Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Carbon fiber can so break!

Americas Cub 1995
Australia One

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/media/08/0310/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:
Americas Cub 1995
Australia One

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/media/08/0310/

Now that gives cause to ponder, aircraft thought to be light and
unbreakable, Boeing comes to mind?????

George
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Americas Cub 1995
Australia One

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/media/08/0310/

Now that gives cause to ponder, aircraft thought to be light and
unbreakable, Boeing comes to mind?????

George

Lot's of people think that.
Aircraft are unbreakable only when opperated within prescribed limits.
Beyond that the are guar-on-teed to bust.

America's Cup racers have to be as light as possible for performance.
Looks like this one was just a bit TOO light.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-13, cavelamb himself wrote:
Americas Cub 1995
Australia One

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/media/08/0310/

So, there is such a thing as a boat designed to be too light.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carbon fiber structures are very strong for their weight but are not
noted for graceful failure modes.

cavelamb himself wrote:
Americas Cub 1995
Australia One

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/media/08/0310/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
George wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Americas Cub 1995
Australia One

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/media/08/0310/

Now that gives cause to ponder, aircraft thought to be light and
unbreakable, Boeing comes to mind?????

George

Lot's of people think that.
Aircraft are unbreakable only when opperated within prescribed limits.
Beyond that the are guar-on-teed to bust.

America's Cup racers have to be as light as possible for performance.
Looks like this one was just a bit TOO light.

Richard

Yeah. And we tend to overestimate how strong carbon fiber is. On the
average, it's only 10% or so stronger than S-fiberglass. Its big advantage
over other composites is its stiffness, not its strength.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Americas Cub 1995
Australia One

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/media/08/0310/

Now that gives cause to ponder, aircraft thought to be light and
unbreakable, Boeing comes to mind?????

George

Lot's of people think that.
Aircraft are unbreakable only when opperated within prescribed
limits.
Beyond that the are guar-on-teed to bust.

America's Cup racers have to be as light as possible for performance.
Looks like this one was just a bit TOO light.

Richard

Yeah. And we tend to overestimate how strong carbon fiber is. On the
average, it's only 10% or so stronger than S-fiberglass. Its big
advantage over other composites is its stiffness, not its strength.

--
Ed Huntress

Yeah. Check page 51 on this document.
http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2004/AAR0404.pdf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 13, 7:17 am, Ignoramus17007 ignoramus17...@NOSPAM.
On 2008-03-13, cavelamb himself wrote:

Americas Cub 1995
Australia One

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/media/08/0310/

So, there is such a thing as a boat designed to be too light.

I think the hull of those boats gets changed fairly often (every few
years) trying to get better hydrodynamics. when you look at things
that way durability is a low priority if its only needing to stand up
to one or two seasons and wear and tear wont really be a factor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-13, cavelamb himself wrote:

Americas Cub 1995
Australia One

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/media/08/0310/

So, there is such a thing as a boat designed to be too light.

I think the hull of those boats gets changed fairly often (every few
years) trying to get better hydrodynamics. when you look at things
that way durability is a low priority if its only needing to stand up
to one or two seasons and wear and tear wont really be a factor

ac boats are designed to practically fall apart at the end of the last race
about 10' over the finish line. if not, then it was designed too strong and
heavy (read: slower).

long term durability is not one of the design constraints.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

et...

George wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

[...]

Ha! I had to look at that wreck for over a year. After they pulled it out of
Jamaica Bay they hauled the wreckage to a lot behind my office in Harrison,
NJ and just left it there after the inspection. Eventually it was taken out
to somewhere.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Watch formula one auto racing- when there's a shunt , there's CF shards
thrown all over hell and gone. Why they don't require a kevlar wrap to
contain the crap is beyond me though I suspect that the shedding of parts is
their way of shedding energy at the same time. BTW the f-1 season starts
this week. Despite the past several seasons being about as exciting as
watching kudzu grow, I'm still watching...sigh. Pat

