Posted to alt.home.repair
Chub

Default Fiber washers: What's their purpose?

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
While rummaging through the washer assortment at the hardware store, a
question was raised which I've never asked (and the owner of the store was
busy). What are fiber washers for? In 20+ years of doing small plumbing
repairs, I've never seen one in use. I'm asking because I have a massive
leak in my shower, due (apparently) to a worn valve seat that chews up
rubber washers in about a week. While I'm mulling over whether to go for a
nice, new single handle setup, would a fiber washer be tougher, and maybe
give me two weeks of use, instead of one?

why not grind the seat smooth again?