Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default Fiber washers: What's their purpose?

While rummaging through the washer assortment at the hardware store, a
question was raised which I've never asked (and the owner of the store was
busy). What are fiber washers for? In 20+ years of doing small plumbing
repairs, I've never seen one in use. I'm asking because I have a massive
leak in my shower, due (apparently) to a worn valve seat that chews up
rubber washers in about a week. While I'm mulling over whether to go for a
nice, new single handle setup, would a fiber washer be tougher, and maybe
give me two weeks of use, instead of one?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chub

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
While rummaging through the washer assortment at the hardware store, a
question was raised which I've never asked (and the owner of the store was
busy). What are fiber washers for? In 20+ years of doing small plumbing
repairs, I've never seen one in use. I'm asking because I have a massive
leak in my shower, due (apparently) to a worn valve seat that chews up
rubber washers in about a week. While I'm mulling over whether to go for a
nice, new single handle setup, would a fiber washer be tougher, and maybe
give me two weeks of use, instead of one?

why not grind the seat smooth again?

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Or just replace the seat altogether? Save the water. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Chub" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
While rummaging through the washer assortment at the hardware store, a
question was raised which I've never asked (and the owner of the store
was busy). What are fiber washers for? In 20+ years of doing small
plumbing repairs, I've never seen one in use. I'm asking because I have a
massive leak in my shower, due (apparently) to a worn valve seat that
chews up rubber washers in about a week. While I'm mulling over whether
to go for a nice, new single handle setup, would a fiber washer be
tougher, and maybe give me two weeks of use, instead of one?

why not grind the seat smooth again?

That's the next thing I'm trying (in about 5 minutes).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Or just replace the seat altogether? Save the water. Tom

Where the removal tool needs to grip the seat, those surfaces are completely
stripped. Looks like my predecessor tried to use a screwdriver or something.
It's a disaster. In another thread, someone recommended something that looks
like a tapping tool, in reverse, but if I keep throwing money at this, and
it approaches maybe half the price of a nice, new Moen single-handle faucet,
I'll probably just say "enough is enough".

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Doug wrote: Where the removal tool needs to grip the seat, those
surfaces are completely
stripped.snip

The stripped seat extractor
works like a charm, better than the grinder, IMO. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Bubba " ReMoVe wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:05:00 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Chub" wrote in message
.. .

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
While rummaging through the washer assortment at the hardware store, a
question was raised which I've never asked (and the owner of the store
was busy). What are fiber washers for? In 20+ years of doing small
plumbing repairs, I've never seen one in use. I'm asking because I have
massive leak in my shower, due (apparently) to a worn valve seat that
chews up rubber washers in about a week. While I'm mulling over whether
to go for a nice, new single handle setup, would a fiber washer be
tougher, and maybe give me two weeks of use, instead of one?

why not grind the seat smooth again?

That's the next thing I'm trying (in about 5 minutes).

I cant imagine anyone dumb enough that they would change their faucet
washers every week or two? No one has that much available time that
they could waste on something so menial. Thats just freakin stupid
Bubba

For someone like you, who's unemployed and just sittin' around the
double-wide watching Jerry Springer and trying to find his dick under the
blubber, there's plenty of time to putter. This washer takes about two
minutes to change, and I haven't had time to take on the bigger work of
dealing with the cause, or replacing the whole thing. But, I'll be sure to
get to it ASAP, and let you know how it goes so you can get back to shagging
your mom/sister or whatever you call her.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:52:20 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

While rummaging through the washer assortment at the hardware store, a
question was raised which I've never asked (and the owner of the store was
busy). What are fiber washers for? In 20+ years of doing small plumbing
repairs, I've never seen one in use. I'm asking because I have a massive
leak in my shower, due (apparently) to a worn valve seat that chews up
rubber washers in about a week. While I'm mulling over whether to go for a
nice, new single handle setup, would a fiber washer be tougher, and maybe
give me two weeks of use, instead of one?

If you haven't found that steel blade refinisher, or it didn't work,
maybe you could try a small conical or bigger spherical grindstone to
smooth out the seat. Just be careful to hold the drill straight and
in the same place all the time.

(I thought fiber washers were there to wash the fiber.)

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.