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"patrick mitchel" wrote in message
Watch formula one auto racing- when there's a shunt , there's CF shards
thrown all over hell and gone. Why they don't require a kevlar wrap to
contain the crap is beyond me though I suspect that the shedding of parts
is their way of shedding energy at the same time. BTW the f-1 season
starts this week. Despite the past several seasons being about as exciting
as watching kudzu grow, I'm still watching...sigh. Pat

I thought they *did* require a Kevlar wrap. They did in IRL, when I was
writing about it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

patrick mitchel wrote:

Watch formula one auto racing- when there's a shunt , there's CF shards
thrown all over hell and gone. Why they don't require a kevlar wrap to
contain the crap is beyond me though I suspect that the shedding of parts is
their way of shedding energy at the same time. BTW the f-1 season starts
this week. Despite the past several seasons being about as exciting as
watching kudzu grow, I'm still watching...sigh. Pat

Yep I just read the e-mail from F1 Hooray! something on TV to watch,
only problem is the hours which are a little inconvenient. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

patrick mitchel wrote:
Watch formula one auto racing- when there's a shunt , there's CF shards
thrown all over hell and gone. Why they don't require a kevlar wrap to
contain the crap is beyond me though I suspect that the shedding of parts is
their way of shedding energy at the same time. BTW the f-1 season starts
this week. Despite the past several seasons being about as exciting as
watching kudzu grow, I'm still watching...sigh. Pat

Pat, if last season wasn't exciting enough for you, you may need to seek
medical attention. I can't wait for Hamilton to kick Alonzo's butt well
and truly this year.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rex" wrote in message
patrick mitchel wrote:
Watch formula one auto racing- when there's a shunt , there's CF shards
thrown all over hell and gone. Why they don't require a kevlar wrap to
contain the crap is beyond me though I suspect that the shedding of parts
is their way of shedding energy at the same time. BTW the f-1 season
starts this week. Despite the past several seasons being about as
exciting as watching kudzu grow, I'm still watching...sigh. Pat

Pat, if last season wasn't exciting enough for you, you may need to seek
medical attention. I can't wait for Hamilton to kick Alonzo's butt well
and truly this year.

Yeah, BUT with the antics of alonso in the pits keeping hamilton away and
the espionage accusations being thrown about, I wanted to throw a brick
through the tv. That and the fact I lost my cable connect for the last 3
races of the season....sigh. I suppose I'm showing my age when I mention
that I liked f1 when they had the turbos, aspirated, v6-8-10-12 engines all
competing. sigh... Pat

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rex" wrote in message
patrick mitchel wrote:
[...]

Age? That ain't no steenking age. I watched Jimmy Clark race at the Glen.
And Hill -- and I'll talking about Graham. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

coopers, brm's, eagles,loti yeah , that's my cupof tea. The best looking
f1 car- either the clark/ lotus or gurney/eagle Pat

It's hard for me to get excited about the F1 cars after the wings came in.
When the turbos took over, I quit caring.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rex wrote:

patrick mitchel wrote:

Watch formula one auto racing- when there's a shunt , there's CF
shards thrown all over hell and gone. Why they don't require a kevlar
wrap to contain the crap is beyond me though I suspect that the
shedding of parts is their way of shedding energy at the same time.
BTW the f-1 season starts this week. Despite the past several seasons
being about as exciting as watching kudzu grow, I'm still
watching...sigh. Pat

Pat, if last season wasn't exciting enough for you, you may need to seek
medical attention. I can't wait for Hamilton to kick Alonzo's butt well
and truly this year.

But wasent it nice to see Kimi win? I don't like to see a "freshman"
win the championship, it inflates their ego too much. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

patrick mitchel wrote:

"Rex" wrote in message

patrick mitchel wrote:

[...]

