TEF

Default Weight of Glass per ft2?

I am in the process of building a maple frame for a vanity mirror (with the
glass measuring approximately 38" x 50" x 3/16" thick). Since I've yet to
buy the glass (it will be cut to fit the finished frame size), I am
wondering just how heavy this whole affair will be. While I can guess the
weight of wood portion, I am wondering if there is a website where one can
find out the wieghts of various building materials.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:29:45 -0500, TEF wrote:
I am in the process of building a maple frame for a vanity mirror (with the
glass measuring approximately 38" x 50" x 3/16" thick). Since I've yet to
buy the glass (it will be cut to fit the finished frame size), I am
wondering just how heavy this whole affair will be. While I can guess the
weight of wood portion, I am wondering if there is a website where one can
find out the wieghts of various building materials.

According to "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J. Glover (a great toolbox
reference book by the way), window class has a specific gravity of 2.58,
and weighs 161 pounds per cubic foot. It doesn't list any other types
of glass but I can't see mirror glass being dramatically different than
window glass.

Dave Hinz

Rick

"TEF" wrote
I am in the process of building a maple frame for a vanity mirror (with

the
glass measuring approximately 38" x 50" x 3/16" thick). Since I've yet to
buy the glass (it will be cut to fit the finished frame size), I am
wondering just how heavy this whole affair will be.

According to "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J Glover (2nd edition; ISBN
1-885071-00-0):

Page 431 ... Glass, window -- 161 pounds per cubic foot

While I can guess the
weight of wood portion, I am wondering if there is a website where one can
find out the wieghts of various building materials.

Same book has a great deal of information regarding material properties,
electrical data, conversion tables ... pretty much the answer to about
30-40% of the questions posted on the wreck.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

you're welcome.

Regards,

Rick

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:58:30 GMT, Rick wrote:

"TEF" wrote
I am in the process of building a maple frame for a vanity mirror (with

the
glass measuring approximately 38" x 50" x 3/16" thick). Since I've yet to
buy the glass (it will be cut to fit the finished frame size), I am
wondering just how heavy this whole affair will be.

According to "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J Glover (2nd edition; ISBN
1-885071-00-0):

Page 431 ... Glass, window -- 161 pounds per cubic foot

Heh. I know what you were doing while I was doing the same thing
Lawrence L'Hote

"TEF" wrote in message
I am in the process of building a maple frame for a vanity mirror (with the
glass measuring approximately 38" x 50" x 3/16" thick). Since I've yet to
buy the glass (it will be cut to fit the finished frame size), I am
wondering just how heavy this whole affair will be. While I can guess the
weight of wood portion, I am wondering if there is a website where one can
find out the wieghts of various building materials.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm

I get about 35 lbs for a piece that size

Larry

Guess who

On 25 Mar 2005 20:55:47 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:29:45 -0500, TEF wrote:
I am in the process of building a maple frame for a vanity mirror (with the
glass measuring approximately 38" x 50" x 3/16" thick). Since I've yet to
buy the glass (it will be cut to fit the finished frame size), I am
wondering just how heavy this whole affair will be. While I can guess the
weight of wood portion, I am wondering if there is a website where one can
find out the wieghts of various building materials.

According to "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J. Glover (a great toolbox
reference book by the way), window class has a specific gravity of 2.58,
and weighs 161 pounds per cubic foot. It doesn't list any other types
of glass but I can't see mirror glass being dramatically different than
window glass.

That puts his at about 33lb.

Roy Smith

In article , TEF wrote:
I am in the process of building a maple frame for a vanity mirror (with the
glass measuring approximately 38" x 50" x 3/16" thick). Since I've yet to
buy the glass (it will be cut to fit the finished frame size), I am
wondering just how heavy this whole affair will be. While I can guess the
weight of wood portion, I am wondering if there is a website where one can
find out the wieghts of various building materials.

Did you try google? I googled for "glass density" and found several
useful references. Short answer, 2200 to 7200 kg/m^3, depending on
the exact type of glass.
Bill Thomas

Rick wrote:

"TEF" wrote

[...]

Greetings,

What size of print does this book have? I start to loose interest
when the font size drops below 10 pts and loose complete interest
below 8 pts.

From Amazon:
Product Details

* Paperback: 768 pages
* Publisher: Sequoia Publishing Inc; 3rd edition (May 1, 2002)
* ISBN: 1885071337
* Product Dimensions: 5.4 x 4.2 x 1.0 inches
* Shipping Weight: 6.9 ounces. (View shipping rates and policies)
* Average Customer Review: based on 35 reviews. (Write a review)
* Amazon.com Sales Rank: #3,658 in Books
(Publishers and authors: improve your sales)

Sincerely,
Bill Thomas
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill Thomas" wrote in message
According to "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J Glover (2nd edition; ISBN
1-885071-00-0):

Page 431 ... Glass, window -- 161 pounds per cubic foot

What size of print does this book have? I start to loose interest
when the font size drops below 10 pts and loose complete interest
below 8 pts.

From Amazon:
Product Details

* Paperback: 768 pages
* Publisher: Sequoia Publishing Inc; 3rd edition (May 1, 2002)
* ISBN: 1885071337
* Product Dimensions: 5.4 x 4.2 x 1.0 inches

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...096,46109&ap=1

Much of it is 8 point or less. While it is small to sit and read, there is
a lot of good reference material crammed into a small space. Type size is
tolerable for a quick lookup of a pipe size or airport code, electric motor
frame sizes, or many other varied subject. Mine is always within reach of
my desk at home.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:26:59 GMT, Bill Thomas wrote:
Rick wrote:

According to "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J Glover (2nd edition; ISBN
1-885071-00-0):

What size of print does this book have? I start to loose interest
when the font size drops below 10 pts and loose complete interest
below 8 pts.

29 (proportional) characters in an inch where I just measured.
Smaller than 8-point, definately. But it's a clear font, should
magnify well if needed.

I've seen these at checkout counters in better hardware stores.
Maybe one of your local places has them, you could look it over.
I use mine regularly, and have one at work and two at home.

Dave Hinz

J. Clarke

Bill Thomas wrote:

Rick wrote:

"TEF" wrote

[...]

It's not the kind of book you read cover to cover. It's like the CRC
Handbook or Machinery's Handbook--you look up the information you need when
you need it. Point size doesn't matter for that kind of book. My Oxford
English Dictionary has text in a point size so small that they provide a
magnifier with the dictionary--it's not an obstacle to its use as a
dictionary.

From Amazon:
Product Details

* Paperback: 768 pages
* Publisher: Sequoia Publishing Inc; 3rd edition (May 1, 2002)
* ISBN: 1885071337
* Product Dimensions: 5.4 x 4.2 x 1.0 inches
* Shipping Weight: 6.9 ounces. (View shipping rates and policies)
* Average Customer Review: based on 35 reviews. (Write a review)
* Amazon.com Sales Rank: #3,658 in Books
(Publishers and authors: improve your sales)

Sincerely,
Bill Thomas

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
John

I want to say that the pocket ref is also available in a desktop (ie,
larger with bigger fonts) edition

John

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:38:18 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Bill Thomas" wrote in message
According to "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J Glover (2nd edition; ISBN
1-885071-00-0):

Page 431 ... Glass, window -- 161 pounds per cubic foot

What size of print does this book have? I start to loose interest
when the font size drops below 10 pts and loose complete interest
below 8 pts.

From Amazon:
Product Details

* Paperback: 768 pages
* Publisher: Sequoia Publishing Inc; 3rd edition (May 1, 2002)
* ISBN: 1885071337
* Product Dimensions: 5.4 x 4.2 x 1.0 inches

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...096,46109&ap=1

Much of it is 8 point or less. While it is small to sit and read, there is
a lot of good reference material crammed into a small space. Type size is
tolerable for a quick lookup of a pipe size or airport code, electric motor
frame sizes, or many other varied subject. Mine is always within reach of
my desk at home.

Rick

"Bill Thomas" wrote in message
news
Rick wrote:

"TEF" wrote

[...]

From Amazon:
Product Details

* Paperback: 768 pages
* Publisher: Sequoia Publishing Inc; 3rd edition (May 1, 2002)
* ISBN: 1885071337
* Product Dimensions: 5.4 x 4.2 x 1.0 inches
* Shipping Weight: 6.9 ounces. (View shipping rates and policies)
* Average Customer Review: based on 35 reviews. (Write a review)
* Amazon.com Sales Rank: #3,658 in Books
(Publishers and authors: improve your sales)

Sincerely,
Bill Thomas

about 5.7 points or 2 mm

Rick

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:26:59 GMT, the inscrutable Bill Thomas
spake:

Rick wrote:

"TEF" wrote

I am in the process of building a maple frame for a vanity mirror (with

the

glass measuring approximately 38" x 50" x 3/16" thick). Since I've yet to
buy the glass (it will be cut to fit the finished frame size), I am
wondering just how heavy this whole affair will be.

Looks like 33.19 lbs for the mirror portion, huh?

According to "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J Glover (2nd edition; ISBN
1-885071-00-0):

What size of print does this book have? I start to loose interest
when the font size drops below 10 pts and loose complete interest
below 8 pts.

Teensy. GET NEW GLASSES, silly!

Lee Valley puts out a handyman's version of that book (with the same
teeny print, of course) called "Handyman In-Your-Pocket" which is
great; chock full of fun.

TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications
==========================
charlie b

According to "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J. Glover (a great toolbox
reference book by the way), window class has a specific gravity of 2.58,
and weighs 161 pounds per cubic foot. It doesn't list any other types
of glass but I can't see mirror glass being dramatically different than
window glass.

Dave Hinz

so 3/16ths thick would be about 2 1/2 pounds per square foot.

charlie b

John

Nope, it is 2.5156pounds for 3/16 x 12 x 12 at 161pound per cubic foot

John

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:35:29 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

I came up with 1.54 lbs for 3/16" x 12" x 12" if it is 161 #/CF.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"charlie b" wrote in message
According to "Pocket Ref" by Thomas J. Glover (a great toolbox
reference book by the way), window class has a specific gravity
of 2.58,
and weighs 161 pounds per cubic foot. It doesn't list any
other types
of glass but I can't see mirror glass being dramatically
different than
window glass.

Dave Hinz

so 3/16ths thick would be about 2 1/2 pounds per square foot.

charlie b

Guess who

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:39:25 -0600, John wrote:

That's correct. [Top posted, so you'll have to look below for the
reference :-)]

It's the 3/16 fraction of an inch, being 1/12 fraction of a foot, the
top being a square foot. ....161 x (3/16) /12.

Nope, it is 2.5156pounds for 3/16 x 12 x 12 at 161pound per cubic foot

John

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:35:29 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

I came up with 1.54 lbs for 3/16" x 12" x 12" if it is 161 #/CF.

LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
Glueing Glass xavier UK diy 17 November 16th 04 05:29 PM
Figuring loads / block & tackle theory The Other Harry Home Repair 152 March 20th 04 07:55 PM
Cutting window glass Charles H. Buchholtz Home Repair 9 November 14th 03 02:13 AM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM