Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HVLP spray nozzles getting clogged up

Hey Guys

I had a mnor issue with an HVLP gun where i think i set the paint in
it to be too thick and as such i clogged up 3 of the 8 little nozzles
on the gun the tiny litttle ones near the central nozzle of an hvlp

How on earth do i get those cleaned or what is thin enough to get in
there? the holes are absolutely tiny sloshing the nozzle in laquesr
thinner didnt help me any nor did burying it in mineral spirits

Any ideas?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brent wrote:

Hey Guys

I had a mnor issue with an HVLP gun where i think i set the paint in
it to be too thick and as such i clogged up 3 of the 8 little nozzles
on the gun the tiny litttle ones near the central nozzle of an hvlp

How on earth do i get those cleaned or what is thin enough to get in
there? the holes are absolutely tiny sloshing the nozzle in laquesr
thinner didnt help me any nor did burying it in mineral spirits

Any ideas?

Lots of solvent and...

Tiny wire file from a welding torch cleaning kit.

Or a resistor lead...

Just need something to break it loose and flush it out.

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brent wrote:
Hey Guys

I had a mnor issue with an HVLP gun where i think i set the paint in
it to be too thick and as such i clogged up 3 of the 8 little nozzles
on the gun the tiny litttle ones near the central nozzle of an hvlp

How on earth do i get those cleaned or what is thin enough to get in
there? the holes are absolutely tiny sloshing the nozzle in laquesr
thinner didnt help me any nor did burying it in mineral spirits

Any ideas?

Time to spring six bucks or so for a set of drill bits, sizes 61 to
80. Get a couple cheap pin vises while you are ordering stuff.

Most of the usual suspects carry these sets.

A little carefull work with a drill bit smaller than the holes, and
work your way up to the drill bit that "just" fits the hole, and they
will still be round and clean.

The solvent to use is variable, depending on the paint. Using the
wrong stuff can turn some paints into mung that is similar to warm
chewing gum, and tough to clean out.

Paint stripper can be handy, too. Get the good stuff. If it won't burn
skin on contact, it isn't the good stuff!

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:33:26 -0700 (PDT), with neither quill nor
qualm, Brent quickly quoth:

Hey Guys

I had a mnor issue with an HVLP gun where i think i set the paint in
it to be too thick and as such i clogged up 3 of the 8 little nozzles
on the gun the tiny litttle ones near the central nozzle of an hvlp

Isn't that fun? We'll hope it wasn't a 2-part epoxy paint.

How on earth do i get those cleaned or what is thin enough to get in
there? the holes are absolutely tiny sloshing the nozzle in laquesr
thinner didnt help me any nor did burying it in mineral spirits

Try soaking the parts overnight in lacquer thinner and blowing them
out the next morning. If that doesn't work, try carb dip. Use the real
stuff (like Berryman's B-9 Chem Dip) if you can possibly find it
(illegal in CA), which contains methylene chloride and cresols. Dip
for 15-20 minutes (half an hour, maximum), rinse thoroughly, blow dry.

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:35:03 GMT, Trevor Jones
wrote:

Brent wrote:
[...]

Don't know about this case, but for rattle can nozzles, I just let
them sit in brake fluid for a couple days then blow them out with 100
PSI air.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada