch, so your slab weighs about 992 lb.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What's the largest that will fit in a flat rate shipping box?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 6, 8:26 am, David Harmon wrote:
What's the largest that will fit in a flat rate shipping box?

USPS Flat rate boxes:

11" x 8.5" x 5.5" $8.95 domestic
13.625" x 11.875" x 3.375" $8.95 domestic

And the new size
12" x 12" x 5.5" $12.95

http://www.usps.com/shipping/flatrate.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:

I call it the "cannibalism of numbers" to help people remember---
It's when "two" ate "three"

I always think about an early chevy small block engine.

Wes

How to insulate corregated steel under a concrete slab??? Alex Home Repair 8 April 22nd 07 03:13 AM
Curtain weight Lawrence Zarb UK diy 7 June 24th 06 02:10 PM
weight? Bernard Arnest Metalworking 10 April 16th 06 11:26 PM
Weight of Glass per ft2? TEF Woodworking 17 March 27th 05 03:23 PM