DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Steel Slab weight (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/242159-steel-slab-weight.html)

William Longyard April 6th 08 05:34 AM

Steel Slab weight

Can anyone tell me the weight of a steel slab that is 3/4" x 31.5" x 42" ?

Thanks,
Bill

Ed Huntress April 6th 08 05:56 AM

Steel Slab weight

"William Longyard" wrote in message
m...
Can anyone tell me the weight of a steel slab that is 3/4" x 31.5" x 42" ?

Thanks,
Bill

The density of most grades of steel averages around 0.283 pounds per cubic
inch, so your slab weighs about 992 lb.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins April 6th 08 12:55 PM

Steel Slab weight

On Apr 6, 12:34*am, "William Longyard"
wrote:
Can anyone tell me the weight of a steel slab that is 3/4" x 31.5" x 42" ?

Thanks,
Bill

A steel plate one foot square and one inch thick weighs 40 lbs, for
most practical purposes. Sometimes it's specified by that rule; your
piece is 30 Lb plate. It's a handy way to estimate the cost of a piece
in a scrapyard.

The exact density depends on alloy and carbon content.

Jim Wilkins

spaco April 6th 08 05:21 PM

Steel Slab weight

I call it the "cannibalism of numbers" to help people remember---
It's when "two" ate "three"

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------------

David Harmon April 6th 08 05:26 PM

Steel Slab weight

What's the largest that will fit in a flat rate shipping box?

Mechanical Magic April 6th 08 05:35 PM

Steel Slab weight

On Apr 6, 8:26 am, David Harmon wrote:
What's the largest that will fit in a flat rate shipping box?

USPS Flat rate boxes:

11" x 8.5" x 5.5" $8.95 domestic
13.625" x 11.875" x 3.375" $8.95 domestic

And the new size
12" x 12" x 5.5" $12.95

http://www.usps.com/shipping/flatrate.htm

Wes[_2_] April 7th 08 01:29 PM

Steel Slab weight

spaco wrote:

I call it the "cannibalism of numbers" to help people remember---
It's when "two" ate "three"

I always think about an early chevy small block engine.

Wes