Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What did you do with an arbor press?

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 12:07:27 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

I crack black walnuts in my big-mutha bench vise. They are amazingly
tough; I'm amazed that the squirrels can chop through the shells.

Try picking a squirrel up sometime. HSS has nothing on their
chompers ;-)

My Dad use to whack them with a small hammer. Had a block of wood with
plastic skirt attached around the perimeter. Did this in the kitchen,
drove my Mom crazy. Glad I was away at work...

What did he do with the fur and blood and stuff?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I crack black walnuts in my big-mutha bench vise. They are amazingly
tough; I'm amazed that the squirrels can chop through the shells.

Try picking a squirrel up sometime. HSS has nothing on their
chompers ;-)

My Dad use to whack them with a small hammer. Had a block of wood with
plastic skirt attached around the perimeter. Did this in the kitchen,
drove my Mom crazy. Glad I was away at work...

What did he do with the fur and blood and stuff?

2 points to you. You beat me.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full
description of a happy state in this world.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I crack black walnuts in my big-mutha bench vise. They are amazingly
tough; I'm amazed that the squirrels can chop through the shells.

Try picking a squirrel up sometime. HSS has nothing on their
chompers ;-)

My Dad use to whack them with a small hammer. Had a block of wood with
plastic skirt attached around the perimeter. Did this in the kitchen,
drove my Mom crazy. Glad I was away at work...

What did he do with the fur and blood and stuff?

2 points to you. You beat me.

(Grin!!)

The mental picture of Dad sitting at the kitchen table.. wacking them
with a small hammer and Mom cringing with each blow as she was baking
cookies... etc etc...got me laughing so hard the dogs came running....

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I crack black walnuts in my big-mutha bench vise. They are amazingly
tough; I'm amazed that the squirrels can chop through the shells.

Try picking a squirrel up sometime. HSS has nothing on their
chompers ;-)

My Dad use to whack them with a small hammer. Had a block of wood with
plastic skirt attached around the perimeter. Did this in the kitchen,
drove my Mom crazy. Glad I was away at work...

What did he do with the fur and blood and stuff?

2 points to you. You beat me.

(Grin!!)

The mental picture of Dad sitting at the kitchen table.. wacking them
with a small hammer and Mom cringing with each blow as she was baking
cookies... etc etc...got me laughing so hard the dogs came running....

LOL. I can picture both events, my friend.
How the hell are ya? Ping me elsewhere sometime.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full
description of a happy state in this world.
--John Locke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I crack black walnuts in my big-mutha bench vise. They are amazingly
tough; I'm amazed that the squirrels can chop through the shells.

Try picking a squirrel up sometime. HSS has nothing on their
chompers ;-)

My Dad use to whack them with a small hammer. Had a block of wood with
plastic skirt attached around the perimeter. Did this in the kitchen,
drove my Mom crazy. Glad I was away at work...

What did he do with the fur and blood and stuff?

2 points to you. You beat me.

(Grin!!)

The mental picture of Dad sitting at the kitchen table.. wacking them
with a small hammer and Mom cringing with each blow as she was baking
cookies... etc etc...got me laughing so hard the dogs came running....

LOL. I can picture both events, my friend.
How the hell are ya? Ping me elsewhere sometime.

Will do. I was gone for the past 2 weeks on a couple jobs. So I didnt
come home until I was at a point that I could. I was just about out
of clothes as well.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What can you do with an arbor press?

On 2018-03-15, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:42:21 -0400, Boris Mohar
wrote:

[ ... ]

This year was especially abundant for Black Walnuts. I crack them in a vise
but after one hour or more soak in water shells crack much easier. Flush cut
wire cutters work great for getting to the meat.

https://imgur.com/a/BCeNt

[ ... ]

So you just husk them and soak the walnuts for an hour? And the
"flush-cur" wire cutters are what, diagonal cutters?

Start with diagonal cutters, but grind off the outside surface
so there is no bevel -- the edge comes flush with the surface, so you
can get very close to a surface, such as a printed circuit board while
snipping off wires soldered through the board.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19 Mar 2018 00:51:13 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2018-03-15, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:42:21 -0400, Boris Mohar
wrote:

[ ... ]

This year was especially abundant for Black Walnuts. I crack them in a vise
but after one hour or more soak in water shells crack much easier. Flush cut
wire cutters work great for getting to the meat.

https://imgur.com/a/BCeNt

[ ... ]

So you just husk them and soak the walnuts for an hour? And the
"flush-cur" wire cutters are what, diagonal cutters?

Start with diagonal cutters, but grind off the outside surface
so there is no bevel -- the edge comes flush with the surface, so you
can get very close to a surface, such as a printed circuit board while
snipping off wires soldered through the board.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Aha. I have a really small pair of dikes that I use for that job --
they have almost no bevel on the outside endge -- but I'll keep it in
mind if I gather enough black walnuts.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 3, 2008 at 2:03:15 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus32544 wrote:
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

The obvious answer is "press arbors."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/14/2018 12:07 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
Try picking a squirrel up sometime. HSS has nothing on their
chompers ;-)

My Dad use to whack them with a small hammer. ...