I liked it better when the driver sat up-right too. 1958 USA GP in
Sebring Fla. Phill Hill in a BLUE Ferari along with Von Tripps
etc.
Anyone want to see the pix ? I put them on the computer back a
while ago.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Age? That ain't no steenking age. I watched Jimmy Clark race at the Glen.
And Hill -- and I'll talking about Graham. d8-)

Ed Huntress

Jimmy Clark, that was a little later. :-) But he was good.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:13:23 -0600, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

Age? That ain't no steenking age. I watched Jimmy Clark race at the Glen.
And Hill -- and I'll talking about Graham. d8-)

Ed Huntress

Jimmy Clark, that was a little later. :-) But he was good.
...lew...

Back in the days when "common folks" could afford to go racing.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

Age? That ain't no steenking age. I watched Jimmy Clark race at the Glen.
And Hill -- and I'll talking about Graham. d8-)

Ed Huntress

Jimmy Clark, that was a little later. :-) But he was good.
...lew...

Back in the days when "common folks" could afford to go racing.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

We are racing Sunday afternoon.

Well, Sailboat Racing.

The slowest form of transportation ever devised bu man.

But we racin!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Americas Cub 1995
Australia One

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/media/08/0310/

Now that gives cause to ponder, aircraft thought to be light and
unbreakable, Boeing comes to mind?????

George

Lot's of people think that.
Aircraft are unbreakable only when opperated within prescribed limits.
Beyond that the are guar-on-teed to bust.

America's Cup racers have to be as light as possible for performance.
Looks like this one was just a bit TOO light.

Richard

Yeah. And we tend to overestimate how strong carbon fiber is. On the
average, it's only 10% or so stronger than S-fiberglass. Its big advantage
over other composites is its stiffness, not its strength.

--
Ed Huntress

I think the problem was related to the team losing their designer a few
years earlier, the guy was a genius.

http://www.americascup.com/en/acclop...idContent=4536

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 14, 5:11 am, Lew Hartswick wrote:
patrick mitchel wrote:
"Rex" wrote in message

patrick mitchel wrote:

[...]

I'd like to see them.
Thanks
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

"Rex" wrote in message
patrick mitchel wrote:
[...]

Wings are still there, but turbos are out, along with (this year)
traction control and engine braking.

4-wheel powerslides are back!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Rex wrote:

patrick mitchel wrote:

Watch formula one auto racing- when there's a shunt , there's CF
shards thrown all over hell and gone. Why they don't require a kevlar
wrap to contain the crap is beyond me though I suspect that the
shedding of parts is their way of shedding energy at the same time.
BTW the f-1 season starts this week. Despite the past several seasons
being about as exciting as watching kudzu grow, I'm still
watching...sigh. Pat

Pat, if last season wasn't exciting enough for you, you may need to
seek medical attention. I can't wait for Hamilton to kick Alonzo's
butt well and truly this year.

But wasent it nice to see Kimi win? I don't like to see a "freshman"
win the championship, it inflates their ego too much. :-)

Ah yes, Mr. Excitement. In a red car. yawn.

Hamilton is the best thing to happen to F1 since Senna. He deserved the
championship, but the FIA penalty would n't let it happen anyway.

New this year - Nelson Piquet's kid joins Rosberg's boy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
Age? That ain't no steenking age. I watched Jimmy Clark race at the Glen.
And Hill -- and I'll talking about Graham. d8-)

Ed Huntress

Jimmy Clark, that was a little later. :-) But he was good.
...lew...

Back in the days when "common folks" could afford to go racing.

I raced Saturday and Sunday, 1.7 mile road course.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

patrick mitchel wrote:
"Rex" wrote in message
patrick mitchel wrote:
[...]

Me too!! Post them on a photo sharing site, perhaps?

Carbon fiber fabric for heat shield? Louis Ohland Metalworking 14 September 30th 07 05:31 AM
Fiber insulation Tazz Home Repair 5 February 11th 07 11:51 PM
concrete with fiber plug Home Repair 14 May 2nd 06 04:31 PM
Fiber washers: What's their purpose? Doug Kanter Home Repair 7 February 22nd 06 08:46 PM