Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Johnson John Johnson is offline

Default Carbon fiber can so break!

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
George wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Americas Cub 1995
Australia One

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/media/08/0310/

Now that gives cause to ponder, aircraft thought to be light and
unbreakable, Boeing comes to mind?????

George

Lot's of people think that.
Aircraft are unbreakable only when opperated within prescribed limits.
Beyond that the are guar-on-teed to bust.

America's Cup racers have to be as light as possible for performance.
Looks like this one was just a bit TOO light.

Richard

Yeah. And we tend to overestimate how strong carbon fiber is. On the
average, it's only 10% or so stronger than S-fiberglass. Its big advantage
over other composites is its stiffness, not its strength.

--
Ed Huntress

I think the problem was related to the team losing their designer a few
years earlier, the guy was a genius.

http://www.americascup.com/en/acclop...idContent=4536