Your dad used to whack squirrels with a hammer? (Sorry, I couldn't
resist. G)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 09:47:38 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 3/14/2018 12:07 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
Try picking a squirrel up sometime. HSS has nothing on their
chompers ;-)

My Dad use to whack them with a small hammer. ...

Your dad used to whack squirrels with a hammer? (Sorry, I couldn't
resist. G)

I just dug up SEVENTY oak trees yesterday from my garden. I'd like to
know his technique, if you please, Bob. Acorns don't bury themselves
several inches deep.

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 07:05:45 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
I just dug up SEVENTY oak trees yesterday from my garden. I'd like to
know his technique, if you please, Bob. Acorns don't bury themselves
several inches deep.

Birds stash them like that too...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 13:30:39 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 07:05:45 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
I just dug up SEVENTY oak trees yesterday from my garden. I'd like to
know his technique, if you please, Bob. Acorns don't bury themselves
several inches deep.

Birds stash them like that too...

Neighbour across the street has a horse chessnut tree in the back
yard. every October I sit on my front porch and watch the proccession
along the top of his fence, across the lawn, up his street side maple
and down mine then across my lawn and down my driveway to expand the
orchard throughout the neighbourhood. Most of the hulls are removed at
the base of either of the maples. I have one of the trees about ten
feet tall in my back yard where I transplanted it several years ago to
replace a flowering crab apple tree that produced inedible apples
about a half inch in diameter. At least the sqirrels get some benefit
from the horse chessnuts and the hulls are no worse to clean up than
the damned little hard apples.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 3/14/2018 12:07 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
Try picking a squirrel up sometime. HSS has nothing on their
chompers ;-)

My Dad use to whack them with a small hammer. ...

Your dad used to whack squirrels with a hammer? (Sorry, I couldn't
resist. G)

My brother and I got three swamp rabbits with a ball pein one night.
About every tenth rabbit we hit with a spotlight would run at an angle
toward us, then change by 90 deg or so, back and forth, until they
ended up at our feet. Whap, dead rabbit. The rest ran other
directions and escaped.

Man, I could go for some rabbit. Good eating.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 07:31:23 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

My brother and I got three swamp rabbits with a ball pein one night.
About every tenth rabbit we hit with a spotlight would run at an angle
toward us, then change by 90 deg or so, back and forth, until they
ended up at our feet. Whap, dead rabbit. The rest ran other
directions and escaped.

Man, I could go for some rabbit. Good eating.

Yep, but the rabbits up here in the mountains are so parasite-infected
that I'd not want to touch one, much less skin one out.

Squirrels are our sworn enemy. They ate into our soffet, got into the
attic wiring and cost us a fortune. They eat into Bride's bird
feeders. Not just eating the feed but chewing new holes in the
feeder.

I use a Hi-Standard Supermatic Trophy match pistol shooting CB caps
and she uses a wall-mart .177 pellet rifle. She's gotten deadly with
that old air rifle. 3 just yesterday. Awhile back I challenged her
to head-only shots. So that's what she's doing. What a lady!!! :-)

I toss 'em down in the woods where the feral cats are getting fat and
sassy. Again, too parasite-laden to even think about trying to eat.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 3/14/2018 12:07 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
Try picking a squirrel up sometime. HSS has nothing on their
chompers ;-)

My Dad use to whack them with a small hammer. ...

Your dad used to whack squirrels with a hammer? (Sorry, I couldn't
resist. G)

My brother and I got three swamp rabbits with a ball pein one night.
About every tenth rabbit we hit with a spotlight would run at an angle
toward us, then change by 90 deg or so, back and forth, until they
ended up at our feet. Whap, dead rabbit. The rest ran other
directions and escaped.

Man, I could go for some rabbit. Good eating.

Pete Keillor

We had a rat problem for a while in the old chicken barn we used for
the car club.one night a rat ranout from under my car and I let fly
with my size 12 boot and bounced the rat off the garagedoor at the
other end of the shop.

A few days later I nailed one in full flight with my big ball pien
hammer from about 15 feet.

2 very dead rats.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Neon John writes:

Yep, but the rabbits up here in the mountains are so parasite-infected
that I'd not want to touch one, much less skin one out.

Same here.

Shot a rabbit a couple of years ago, dropped it onto a clean white
sheet. In a few minutes, it was surrounded by ticks in all stages of
development fleeing the carcase. And of course, there were a whole
bunch that were in feeding mode that didn't drop off. Blech.

Collected a lot of the escapees, identified dermacentor, no ixodes,
under a scope but the ixodes are present here. So now I cremate
rabbits that are percussively dissuaded from eating the garden.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada